The Student Room Group

Ruined my uni chances?

I dropped out of college around december time (year 12), I hated the place, my courses, the people there, the teachers, etc etc etc blah blah blah. I'm going to a new college in september (still not entirely sure on what I even want to study) but is this 9 month gap in full time education going to put good/russell group unis off? Does it depend on if i've done something valuable with my time (I haven't but I can stretch the truth) or what grades I come out with at AS or something else or will they not care?
You can apply for college next year(won't be a sixth form). You can't go to any uni without A2 grades, forger AS or good ones. Go get your a levels(2 years, worth it even if its hard). Just curious what did you get at Gcse?
Reply 2
Original post by whydoidothis?
You can apply for college next year(won't be a sixth form). You can't go to any uni without A2 grades, forger AS or good ones. Go get your a levels(2 years, worth it even if its hard). Just curious what did you get at Gcse?

2 A*s, 3 As, 1 B, 3 Cs
Original post by aelsie
2 A*s, 3 As, 1 B, 3 Cs

That's good :smile:, gcses don't matter a lot but yours are good. You really should do your a levels next year(or sooner if possible).
Reply 4
Original post by whydoidothis?
That's good :smile:, gcses don't matter a lot but yours are good. You really should do your a levels next year(or sooner if possible).

Yeah that's what I plan on doing, I just dont know if the fact that I dropped out is gonna put off some universities
Your A Levels are going to be the most important factor, but dropping out is one of those things best glossed over. Don't tell them that you left because you didn't like it - they may end up wondering if you'll do the same at uni.

Find something productive to do - there's still time. They want to see people who are self motivated and 9 months of lazing around will impress no one. You can't lie on your PS - by all means make the best of what you've got, but everything you say must be true. You don't have to fill your time with paid employment and travel as in a traditional gap year. Volunteering - even if it's not relevant to your degree course - will look good.

In short, no you haven't ruined your chances, but if you do something with this time it will look much better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aelsie
I dropped out of college around december time (year 12), I hated the place, my courses, the people there, the teachers, etc etc etc blah blah blah. I'm going to a new college in september (still not entirely sure on what I even want to study) but is this 9 month gap in full time education going to put good/russell group unis off? Does it depend on if i've done something valuable with my time (I haven't but I can stretch the truth) or what grades I come out with at AS or something else or will they not care?

It'll be fine. I left my 6th form halfway through year 12 and started again at a new college. I got offers from Bath as well as 4 Russell group unis including Oxford and UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending