The Student Room Group

How much housework do you have to do?

I feel like my dad is obsessed with bossing me about and making me do housework. I understand I have to help out, but he leaves me lists of things to do everyday. This includes: hoovering everywhere, dusting everywhere, mopping, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, doing the dishes, clearing out my room, making dinner for everyone, just basically everything. I feel like I'm not allowed to be sat reading or something, because then he'll make me do something. I'm not even allowed to stay in bed later than 9:30. He just loves bossing me about, he always tells me to go and make a cup of tea when he could make one, he always tells me to put things away when he could do it himself because he's right next to what needs putting away, just little things like that really annoy me. He says revision doesn't excuse me from the housework so I have little time to revise because of all the housework he makes me do, plus I have a job. Literally nothing excuses me, today I am ILL as I was throwing up past night, but I'm still being made to take everything out my room, including my bed, my heavy wardrobes, my desk, everything so I can clean it. I am so fed up. I feel awful and yet all my parents care about is me doing housework.
Reply 1
Why are they making you do everything?
Tell your parents you're not their slave, if they want something done, they can do it.

I understand doing one or two chores here and there but this is taking the biscuit. Don't stand for it. Say no.
Reply 2
Because they "work full time". In fact the other week, I'd just come home from an 8 hour shift and my feet were understandably sore, and my dad said when I walked in "take the dog out for a walk, she hasn't been out today" when it was his day off and he hadn't done anything.
I wish I could take a stand and say no, but when I have in the past it's just lead to an argument. If I complain that I'm being made to do too much, they always guilt trip me and go on about how they need help and how they are good parents, and apart from the obsession with housework, they are. They support me through uni, help me out etc.
May I also add that my brother hasn't been asked to do anything, and he isn't ill like I am. I'm so upset.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put the washing up away, do the ironing, hoover upstairs and sometimes sort the washing out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by fortunesfool
I put the washing up away, do the ironing, hoover upstairs and sometimes sort the washing out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you made to do this when your parents know you have revision/plans/are ill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
They decided to become parents and start a family, it's their responsibility to be doing the majority of the work tbh.

I mean fair enough, they are your parents and I'm sure they've done a lot for you. But if they are asking you to solely take care of all household chores, it's not right. And your brother gets off scot free? If you have to do stuff around the house, they should ask him too? Bring this up, they need to see how unfair they are being.

My parents work full time too, but don't expect me to do anything around the house. I think asking your kids to do little things is reasonable, but you're doing too much. Your parents need to see that they are asking WAY too much of you. Tell them to stop being lazy.
Reply 6
When I lived with my mum, I didn't do any cleaning. My mum is a perfectionist and obsessive so she always liked things done a certain way and would go mad if she found an ornament out of place so she done it all herself. I did offer but she told me to my face she didn't trust me with cleaning lol. My bf and all his brothers had to do tidying from a young age, especially my bf since he was the oldest.

Now me and my bf have our own place, we just tidy on a need to basis rather than daily. As long as we put everything in the bin and hoover the cat hair, we don't have to full on tidy often. We also use paper plates so that saves on washing the dishes for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Tidy my room
Wash my bottles
Do my bedsheets
Put clothes in the washing machine
do the dishes once in a blue moon
I have to clean my room every week, do my washing and ironing, care for my guinea pigs and I'm expected to generally help out as well ( hoovering, washing up, helping my brother, sweeping up, wiping the table e.t.c) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending