The Student Room Group

Don’t want to car share due to anxiety how can I get out of this?

I’l try to sum this up the best I can. Basically for the past year I have had quite bad anxiety to the point where it has affected my work.

Although I’ve improved a little I decided to ditch the full on life for some time and have got myself a job working from home which I start soon. I know that some will argue that this is avoidance and so will make anxiety worse, but I have tried all the get up and get on with it approaches and that fact is I’m just still uncomfortable in myself and being out and about at the moment. I will build on this whilst I’m working from home.

Anyway my concern is that the job requires me to travel 2 hours from home several times per month. This is fine i’l just have to deal with it but an old collegue happens to be starting too. He has suggested that we car share to save petrol etc. As pathetic as it sounds I would feel more comfortable just going on my own (I prefer driving myself than being a passenger) because then I wouldn’t feel as trapped if I had a panic attack I could stop/rest and go at my own pace. I was already worrying about the long journey/distance from home but car sharing just feels like an added stress.

I know this sounds pathetic but I guess this is what I am at the moment - the UK’s biggest wimp lol. Hopefully I can regain my former self eventually. Honestly prior to 2022 I was so confident, worked all through covid and would travel loads.

I am wondering though how can I avoid car sharing with this collegue what excuse can I use?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’l try to sum this up the best I can. Basically for the past year I have had quite bad anxiety to the point where it has affected my work.

Although I’ve improved a little I decided to ditch the full on life for some time and have got myself a job working from home which I start soon. I know that some will argue that this is avoidance and so will make anxiety worse, but I have tried all the get up and get on with it approaches and that fact is I’m just still uncomfortable in myself and being out and about at the moment. I will build on this whilst I’m working from home.

Anyway my concern is that the job requires me to travel 2 hours from home several times per month. This is fine i’l just have to deal with it but an old collegue happens to be starting too. He has suggested that we car share to save petrol etc. As pathetic as it sounds I would feel more comfortable just going on my own (I prefer driving myself than being a passenger) because then I wouldn’t feel as trapped if I had a panic attack I could stop/rest and go at my own pace. I was already worrying about the long journey/distance from home but car sharing just feels like an added stress.

I know this sounds pathetic but I guess this is what I am at the moment - the UK’s biggest wimp lol. Hopefully I can regain my former self eventually. Honestly prior to 2022 I was so confident, worked all through covid and would travel loads.

I am wondering though how can I avoid car sharing with this collegue what excuse can I use?

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with anxiety. It's important to prioritize your mental health and well-being. When it comes to avoiding car sharing with your colleague while working on managing your anxiety, honesty is often the best approach. Here's a suggestion for addressing the situation:

You can have an open and honest conversation with your colleague, explaining your situation without going into too much detail if you're not comfortable. You might say something like, "I appreciate the offer to car share, but I've been dealing with some personal anxiety issues lately, and I find that I'm more comfortable traveling on my own at the moment. I hope you understand."

Most people will appreciate your honesty and should be understanding of your need for some space and independence during this time. Remember, it's essential to prioritize your mental health, and your well-being should always come first.
Reply 2
^ Thanks for your reply and understanding. I think that’s what I’m really bad at being honest, it is probably the right thing to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending