The Student Room Group

Igcse 2014 may/june discussion thread

Hey guys! I made this so we can discuss the May/June IGCSEs. This includes all your prep and revision before the exams, so dont hold back! I also wont mind if you just chat to get to know the other applicants. Hope this comes in handy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey i m doing the exams...........i m struggling in with english 1st language due to my bull**** teacher & am wondering if you could give me any tips :biggrin:
Original post by AR13
hey i m doing the exams...........i m struggling in with english 1st language due to my bull**** teacher & am wondering if you could give me any tips :biggrin:

Sure! what dyu need help with?
Reply 3
Hey! Doing CIE English Lit and Lang and Edexcel sciences and French :smile:

How's revision going?
Original post by danconway
Hey! Doing CIE English Lit and Lang and Edexcel sciences and French :smile:

How's revision going?

Good-ish! Just completing past papers, I guess! Which is super hard for CIE English Language, cause I've done them all for my combination. Any idea what I can do next? What about you, done with revision?

My subjects, Btw, are all CIE, all extended:
English Lit, Lang, Second language hindi, History, Art, Physics, Chem, Bio, and maths. :smile:
Reply 5
Are you guys' exams starting on 6th of May (Maths paper 2)?
Reply 6
Original post by C0balt

Yep, biology paper 6.
Original post by C0balt

Mine are! Extended or core? :smile: I'm doing extended. :biggrin:
Original post by pbunny
Yep, biology paper 6.

I'm not giving paper 6, I'm sending a coursework portfolio instead
Reply 9
Original post by CiaraVeliaAdele
Mine are! Extended or core? :smile: I'm doing extended. :biggrin:

I'm also doing extended. (Paper 2 and 4 are extended)
Reply 10
Sure! what dyu need help with?

english p 2 p3 & pure maths!i m on a B now.just wanna push them up to an A :biggrin:............so any tips & suggestions?what u think might come up for pure maths in exam?
Original post by C0balt
I'm also doing extended. (Paper 2 and 4 are extended)

Awesome! Hows revision coming along? Also which subjects are you taking?
Original post by AR13
english p 2 p3 & pure maths!i m on a B now.just wanna push them up to an A :biggrin:............so any tips & suggestions?what u think might come up for pure maths in exam?

For maths: past papers are key. Its literally the only way you can revise for maths. You just need to make sure your concepts are thourough, and keep practicing. practice for maths everyday.

As for english: are you asking for language, or literature?
Reply 13
Awesome! Hows revision coming along? Also which subjects are you taking?

Revision is going horribly. Haven't done anything in particular lol.

I'm taking:
English first language extended
English literature
Maths extended
Coordinated science double award
History
Geography
French as a foreign language
Reply 14
For maths: past papers are key. Its literally the only way you can revise for maths. You just need to make sure your concepts are thourough, and keep practicing. practice for maths everyday.

As for english: are you asking for language, or literature?

language........taking extended
Original post by C0balt
Revision is going horribly. Haven't done anything in particular lol.

I'm taking:
English first language extended
English literature
Maths extended
Coordinated science double award
History
Geography
French as a foreign language

Oh dear, thats not very good? why not go study now, I would prefer that. If you dont want to, you are more than welcome to talk, but itd do you better to study. :smile:

Also: have you seen my subjects? we have 4 in common I think. All of mine are extended though, I see you've specified. :smile:
Reply 16
Oh dear, thats not very good? why not go study now, I would prefer that. If you dont want to, you are more than welcome to talk, but itd do you better to study. :smile:

Also: have you seen my subjects? we have 4 in common I think. All of mine are extended though, I see you've specified. :smile:

history, geography, literature don't have extended.
mine are all extended as well not considering the ones without extended option. oh so french and english lang are also extended for me i forgot to put
Original post by AR13
language........taking extended

Okay! So I've got only 1 language paper, paper 2. I'm sending in my coursework portfolio, which is paper four. So tips follow:
Paper 2:
Use the proper format for whichever directed writing piece you get. For speeches, make sure to use these techniques:
D- Descriptive Language
E -Emotive Language
F- Facts
O-Opinons
R-Rhetorical Questions
E-Exaggeration
S-Statistics
T-Triple Structure

Keep in mind the voice of your character for maximum effect.

As for question 2: Use a variety of words from the text, and discuss their denotative and connotative meaning thouroughly. Dont forget punctuation, this is important as hell okay. most people forget. dont forget.

Summary: (by far the easiest part imo):
Literally just group up similar ideas into 1-2 sentences. Your vocabulary needs to be strong here, cause you cant just pick up words and phrases okay.

I dont know what paper 3 is like, cause I'm not giving it, but in my coursework portfolio I got a full in the descriptive component which requires a good vocab, so all I can suggest is trying to build a nice vocab. It is english language, after all. Try developing it such that synonyms come easily. Dont experiment during the finals, but be innovative in your ideas. Try using quotes/stats if you're doing informative/argumentative idk. My forte is descriptive/narrative/imaginative, and I really dont know much about paper 3, sorry!

Hope this helped though. Need more help?
Reply 18
Hi guys I'm doing igcse english lit and lang with edexcel. I was wondering what it means when it says how does the writer explore the theme of....... Or explore the theme of......... I don't quite understand the wording of the question
thanks
Hello all :wavey: I'm doing IGCSE English Literature. I've done a piece of coursework on comparing poems in the AQA 'Moon on the Tides' anthalogy and OMAM. I have an exam on the 20th May on R&J and Unseen Poetry.

Quick Reply

Latest