The Student Room Group

Exam Stress

I'm going into yr11 in September and im predicted all 8/9 for Gcse, but i stress alot and have had frequent mental breakdowns and panic attacks during school in exam season (the worst being my Mock exams which i have just done) as i get really stressed about it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as i feel like every time exams come around it gets worse and i want to keep this high standard everyone at school and family as well as myself has set for me. So i was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks. tysm
I would strongly encourage you to not do this because of the reputation it gives you, but because of the passion and desire for learning you hopefully have. I used to get really stressed too, but I used to think of it as excitement rather than nervousness because you will genuinely feel more positive about the whole experience. So while you're walking in that exam hall, or before, just say to yourself stuff like "I'm so excited to try my hardest" or "I'm so excited to show myself everything I'm capable of". It's a bit weird if you do it out loud but just say it in your head and try to envision that positive feeling it gives you.
Another tip is to do all of the questions you find easy, first. I used to do that in maths especially because it gave me this boost of confidence and I really needed that for those harder questions. It really helped me.
And yet another thing is to find out what works for you in terms of each different subject. For example, my maths tactic didn't work for me in English Lit and vice versa. So mess around with techniques and find out what works for you.
If you're really struggling, ask for help. I'm sure you have many qualified teachers, or even that one teacher you can talk to like a friend about what's going on. Sometimes you also just need somebody to listen to you, so don't be afraid to wave the white flag every once in a while because we're only human. And I promise you there's so many other students just like you that go through the same exact thing, all you have to do is reach out. You're doing amazing for asking for help so far though! And don't worry, you're gonna smash those exams if you're already predicted 8/9s. Just keep doing what you're already doing- with less of the stressing of course ahaha.
Well…. I’m no expert, I can only tell you what I’ve told my son (and he got 10 grade 9s at GCSE)

You’re suffering stress because you give yourself stress…l because if your parents and families expectations as well as your own

Your family shouldn’t be putting you under this level of pressure

I told my son that I loved him, no matter what. I’m proud that he has tried at school and wants to learn. The exam results are great for me to show off but what I take pride in is him and his attitude.

I told him, it doesn’t matter if he is unlucky on the day and doesn’t get the highest grades. Fir GCSE he has done around 13 years of schooling (3yrs old to 16 yrs old) which is a lot of effort to put in. If he looks back, has he generally tried his best? And that’s all anyone can ask.

I want him to soar high like an eagle…… but I am there as a safety net and will always be there for him, no matter what.

The above helps remove most of the stress

Another bunch of stress was removed by teaching him exam technique (which his school didn’t do)

So, don’t rush to answer the question, read the whole paper first. Tell your brain to think about the more difficult questions in the background while you answer the easier ones (it works, honest)

Break down the time for each question. Make sure you are keeping to time and if a question holds you back, move on.

Do read through and check your answers etc etc etc

To remove another bunch of stress, we did past papers and marked against the mark stream. If you are scoring 90-95% on past papers, why are you stressing about the real exam?

In short, it’s a multi layered approach but the big thing is your family should tell you that they love you and will be there for you whatever results you get (and, hey, there ain’t nothing wrong with an 8, it’s better than most people get)

I not sure if this helps you but that’s what we did and, given the work he has put in, the mocks he has done, the “no one expects perfection” and the safety net we provide, he really doesn’t need to stress too much

Hopefully this helps you to put exam results and the effort you have put in to better perspective
Reply 3
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Well…. I’m no expert, I can only tell you what I’ve told my son (and he got 10 grade 9s at GCSE)

You’re suffering stress because you give yourself stress…l because if your parents and families expectations as well as your own

I told my son that I loved him, no matter what. I’m proud that he has tried at school and wants to learn. The exam results are great for me to show off but what I take pride in is him and his attitude.

I told him, it doesn’t matter if he is unlucky on the day and doesn’t get the highest grades. Fir GCSE he has done around 13 years of schooling (3yrs old to 16 yrs old) which is a lot of effort to put in. If he looks back, has he generally tried his best? And that’s all anyone can ask.

I want him to soar high like an eagle…… but I am there as a safety net and will always be there for him, no matter what.

Another bunch of stress was removed by teaching him exam technique (which his school didn’t do)

So, don’t rush to answer the question, read the whole paper first. Tell your brain to think about the more difficult questions in the background while you answer the easier ones (it works, honest)

Break down the time for each question. Make sure you are keeping to time and if a question holds you back, move on.

To remove another bunch of stress, we did past papers and marked against the mark stream. If you are scoring 90-95% on past papers, why are you stressing about the real exam?

In short, it’s a multi layered approach but the big thing is your family should tell you that they love you and will be there for you whatever results you get (and, hey, there ain’t nothing wrong with an 8, it’s better than most people get)

I not sure if this helps you but that’s what we did and, given the work he has put in, the mocks he has done, the “no one expects perfection” and the safety net we provide, he really doesn’t need to stress too much

Hopefully this helps you to put exam results and the effort you have put in to better perspective

Unrelated but wanted to say you’re a great dad for being this supportive and caring!
Reply 4
Original post by HighlightOfUrDay
I would strongly encourage you to not do this because of the reputation it gives you, but because of the passion and desire for learning you hopefully have. I used to get really stressed too, but I used to think of it as excitement rather than nervousness because you will genuinely feel more positive about the whole experience. So while you're walking in that exam hall, or before, just say to yourself stuff like "I'm so excited to try my hardest" or "I'm so excited to show myself everything I'm capable of". It's a bit weird if you do it out loud but just say it in your head and try to envision that positive feeling it gives you.
Another tip is to do all of the questions you find easy, first. I used to do that in maths especially because it gave me this boost of confidence and I really needed that for those harder questions. It really helped me.
And yet another thing is to find out what works for you in terms of each different subject. For example, my maths tactic didn't work for me in English Lit and vice versa. So mess around with techniques and find out what works for you.
If you're really struggling, ask for help. I'm sure you have many qualified teachers, or even that one teacher you can talk to like a friend about what's going on. Sometimes you also just need somebody to listen to you, so don't be afraid to wave the white flag every once in a while because we're only human. And I promise you there's so many other students just like you that go through the same exact thing, all you have to do is reach out. You're doing amazing for asking for help so far though! And don't worry, you're gonna smash those exams if you're already predicted 8/9s. Just keep doing what you're already doing- with less of the stressing of course ahaha.

Thank you so much, just thinking about my revision these 6weeks for my exams in September is like stressful. I have alot going on at home as well as school, so sometimes it's abit of everything especially when exams come around. For me personally, i'm not worried about sitting in the hall and all the precautions alike other people, its 2 things. I hate the feeling of opening the exam paper and the fear that everything i have studied and revised wont be on the exam or that i will forget the content mid way through the exam. The worst bit for me is the Results. I got my results last lesson on the Friday, a week before we broke up so i want to say the 14th and i had French before and i felt ill like i was going to be sick all over the classroom, but anyways we go into the hall and i get my envelope and me and my friend sat at the back as we were one of the last ones in. We get this speech thing and then we get told we can open the envelopes and i had to wait 5 mins before i could look at mine because i was absolutely petrified about these stupid mock exam results and i look at my grade and predictions and i just remember putting it back in the envelope and going to get a drink. I come back up and my Geography teacher stops me and he walks up to my seat to speak to me and i just remember i started crying my eyes out because i was stressing about like what if i dont get these results next year and yeah i always have this thing in my head where that like if i dont do so well in an exam (and i mean like i even think a grade 7 is bad) that itll be the end of the world and that. It's just a lot you know? Sorry im talking alot it's nice to talk to someone about it you know so thanks.
Reply 5

That is amazing, im speechless. <3
No worries

So, tell me this.

You opened the results and were they good / what you expected or were they bad?

I’m betting they were good, right? I bet if you are predicted a string of 9s, that’s because you are a straight A student and always do well?

So, if I’m right, ask yourself this. “When all the evidence is that you consistently do well, why do you work yourself into a state with an expectation that you will do bad”?

Can you see the point I am trying to make? Your expectations don’t match your prior experience.

So, you then need to ask yourself why you have such low self esteem / such low expectations when the reality is that you are amazing

If you can answer that and truly accept that you are who you are then you will have less anxiety about results (or the paper) as your experience tells you that, with the work and preparation you have put in, it will be OK. You might find some bits challenging and some bits may take longer and there may even be some bits that you can’t do (perhaps because the teachers forgot to teach you that part of the course). But, if all the evidence is that you usually do well then you should simply keep up your work rate and accept (and expect) that you will be scoring 8s or 9s.

And, if you don’t get that score (and there’s no point worrying about it until you know the results) then that’s fine. It’s not the end of the world. You can ask for it to be remarked. You can resit. And, if it’s not a subject that you want to study at A level then does it really matter?

So, when you feel stressed, sit down, close your eyes, practice 7-11 breathing and tap both legs with your hands at the same time

7-11 breathing…. Breath in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. This helps cal:you down and reduces stress.

Tapping both thighs activates both sides of your brain allowing you to think more rationally

Closing your eyes shuts out distractions while you do this

Sitting down stops you falling over while you have your eyes shut and are hitting yourself 😂

Do this often enough and it’s like pavlovas dogs….. simply by tapping your legs your stress starts to reduce

Anyway, it’s just a stress relief tip for when you’re in the moment. There are others too but tis is very simple to do
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kaitlyn08
I'm going into yr11 in September and im predicted all 8/9 for Gcse, but i stress alot and have had frequent mental breakdowns and panic attacks during school in exam season (the worst being my Mock exams which i have just done) as i get really stressed about it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as i feel like every time exams come around it gets worse and i want to keep this high standard everyone at school and family as well as myself has set for me. So i was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks. tysm

Hi, I was in the exact same position last year (just did my exams). And I would be extremely anxious to the point that I would chip away at my nails, had stress induced sweat and would get headaches. After every mock exam/real exam I would be off straight to my teachers to go through the questions I was unsure about (which unironically turned out to be the whole paper) and STILL I would worry. In fact it’s been a month since my last exam and I’m still anxiously counting down the days till Results Day.

Hindsight is a precious thing of course and now I see how I could’ve managed my stress better.

First of all, please do not neglect your mental health a single bit and please take time to sort out useful measures that will help you destress. You could get a colouring in book and colour in one page every time you feel stressed or read a chapter of a book: just do something that will take your mind off of it.

Secondly, I think it’s important to realise WHERE your stress is coming from and if it is perhaps unfounded. Personally, I stressed over every subject and failed to admit to myself that I needn’t stress over some subjects such as Maths because I had practised and knew I could do well in those. I realised most of my stress came from English Literature because of the nature of the exams. Please do not stress over what you cannot control: you cannot control what questions come up or what poem comes up so there is no point worrying. Rest assured if you put in the practise (which you seem to be) you will get exactly what you deserve.

My maths teacher always said that exams are important but your mental health is even more important. Undue pressure from family or wanting to live up to certain expectations are unnecessary causes of stress. It might be interesting to look into the Spotlight Effect: essentially people pay much less attention to you than you think so you shouldn’t really care about what others think. I understand it’s different in the context of exams with parents but it’s important to note that you can and will still get to your chosen route post-16 without getting all 9s for example (even though this is what we all want).

I think my History teacher gave the best advice that I think came in clutch. She would say to cherish the moment, take it in and think about it objectively. Think about it as an opportunity to show what you know and as a special moment that you will only experience once per exam. This might sound pretty basic but it helped me. Whilst doing my exams, I would imagine completing the GCSE papers for my teachers to mark, seeing their faces and wanting to do my absolute best so I would impress them. This I found to be most useful: don’t stress about the unpredictability of the questions that may come up in the exam but rather think about it as being any other exam you’re completing for your teacher. You know you have put in the hard work and consistently do well so you know the same will happen in the exam.

This is not arrogance or complacency but it is some confidence which often appears as arrogance or complacency for us folk who doubt ourselves too much.

I hope this helps if even a little and don’t hesitate to either reply back or DM me about anything!

You’ve got a good head on your shoulders so don’t forget that.
Reply 8
No worries

So, tell me this.

You opened the results and were they good / what you expected or were they bad?

I’m betting they were good, right? I bet if you are predicted a string of 9s, that’s because you are a straight A student and always do well?

So, if I’m right, ask yourself this. “When all the evidence is that you consistently do well, why do you work yourself into a state with an expectation that you will do bad”?

Can you see the point I am trying to make? Your expectations don’t match your prior experience.

So, you then need to ask yourself why you have such low self esteem / such low expectations when the reality is that you are amazing

If you can answer that and truly accept that you are who you are then you will have less anxiety about results (or the paper) as your experience tells you that, with the work and preparation you have put in, it will be OK. You might find some bits challenging and some bits may take longer and there may even be some bits that you can’t do (perhaps because the teachers forgot to teach you that part of the course). But, if all the evidence is that you usually do well then you should simply keep up your work rate and accept (and expect) that you will be scoring 8s or 9s.

And, if you don’t get that score (and there’s no point worrying about it until you know the results) then that’s fine. It’s not the end of the world. You can ask for it to be remarked. You can resit. And, if it’s not a subject that you want to study at A level then does it really matter?

So, when you feel stressed, sit down, close your eyes, practice 7-11 breathing and tap both legs with your hands at the same time

7-11 breathing…. Breath in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. This helps cal:you down and reduces stress.

Tapping both thighs activates both sides of your brain allowing you to think more rationally

Closing your eyes shuts out distractions while you do this

Sitting down stops you falling over while you have your eyes shut and are hitting yourself 😂

Do this often enough and it’s like pavlovas dogs….. simply by tapping your legs your stress starts to reduce

Anyway, it’s just a stress relief tip for when you’re in the moment. There are others too but tis is very simple to do

Thank you for that. Just to answer your previous question I got 3 7s, 2 8s and 2 9s for my mock results and predicted 2 8s and 5 9s as well as a 7 (randomly for photography). I've tried stress relief tactics in the past but personally the ones I've tried haven't worked, and most of the times, I forget them when I'm stressed. I've tried the 5 senses one and a few others, but I've always stuck to the 4-4-4 (sometimes 3) rule, breath in for 4, hold for 4, out for 4, as its I guess easy to remember and it doesn't really look strange or draw attention to myself as I'm just controlling my breathing
I'm really interested in trying this as I've never heard of this specific technique (no offence) but just by reading your instructions it sounds very relaxing. Thank you
Reply 9
Hey, just want to say thank you so much for giving me advice and tips on exams and everything. I came on here with not much hope but thank you because you've took time to actually like write a thoughtful genuine reply. Thank you
Original post by Kaitlyn08
Thank you so much, just thinking about my revision these 6weeks for my exams in September is like stressful. I have alot going on at home as well as school, so sometimes it's abit of everything especially when exams come around. For me personally, i'm not worried about sitting in the hall and all the precautions alike other people, its 2 things. I hate the feeling of opening the exam paper and the fear that everything i have studied and revised wont be on the exam or that i will forget the content mid way through the exam. The worst bit for me is the Results. I got my results last lesson on the Friday, a week before we broke up so i want to say the 14th and i had French before and i felt ill like i was going to be sick all over the classroom, but anyways we go into the hall and i get my envelope and me and my friend sat at the back as we were one of the last ones in. We get this speech thing and then we get told we can open the envelopes and i had to wait 5 mins before i could look at mine because i was absolutely petrified about these stupid mock exam results and i look at my grade and predictions and i just remember putting it back in the envelope and going to get a drink. I come back up and my Geography teacher stops me and he walks up to my seat to speak to me and i just remember i started crying my eyes out because i was stressing about like what if i dont get these results next year and yeah i always have this thing in my head where that like if i dont do so well in an exam (and i mean like i even think a grade 7 is bad) that itll be the end of the world and that. It's just a lot you know? Sorry im talking alot it's nice to talk to someone about it you know so thanks.

Yeah, no problem don't worry about it. I like putting my tips out there in case they help anyone too. I know what you mean though in terms of worrying that you're not going to get those same grades next year, but what if you will? Try thinking like that next time you're really worried. And if that doesn't help then just know you're doing amazing by being worried because although it sounds weird, it means you really care and that's a good thing. However, too much worrying is really bad for your health and if anything might stand in the way of your getting those grades next year it's the worrying you're doing.
I read your bit about worrying you'll forget content mid-paper and I remembered something else I used to do before I even started the exam. I still do it since I do Chemistry for A-Level: I don't even open the paper when the exam starts, I just turn the paper to the back, and give myself five minutes to blurt every little piece of information that I think I'll need, for example equations, definitions, etc. Then, and only then do I open the paper. It really does help me.
Also, now is really the time you should be experimenting with exam technique. So less of the stressing girl! You need to find out what works for you in that exam hall because I promise you, teachers will understand.
You are doing amazing though I promise you. Don't let a bad grade put you down. Allow it to build you up by listening to the feedback from your teachers and by learning markschemes for content specific subjects like bio, (if you do business that's another one I learned the MS for), etc. What helped me was writing down the questions I got wrong (like writing out the question itself) and then writing the answer(s) about ten times. usually in science those questions repeat themselves cause they can't really ask you anything else, so it rlly helped.
if you have any other Q's or just wanna talk then just msg me, but I promise you when I say you're doing amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest