The Student Room Group

is this e-mail formal enough for the university of cambrudge?

Dear Sir or Madam,
this is to request more information about you entrance requirement for the law department of the university of Cambridge, I am an Algerian student and I am about to take my final exam of high school (baccaulaureate exam), I am planning to book for a foundation year in order to apply to a british univerisity, as I am taking this exam (the algerian baccalaureate), I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge university, and if so, what are the grades I am expected to get in order to have a competitive application?
thank you in advance for your attention to my request, I look forward in receiving your response
yours sincerly,

If you could correct the potential grammar mistakes that'd be great, thank you =)

Scroll to see replies

It is all one sentence. Split it up! I would do so but I'm using my phone, and it's a pain to do that.
Dear Sir/Madam,
This is a request for more information about your entrance requirements for the Law Department of the University of Cambridge. I am an Algerian student about to undertake my final exam of high school (Baccaulaureate exam). I am taking the Algerian Baccaulaureate and am hoping to take a foundation year, thus allowing me to study at a British university. I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge University, and if so, what grades am I expected to obtain in order to have a competitive application?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request, I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerely,

(edited 9 years ago)
I can see others are pitching in with corrections. On a separate note, you should probably include the degree you are considering. Are you asking about their undergraduate degree in law? This is called a 'BA in Law'.

Also, you should be aware that a law degree at an English university will require very good English, especially Cambridge. If you feel your grammar could be better, it might be worth putting some time in now to improve your writing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Without sounding harsh, if you can't string together an email to Cambridge using decent punctuation, law probably isn't the best degree to pursue.
Camb-Cambrudge :rofl2:

No but really, you need to fix the English in that letter, it's awfully written. You need proper sentences and to sort out your spelling.
Reply 6
Original post by EatAndRevise
Dear Sir/Madam,
This is to request more information about your entrance requirements for the Law Department of the University of Cambridge. I am an Algerian student about to undertake my final exam of high school (Baccaulaureate exam) I am planning to book for a foundation year in order to apply to a british univerisity, as I am taking this exam (the algerian baccalaureate). I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge university, and if so, what grades I am expected to obtain in order to have a competitive application?

Thank you in advance for your attention to my request, I look forward to receiving your response.

Yours sincerly,

------- The highlighted segment requires amendment but I am not too sure about how to change it.

My two cents: something like 'I am taking the Algerian Baccalaureate and am hoping to take a foundation year in order to study at a British university'?

Also on mobile which is an absolute pain and this suggestion really isn't the best, sorry
Original post by fizzers
My two cents: something like 'I am taking the Algerian Baccalaureate and am hoping to take a foundation year in order to study at a British university'?

Also on mobile which is an absolute pain and this suggestion really isn't the best, sorry

Ah, that's the stuff. I was bewildered by that sentence :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Ah, that's the stuff. I was bewildered by that sentence :s-smilie:

Yeah, I was quite muddled as well. Is OP saying that he wants to take a foundation year at a British uni bc he wants to study at a British uni? (...what....) He should probably spell Cambridge right as well- ref: title
Original post by fizzers
Yeah, I was quite muddled as well. Is OP saying that he wants to take a foundation year at a British uni bc he wants to study at a British uni? (...what....) He should probably spell Cambridge right as well- ref: title

I have absolutely no idea (lol). I did not notice that haha.
Original post by fizzers

I'm pretty sure the title was a typo considering it's spelt correctly in the post :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin
I can see others are pitching in with corrections. On a separate note, you should probably include the degree you are considering. Are you asking about their undergraduate degree in law? This is called a 'BA in Jurisprudence'.

Also, you should be aware that a law degree at an English university will require very good English, especially Cambridge. If you feel your grammar could be better, it might be worth putting some time in now to improve your writing.

Not at Cambridge - it's a "BA Law". I suspect you're thinking of Oxford. :wink:
Dear Sir/Madam,
This is a request for more information about your entrance requirements for the Law Department of the University of Cambridge. I am an Algerian student about to undertake my final exam of high school (Baccaulaureate exam). I am taking the Algerian Baccaulaureate and am hoping to take a foundation year, thus allowing me to study at a British university. I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge University, and if so, what grades am I expected to obtain in order to have a competitive application?

Yours sincerly,

typo in sincerely
Original post by Old_Simon
typo in sincerely

shhhhhh, I copied and pasted.....
I am tempted to say if a candidate can not compose a forum post in coherent English they may struggle studying Law at Cambrudge (sic).
Original post by mariakrelifa
Dear Sir or Madam,
this is to request more information about you entrance requirement for the law department of the university of Cambridge, I am an Algerian student and I am about to take my final exam of high school (baccaulaureate exam), I am planning to book for a foundation year in order to apply to a british univerisity, as I am taking this exam (the algerian baccalaureate), I would like to know if I can apply to study in the Cambridge university, and if so, what are the grades I am expected to get in order to have a competitive application?
thank you in advance for your attention to my request, I look forward in receiving your response
yours sincerly,

If you could correct the potential grammar mistakes that'd be great, thank you =)

Here's my best shot, OP :smile::

Subject: Undergraduate application to Law at Cambridge

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently an Algerian student in the process of taking my final Baccalaureate exams in my last year of high school. I am considering making an application to the University of Cambridge's faculty of Law for a BA degree and I would be very grateful if you could inform me what grades I will need to attain in these examinations in order to make my application competitive.
Thank you in advance for the time taken to answer this query.

Yours Sincerely,

{name}
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm pretty sure the title was a typo considering it's spelt correctly in the post :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I know, I wasn't being all that serious. :smile: He might still want to look out for it though, I can't imagine anything worse than spelling the name of the uni I want to go to wrong
Original post by Picnic1
You can't even spell 'Cambridge' correctly in your topic post. You said 'you entrance requirement' instead of 'your entrance requirements'. You accidentally dissed them by not capitalising. (you should have said University of Cambridge, not 'university of Cambridge' - you could be talking about any university in Cambridge e.g. Anglia Ruskin with the latter).

'baccaulaureate' is a slight misspelling - it should be 'Baccalaureate'.

You put 'british univerisity' instead of 'British university'.

'algerian' should have been capitalised as 'Algerian'.

It's not 'the Cambridge university', it's 'Cambridge University' (or more usually for the last 20 years or so, the University of Cambridge').

'thank you' should be capitalised as 'Thank you' instead.

'sincerly' should be 'sincerely'.

Your spelling is a shambles. If you get in Cambridge partly thanks to our help then it proves that there is no God.

Was this malice needed? No. It's people like you who make this world quite a mean place :angry:

Edit: This post was rude. I'd rather have replied "Was this malice needed? No."
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jess_x
Was this malice needed? No. It's people like you who make this world quite a mean place :angry:

Effective and accurate critique is now "mean". ?????
Original post by Jess_x

You'll never know nor care how nice a person I can be because you'd never get close enough to my trust to find out.

Is it REALLY mean of me to point out the errors in a Cambridge hopeful's post? No. There are 7 billion people in this world and only a small percentage end up studying at the University of Cambridge. In an ideal world, law applicants in particular should display stunning examples of verbal dexterity. I realise that it's not an ideal world and that plodding dullhards who don't have a great grasp of English end up at the University of Cambridge as well. But it's not my business to encourage them and I would hope it wouldn't be the University of Cambridge's.

If you think that it is somehow more fair to encourage people who admit that they don't even have a good grasp of grammar to study law at Cambridge then I suggest that you are more likely to be one of the following:

1) an ex , current or prospective student who got in a similarly highly regarded course at university and who also doesn't have full confidence in their grammar, thus has an excessive sense of 'looking after their own kind' merely on the basis of who shares a similar interest rather than their skill level at that interest.

2) someone who has nothing in common with being at a top university or on a relatively 'hard to get accepted' subject.

Why do you propose that I should be particularly soft on international students who take up places that could rightly go to top scoring British or American students who might have a far greater grasp of the intrinsic tool that a law course in the UK relies upon- command of the English language?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending