The Student Room Group

The Non League Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey Che Griffin, I'll be visiting Broadhall Way with the mighty brewers on the 10th Feb, so can you recommend any pubs close to the ground. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but part of the day is a nice pint before the game. :biggrin:

Thanks
stale88
Hey Che Griffin, I'll be visiting Broadhall Way with the mighty brewers on the 10th Feb, so can you recommend any pubs close to the ground. Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but part of the day is a nice pint before the game. :biggrin:

Thanks

:p: it's really in the wrong location for pubs (it's more near the shops/industrial)...erm let me think...

i know one thats a short walk away... but it's not the best...

the only other thing i can think is just down from the ground towards the 'Roebuck' area, there's shops mainly but there's some pubs just down the road... (my bro did his work experince there in a restaurant come pub there).

there's loads of under-passes around so it's not to hard to get around....
Car Expert
Guess what... Oxford lose again...:rolleyes:

Woohoo :party:

We will still manage to throw it away though. Just wait and see.
Reply 183
CheGriffin
:p: it's really in the wrong location for pubs (it's more near the shops/industrial)...erm let me think...

i know one thats a short walk away... but it's not the best...

the only other thing i can think is just down from the ground towards the 'Roebuck' area, there's shops mainly but there's some pubs just down the road... (my bro did his work experince there in a restaurant come pub there).

there's loads of under-passes around so it's not to hard to get around....

Thanks a lot for your help. Now please let us have the 3 points. :biggrin:
stale88

yeah good luck....;catfight;
Sold Donaldson to Hibernian for absolutely nothing!!

FIFA better change their rules 'cos theres no way we can let him leave for free!

Fortunately, he stays till the end of the season.

:s-smilie:
Just realised Grays are doing worst than Oxford at the moment... they've only won 3 of their last 23 league games! :eek:
stale88

unlucky... i'm not going to gloat but i wish i could have gone and was soooo close to going to the game, but couldn't manage it,

how was the game anyway, Boro usually like to play down the wings and use their pace.

I know you lost but i hope it was a decent game
Reply 188
CheGriffin
unlucky... i'm not going to gloat but i wish i could have gone and was soooo close to going to the game, but couldn't manage it,

how was the game anyway, Boro usually like to play down the wings and use their pace.

I know you lost but i hope it was a decent game

The game was ok apart from the fact that the referee wanted to be the star of the show as usual, but on the whole you probably deserved the win, especially as Mr Clough has fallen out (spat his dummy out) with two of our best players and refuses to play them but oh well.

The first half was very tight with no clear chances for either side.

Your first goal came from a cross which was only punched to the edge of the area, and Nutter volleyed it straight into the bottom corner. The second goal came after a wave of pressure from Burton, but a blocked shot dropped to Mitchell Cole who ran 70 yards up the pitch and crossed it in for Miller who had a free header into the net as he was clearly about 5 yards + offside! (Even one of your fans was laughing about this on the way out!)

Finally we attempted our usual comeback but it was a case of too little too late, although Holmes' volley was a great finish.

The chase for the playoffs is getting very tight, but I reckon Stevenage will be in there come the end of the season. We won't due to the fact that we have many problems such as having 14 players as Clough refuses to play 2 players and signs injured crocks. There are many other worries, but rant over.

Good luck for the rest of the season - I like going to Stevenage, apart from the high prices us northerners have to pay. For £11 my little brother could have watched Villa! :biggrin:
yeah prices are stupid that's for sure...

glad to see you like going to Stevenage (the away supporters do have the best stand:s-smilie: ) and i hope Burton can sort out their differences...
Oxford's losing streak started against Gravesend, now it ends against Gravesend.

I still think they've left it too late for automatic promotion, but if they can get a good run going, I reckon they may win the play-offs.
Reply 191
Top of the form League over the last 6 matches! :biggrin: What a complete turn-around. 5 wins (including the top two, away from home) and a draw last night brings us from the relegation zone to the top half of the table! I dunno how that boy does it, but Westley sure works some wonders! :eek: :cool:
Archduke
Top of the form League over the last 6 matches! :biggrin: What a complete turn-around. 5 wins (including the top two, away from home) and a draw last night brings us from the relegation zone to the top half of the table! I dunno how that boy does it, but Westley sure works some wonders! :eek: :cool:

he did absolute miracles for Boro' we seemed dead and buried before he came in... our team was really unfit and he made some big changes which seemed to do the trick... just had a problem taking us that step further... then again he found George Boyd, so in book he's a legend...

as for boro, putting the pressure on, need morcambe to slip up again whlst snapping at the heels of exeter/gravesend.... it's gonna be a great end to the season, can't wait (esp. as i'll be home around then, and might even make the trophy final, should we get there:biggrin: )

anyway, couple of questions Archduke,

1. I heard he took on maamria as assistant coach/player, is this true?...
2. Has he installed his aggresssion into the team, it seemed to work for us, but we soon shot up to the top of the yellow&red cards league:redface:
Reply 193
CheGriffin

anyway, couple of questions Archduke,

1. I heard he took on maamria as assistant coach/player, is this true?...
2. Has he installed his aggresssion into the team, it seemed to work for us, but we soon shot up to the top of the yellow&red cards league:redface:

1. Yeah, Maamria has joined us. He's definitely a player (scored for us at the weekend) and I would presume he's got some kind of coaching capacity as well. Most of the team are youngsters, so hopefully he will pass on a bit of experience on. The team as a whole seems to have got more disciplined, for instance, we seem to have shaken that nasty habit of conceeding at the last minute (touch wood!).

2. He's definitely instilled some aggression. Before, we were playing nice pretty football and we were just allowing other teams to push us out of the way. With a help from a few new signings (Albrighton is an absolute 'take no prisoners' type of beast!) the team seems to be a lot more aggressive, and more important, competitive. But yeah, as you say, it's been reflected in the cards league; but with a £10k suspended fine hanging over our head, it's something we can ill-afford.
Reply 194
CheGriffin

as for boro...snapping at the heels of exeter/

Glad we did you a favour on Tuesday night! :biggrin:
Reply 195
On the topic of Graham Westley - he has been sacked after a run of 5 wins and 2 draws in the last 7 games. Their website just says that the club have decided that performances and squad selection do not fit with its long term plan. What can this long-term plan be then?:confused:

I know many non-league fans including myself hate Westley and love to see him fail, but I feel sorry for the Rushden fans who had seen their team rise from relegation fodder to midtable security.
stale88
On the topic of Graham Westley - he has been sacked after a run of 5 wins and 2 draws in the last 7 games. Their website just says that the club have decided that performances and squad selection do not fit with its long term plan. What can this long-term plan be then?:confused:

WOW, there must be something going on behind the scenes.

When he was at Boro' he had loads of fallings out, which included the chairman and our (at the time) best striker (Elding - who was loved by the fans)

So although it is a bit of a suprise, i think his character probably conflicted with their board and they just had enough
damn, Boro got Grays.... would've prefered to get them in the final but ah well...i don't know how Grays will approach this tbh

on the one hand they could want something from a poor season and be all fired up - plus its Stimpson (ex boss)

and on the other they might want to focus more on survival?...

will have to wait and see
Reply 198
CheGriffin
i think his character probably conflicted with their board and they just had enough

Lets just say it seems a lot more than that. The fact that Westley, normally a volatile character at the best of time, hasn't kicked off seems to suggest it's a lot more sinister.
Archduke
Lets just say it seems a lot more than that. The fact that Westley, normally a volatile character at the best of time, hasn't kicked off seems to suggest it's a lot more sinister.

ooooo interesting....although doesn't suprise me tbh

Quick Reply

Latest