The Student Room Group

So it was the rebels who used the chemical weapons, US lies again?

[video="youtube_share;LeJwh2fF_H4"]http://youtu.be/LeJwh2fF_H4[/video]

Syria: UN Mission Report Confirms that “Opposition” Rebels Used Chemical Weapons against Civilians and Government Forces

http://www.globalresearch.ca/syria-un-mission-report-confirms-that-opposition-rebels-used-chemical-weapons-against-civilians-and-government-forces/5363139

On December 13, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon signed identical letters to the UN General Assembly and Security Council, stating:

“I have the honour to convey herewith the final report of the United Nations Mission to investigate allegations of the use of chemical weapons in the Syrian Arab Republic”
The letter of transmittal was signed by Professor Ake Sellstrom, Head of Mission, and Dr. Maurizio Barbeschi, signing for the WHO component

Please Mr Obama, where is your red line?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube_share;GCBhyzRELLw"]http://youtu.be/GCBhyzRELLw[/video]
[video="youtube_share;R53W_3sAv8A"]http://youtu.be/R53W_3sAv8A[/video]

RON PAUL FTW
The US, lying? You must be mistaken...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Can you reference the actual lie?
Thanks.
Reply 6

That's not a lie. They were just wrong!

For example, I could conclude from this thread that although your intention was to be interesting you are an idiot. I might be wrong but I wouldn't be lying. It's a deduction I made.
Original post by CB101
That's not a lie. They were just wrong!

For example, I could conclude from this thread that although your intention was to be interesting you are an idiot. I might be wrong but I wouldn't be lying. It's a deduction I made.

If you look into politics, you will know this is not the first time the US has accused a government of having 'weapons' or 'using weapons'.

Iraq 2003 - Saddam has WMD'S

Assad 2013 - He used chemical weapons - we are confident.

Can you not see there are all pretexts?

Do you think they made an innocent mistake?

Even Ron Paul called the evidence Obama used to 'conclude' bogus.
Reply 8
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt
If you look into politics, you will know this is not the first time the US has accused a government of having 'weapons' or 'using weapons'.

Iraq 2003 - Saddam has WMD'S

Assad 2013 - He used chemical weapons - we are confident.

Can you not see there are all pretexts?

Do you think they made an innocent mistake?

Even Ron Paul called the evidence Obama used to 'conclude' bogus.

I'm not going to pass judgement on the US' claim that it was Assad who used chemical weapons, but can you seriously not see the huge flaw in comparing this situation to Iraq and the WMDs? One actually happened, one didn't.
Original post by Ronove
I'm not going to pass judgement on the US' claim that it was Assad who used chemical weapons, but can you seriously not see the huge flaw in comparing this situation to Iraq and the WMDs? One actually happened, one didn't.

Both times, the US accuses a government they want to destabalise of having access to and potentially using dangerous weapons.

Both times they clearly used bias 'evidence' to try and destabalize said governments and were proved wrong when proper investigations were carried out.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
The US, lying? You must be mistaken...

The OP has quoted a Russia Today news article. The same Russia Today that is financed by the Russian Government.

The same government the backs Assads regime in Syria and has also just annexed part of the Ukraine.

I've often wondered who the weak minded are who fall for another states propaganda.
Original post by MatureStudent36
The OP has quoted a Russia Today news article. The same Russia Today that is financed by the Russian Government.

The same government the backs Assads regime in Syria and has also just annexed part of the Ukraine.

I've often wondered who the weak minded are who fall for another states propaganda.

You probably support the (largely foreign) Islamist extremist so called 'rebels'. :rolleyes:

The Russian government finances RT, but let's not pretend the media in the West isn't dominated by corporate interests and corrupted by the likes of Murdoch.

Most of the people in Crimea are ethnic-Russians and their first language is mainly Russian. A democratically elected government was overthrown and replaced with one that immediately removed Russian as an official language of Ukraine. Now that adds context, lets look at the referendum results: roughly 97% voted to join Russia with a voter turnout of over 80%. Despite the rather limited options in the referendum (join Russia or revert to 1992 constitution) a result that overwhelming cannot be ignored.
You probably support the (largely foreign) Islamist extremist so called 'rebels'. :rolleyes:

The Russian government finances RT, but let's not pretend the media in the West isn't dominated by corporate interests and corrupted by the likes of Murdoch.

Most of the people in Crimea are ethnic-Russians and their first language is mainly Russian. A democratically elected government was overthrown and replaced with one that immediately removed Russian as an official language of Ukraine. Now that adds context, lets look at the referendum results: roughly 97% voted to join Russia with a voter turnout of over 80%. Despite the rather limited options in the referendum (join Russia or revert to 1992 constitution) a result that overwhelming cannot be ignored.

Russia has supported military action in two country's that it has a strategic interest in. both of which have Russian military naval bases in. Funny that.
Reply 13
None of this confirms the use of WMD's on the 21st of August was carried out by the rebels. I thought it was already well known that various rebel groups in Syria had gained possession of chemical weapons. I don't really see why it is not plausible that both the rebels and the government in Syria have been using Sarin. Given the sophistication of the attack on the 21st and the fact that the rockets used originated from government held territory I do not find it convincing at all that the major use of chemical weapons was carried out by the rebels and not the government.
Russia has supported military action in two country's that it has a strategic interest in. both of which have Russian military naval bases in. Funny that.

Funny how you ignored everything else I wrote.

Speaking of military bases...

9946_8fe2.jpeg
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt

Yeah but this weapon actually went off. Sarin gas was used. No-one knows who used it but it is right that we get to the bottom of it because it's a banned weapon.

Saddam Hussein said he had them then everyone was shocked that the US went to take him down then found nothing. How is that the US lying?

No-one's even saying that the Crimea shouldn't have been allowed to leave Ukraine if it wanted to. The current situation there is crazy. Russia should've worked with the UN in sorting this out, not walk into an EU neighbour and annex a part of it in a very short space of time. Regardless as to what Ukraine is doing, this is very provocative.

That's like saying Austria wasn't annexed by Germany in the 1930 because people in Austria supported Hitler.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
None of this confirms the use of WMD's on the 21st of August was carried out by the rebels. I thought it was already well known that various rebel groups in Syria had gained possession of chemical weapons. I don't really see why it is not plausible that both the rebels and the government in Syria have been using Sarin. Given the sophistication of the attack on the 21st and the fact that the rockets used originated from government held territory I do not find it convincing at all that the major use of chemical weapons was carried out by the rebels and not the government.

Source? This suggests otherwise.

A team of security and arms experts, meeting this week in Washington to discuss the matter, has concluded that the range of the rocket that delivered sarin in the largest attack that night was too short for the device to have been fired from the Syrian government positions where the Obama administration insists they originated.
Reply 17
Source? This suggests otherwise.

This report from HRW

Apparently the rebels also were not believed to have access to the launcher that was used to fire the rockets on the 21st of August.

Seems odd the rebels could go from small scale Sarin attacks that are mentioned in the OP's post to pulling off something on the scale of Ghouta

Speaking of military bases...

9946_8fe2.jpeg

Different argument . I was merely pointing out that Russia Today is a tool of the Russian Government. Be wary of what they tell you.

I was thinking of giving this argument on another thread in response to the same person, but didn't for fear of being accused of ad-hominem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending