The Student Room Group

How can I stop myself stressing over my pathetic teacher.

I'm doing AS level Sociology at the moment.

The thing is, we're doing it with the WJEC exam board but we are learning from the AQA book. Some of the things in the AQA book is not relevant to the exam board and some of the things relevant to the exam board is not in the AQA book. Iv'e tried getting hold of the WJEC exam board book but they don't seem to have one one, all they have is the revision guide, which is helpful if you want a D grade, but for anything above that it's useless.

The WJEC exam has no actual specification, so I don't even know what I need to know apart from the topics in the revision guide. Iv'e looked at past papers and there seems to be topics that aren't in the AQA book or the WJEC book. Iv'e asked my teacher if we can do the AQA exam (as that's the more logical thing to do), but he said no. The teacher is no help at all.

When doing past papers, they have the most useless mark schemes iv'e come across, not to mention the fact that you have to pay for them.
Reply 1
The teacher does not decide the exam board; it is a joint decision between the teacher, the head of department and the head of sixth form. The exam entries will have already been made and paid for so the school would have to withdraw everyone, losing loads of money, and pay again to be entered for AQA.

The teacher is using the only book available; if there's no WJEC book then what else are they supposed to do? If you do all the work in class, use the revision guide, and ignore irrelevant parts in the AQA book then you shouldn't have any problems.
(edited 10 years ago)
It's a bit harsh to call your teacher pathetic when he's clearly doing all he can with limited resources.

You could try getting a copy of the WJEC revision guide and using it alongside the AQA book to fill in any gaps. If you focus on what's relevant to your course and ignore what isn't, then it shouldn't cause you too much of a problem.

Oh and here's the specification. If you have any concerns then your best bet is to email your teacher and find out what options you're doing for the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest