The Student Room Group

Anyone ever been on a holiday on their own?

Where did you go? For how long? And how was it on your own? I think I might have to do this in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm kinda doing it later this year. My friends and boyfriend are skint so can't afford a holiday, whereas I have some money and couldn't handle not having a holiday haha! I'm going on a week long road trip with TrekAmerica - I travel to new york alone (from Scotland) but once I meet the rest of my group I won't be alone. Something like that is always available to consider if you don't really want to be alone the whole time& would prefer to share the experience with other people :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by peedie pixie
I'm kinda doing it later this year. My friends and boyfriend are skint so can't afford a holiday, whereas I have some money and couldn't handle not having a holiday haha! I'm going on a week long road trip with TrekAmerica - I travel to new york alone (from Scotland) but once I meet the rest of my group I won't be alone. Something like that is always available to consider if you don't really want to be alone the whole time& would prefer to share the experience with other people :smile:

Ooo New York, that's nice. Definitely on my list though the cheapest I find is about £700. I think I will have to. It's gonna take some courage because I've never been on a holiday on my own and can't imagine what I'll do for a week or two alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Ooo New York, that's nice. Definitely on my list though the cheapest I find is about £700. I think I will have to. It's gonna take some courage because I've never been on a holiday on my own and can't imagine what I'll do for a week or two alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely not cheap to go alone. In total (including spending money) my holiday is going to cost me about £1600 - the couple holidays I've been on with friends cost me between £700 and £900. Look into "singles holidays" - not single as in relationship status as it sounds, but just aimed at the sole traveller and tends to bung you in groups with other like minded people. Means you'll have company and not have to worry about finding stuff to do. I wouldn't be brave enough to go alone, which is why I'm doing TrekAmerica instead :smile:
Reply 4
It's definitely not cheap to go alone. In total (including spending money) my holiday is going to cost me about £1600 - the couple holidays I've been on with friends cost me between £700 and £900. Look into "singles holidays" - not single as in relationship status as it sounds, but just aimed at the sole traveller and tends to bung you in groups with other like minded people. Means you'll have company and not have to worry about finding stuff to do. I wouldn't be brave enough to go alone, which is why I'm doing TrekAmerica instead :smile:

Oh ok, thanks I'll do that. Probably heading off to Morocco at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm desperate to go to Madrid on my own but can't afford it. Need moneyz...

It's often cheaper to sort the holiday out yourself rather than as a package - you can choose the cheapest flights, cheapest accommodation etc. It just takes some time and is more risky cos you don't really know what everything will be like.
Reply 7
Not me, but my neighbour who's the same age as me has just been away for a month travelling all over the US, from New York to Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Grand Canyon etc. He dished out a lot, but he's well off so wasn't too much of a problem for him. Seemed like he had a good experience, but I would rather do it with a few mates and make it an absolute blast.
Reply 8
I'm going away by myself for the first time this year.. I'm quite excited - just got to get through my exams... :/
Sorry to butt in on your thread OP but I'm also looking to go away by myself somewhere in the summer as none of my friends can afford it!

If anyone has any other companies like Contiki, TrekAmerica etc that do the whole group tour things for students, please let me know and I will be so appreciative! Trying to find something cool but also something I can afford!
Original post by The Wild Youth
Sorry to butt in on your thread OP but I'm also looking to go away by myself somewhere in the summer as none of my friends can afford it!

If anyone has any other companies like Contiki, TrekAmerica etc that do the whole group tour things for students, please let me know and I will be so appreciative! Trying to find something cool but also something I can afford!

Probably included in the 'etc' but just thought I'd say STA Travel :smile:
Just me. 3 months. Across North Canada and East Alaska.

EPIC. My time. Met lots of people along the way. If I wanted to rest, I did. If I wanted to go on a long hike, I did. Didn't answer to anyone except my flight bookings!

Didn't book through TrekAmerica. Just me and my own planning (borrowed a friend's car). Total cost: £2500 (including flights, gifts, postage stamps, food and gas).
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I have been to India, Dubai andGermany myself.... Loved it .. so much better than traveling with family and friends :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kenya, three weeks.

Probably wouldn't do it again, I get too bored of myself. Although safari was amazing.
Dunno if it counts but went to London alone in January. Had planned to go for 3 nights but ended up staying for 5. That was my first ever trip alone anywhere. Planning on going somewhere else this year.. Not sure where. Then Australia next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 15
Original post by qwerty_mad
Oh ok, thanks I'll do that. Probably heading off to Morocco at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Morocco and the most expensive part is finding a room. A flight won't cost you much from like easy jet or ryanair maybe £50-70 with lots of luggage and food there does not cost that much.
£10 = about 160 Dirhams which would buy you a lot.
There's also lovely things to see like the beaches, seaside towns and Sahara deserts where the outside of hotels are made out of sand castles and you can sand-board down the dunes.
I went to New York for one week in the Christmas holidays. I had been to New York that summer and was eager to go back, so I booked the holiday and went without telling my parents. I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive about travelling without an adult because I've only ever been on transatlantic flights with my parents but the freedom was quite exhilarating. I loved the feeling of being able to do whatever I wanted when I wanted and when I arrived I went crazy! Travelling alone increased my level of independence and made me feel more confident. I can't wait to do it again, I'll be travelling alone to New York this summer.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest