The Student Room Group

Sanctions against Russia

What's your opinion? Should they get sanctioned or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They already are being sanctioned. Further sanctions may be inevitable, as could potential military action unless the
situation is defused. Those in Ukraine having taken European observers isn't helpful to the cause either.

No-one can say for certain what will happen, hopefully not war.
I reckon we should send all the immigrants to Russia to flood their economy.
I think we should send a a Nuclear bomb full of Smarties over to Russia so when it explodes Moscow will be showered with Smarties.
Reply 4
Original post by 1001Shab

Yes, they should.....but so should Israel. Deep down, the real reason for the sanctions is the US hates Russia. However, you won't see Israel getting sanctioned when they are doing far worse then Russia and for far longer.

Eastern Ukraine clearly wants separation from the rest of Ukraine but Russia needs to let them do that by themselves.
Reply 5
They have Europe over a barrel (literally) regarding oil.

If they do invade the Ukraine, then frankly I think we should take the economic hit and go for a full oil embargo, along with everything else. Some things are more important than money. But narrow self-interest will presumably prevail over democratic ideals.

Still, the case for developing energy independence has never been stronger. That will probably be the real take-home message Europe takes out of this. We won't have leverage over Russia until we can do without them.
Reply 6
Original post by nathan2k1
They already are being sanctioned. Further sanctions may be inevitable, as could potential military action unless the
situation is defused. Those in Ukraine having taken European observers isn't helpful to the cause either.

No-one can say for certain what will happen, hopefully not war.

The only country who will go to war with Russia is Ukraine. Have history lessons of the cold war not told you the US doesn't have the balls to **** with Russia?
Reply 7
Original post by antipathy

If they do invade the Ukraine, then frankly I think we should take the economic hit and go for a full oil embargo, along with everything else. Some things are more important than money. But narrow self-interest will presumably prevail over democratic ideals.

Still, the case for developing energy independence has never been stronger. That will probably be the real take-home message Europe takes out of this. We won't have leverage over Russia until we can do without them.

Gas, not oil.
Reply 8
Original post by uxa595
Gas, not oil.

Pedantic much? :curious:
Reply 9

Problem: Too much reliance on Russian Gas.
Solution: Increase reliance on a non existant US capacity to supply EU.

Solid EU logic.

Keep confusing oil with gas. Different continent lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Pedantic much? :curious:

They're pretty different lol. I didn't mean it in a dick way, my bad :tongue:
Original post by 1001Shab

No but yeah.
Reply 12
Original post by Pulse.
Problem: Too much reliance on Russian Gas.
Solution: Increase reliance on a non existant US capacity to supply EU.

Solid EU logic.

Errr. No. That would be something of a short term band-aid.

The long-term solution would be to increase domestic energy generation, either by renewables or nuclear, whichever appeals more to the respective electorate.
Put it this way, who has invaded multiple countries in the past decade?

Who has encircled and continues to do so under expansion plans?

Who de-railed a legitimate Ukraine government in the hopes of getting more military bases and installing a Black Sea naval base?

Who planned to bomb a country fighting Jihad militants on a false premise of chemical weapons?

Who constantly demands from a country that literally owns them whilst backing two xenophobic countries? (Japan & Israel?)

I can tell you now, its not Russia.

Just ebcause Hollywood portrays NATO as the hero does not mean we are heroic. This situation is a perfect example as to why politicians should be the first to die in any potential conflict/war. They would think twice about stirring the pot with their own lies, bull**** and table banging.

My costs are going to go up because we have now the real issue of absorbing Ukraine into the EU. A useless state by any means, with their only plus being their women.

Their military is useless, they dont sell anything worthwhile and to top it off they have a **** load of debt to offer us when the likes of the IMF get them hooked onc redit.

Russia has played their hand perfectly, I tip my hat to them.
Original post by uxa595
Yes, they should.....but so should Israel. Deep down, the real reason for the sanctions is the US hates Russia. However, you won't see Israel getting sanctioned when they are doing far worse then Russia and for far longer.

Eastern Ukraine clearly wants separation from the rest of Ukraine but Russia needs to let them do that by themselves.

Please just **** off

If you want to talk about Israel then start another thread on it.
Original post by TSRgawdlike

Who de-railed a legitimate Ukraine government in the hopes of getting more military bases and installing a Black Sea naval base?

Who planned to bomb a country fighting Jihad militants on a false premise of chemical weapons?

Who constantly demands from a country that literally owns them whilst backing two xenophobic countries? (Japan & Israel?)

Just to point out Russia has invaded multiple countries in the past ten years

Also, I don't really see why NATO would want a base in the Black Sea which is close to being useles.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Russia needs to be knocked down a few pegs. For a country with an economy smaller than the UK the act like they all that.
Reply 17
Original post by TSRgawdlike

Just ebcause Hollywood portrays NATO as the hero does not mean we are heroic. This situation is a perfect example as to why politicians should be the first to die in any potential conflict/war. They would think twice about stirring the pot with their own lies, bull**** and table banging.

My costs are going to go up because we have now the real issue of absorbing Ukraine into the EU. A useless state by any means, with their only plus being their women.

Their military is useless, they dont sell anything worthwhile and to top it off they have a **** load of debt to offer us when the likes of the IMF get them hooked onc redit.

Russia has played their hand perfectly, I tip my hat to them.

I could not care less if america went around bombing ponies and unicorns

This is about russia once AGAIN bullying and annexing land in eastern europe.

Russia is just as xenophobic as japan and Israel if not more to non arabs . In japan they stare at you in russia they beat you up and in Israel they deport you.

What russia did in Chechneya is 10x worse that what Israel has done in gaza
Massive respect to Russia standing up against the EU dictatorship.
I wonder how this will play out hmm..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending