The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Postgraduate seeking accommodation

I will be starting a PhD in Reading in September and have no idea what I'll do for housing yet. Does anyone have any advice for accommodation? Although I'll be working hard I'd still like to have a sociable home life and want to find a good balance between quiet and friendly.

Any tips are welcomed :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by stephbull
I will be starting a PhD in Reading in September and have no idea what I'll do for housing yet. Does anyone have any advice for accommodation? Although I'll be working hard I'd still like to have a sociable home life and want to find a good balance between quiet and friendly.

Any tips are welcomed :smile:

Thanks

Hey, I'm in the exact same boat (doing a PhD in the Meteorology dept in September). The advice I was given by a current student there was to email your supervisor/someone in your department about it since some of them have lists of people who want accommodation, apparently that's how some people did it last year. Failing that, they said halls were always a good option since there is dedicated postgraduate areas for it apparently. Also apparently in July/August a lot of house places free up in various places (Gumtree for example) cause people leave.

Hope this helps!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Ilky
Hey, I'm in the exact same boat (doing a PhD in the Meteorology dept in September). The advice I was given by a current student there was to email your supervisor/someone in your department about it since some of them have lists of people who want accommodation, apparently that's how some people did it last year. Failing that, they said halls were always a good option since there is dedicated postgraduate areas for it apparently. Also apparently in July/August a lot of house places free up in various places (Gumtree for example) cause people leave.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I will start a PhD in the Dept. of Meteorology too this September. In the meantime I am choosing between St Georges Hall and Sherfield Hall. Do u have any idea which one is better for postgraduate students?
Reply 3
Original post by eunicelo
Hi, I will start a PhD in the Dept. of Meteorology too this September. In the meantime I am choosing between St Georges Hall and Sherfield Hall. Do u have any idea which one is better for postgraduate students?

No idea, sorry. I was told that they try and group postgrads together regardless, but that's it. Which project did you get?
Reply 4
Original post by Ilky
No idea, sorry. I was told that they try and group postgrads together regardless, but that's it. Which project did you get?

Arh, no worries, thanks anyway! My project is about 'geo-engineering' with stratospheric aerosols. And u? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by eunicelo
Arh, no worries, thanks anyway! My project is about 'geo-engineering' with stratospheric aerosols. And u? :smile:

Spectral analysis of the water vapour continuum absorption, gotta admit yours sounds really cool!
Original post by Ilky
Spectral analysis of the water vapour continuum absorption, gotta admit yours sounds really cool!

Hi there
Just wanted to let you know about a new option for students at Reading, which may be particularly suitable for postgrads looking for a space of their own! Central Studios is opening this September right in the centre of Reading (next to Sainsbury on Friar Street). Every studio is en suite with small double bed, kitchen area, loads of work space and storage space. There's also a roof terrace and social space to meet up with friends and your new neighbours!

All bills are included in the weekly rent, with free WiFi and contents insurance too. If you give our Accommodation Manager Daiga a call on 07795 197272 she can give you much more info and book you in for a viewing! Or take a look at our website for more details - www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/reading

Many thanks
Helen @ Fresh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending