The Student Room Group

Modern Languages and History

I am currently studying IB and doing French, Spanish and History as highers and I love them all! That's why I'm thinking of studying Modern Languages and History - is this a good idea? Is there any point in studying only one language? Also, I'm not sure which to pick French or Spanish?

Any advice?
I applied for German and History this year and will be studying at Edinburgh come September. I'd personally recommend going for a joint honours degree, even though you would only be studying one language. I think a language and especially subjects such as history/IR/social sciences/literature would complement each other very well. Also, if you'd still want the opportunity to study more than one language, have you considered applying to a Scottish university? :smile: The system is designed in very flexible way (4 yr degree), so in the first two years you have to take 3 subjects and don't decide upon your subjects for honours until the end of 2nd year. So, you have the opportunity to chop and change your degree. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice- I'm thinking of applying for a Scottish uni - maybe Edinburgh as I like the look of the courses there and I think it would be good to do both my languages and history. Have fun at uni!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending