The Student Room Group

The Non League Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Not a bad draw for us either - home to Tamworth which is our local derby. I would have liked forest away, but after going to old trafford last year I would like to go to Anfield in the 3rd round. Pigs fly eh?:biggrin:
Another loss for Bedford against Thurrock, need to start winning soon.
Wooohoo Bedford Town won 2-0 against Sutton.
Oxford won once again watch by over 8,000 people only just short of Lincoln's record back in the late 80's.
So, which Non-League teams do you think will be successful in the FA Cup 1st round?

My predictions are:

Clevedon Town - only Bristol-based side at home, may get a boost from more fans.

Lewes - getting a boost from having one of their players winning the Player Of The Round Award and having a sell-out crowd at the Dripping Pan could inspire them to get a result. Getting a replay at Darlington's ground would be good for them; a win, even better.

Bromley - we all remember Gillingham getting knocked out by Burscough this time last year... can Bromley do the same?

Newport County - playing Swansea in an all-Welsh clash... could be a really good game.

Exeter City - could get a result at home to Stockport.

And don't forget the match between Burton and Tamworth... the two 3rd-round giant killers from last season.
I definiatly think Clevedon Town will cause a suprise or two as well as Lewes, because Darlington will not enjoy going down to their ground.

Bromley will want to prove Gillingham aren't the only fairly big team in Kent and Newport are bound to go out guns blazing against their bitter and larger rivals Swansea.

Ask for Exeter they have been good in the past in the Fa Cup famously holding Man United at Old Trafford.

I think Gainsborough might upset Barnet and Oxford to do over Wycombe
Reply 85
My predictions are:

- Burton to beat Tamworth (Not being biased!)
- King's Lynn to beat Bishops Stortford
- Aldershot to beat Chelmsford
- Exeter to beat Stockport
- Morecambe to beat Kiddy
- Salisbury to beat Fleetwood
- Stafford to beat Maidenhead

There should be quite a few non-league teams in the second round. I'm still dreaming of going to Anfield this season - didn't like Old Trafford.:biggrin:
stale88
My predictions are:

- Burton to beat Tamworth (Not being biased!)
- King's Lynn to beat Bishops Stortford
- Aldershot to beat Chelmsford
- Exeter to beat Stockport
- Morecambe to beat Kiddy
- Salisbury to beat Fleetwood
- Stafford to beat Maidenhead

There should be quite a few non-league teams in the second round. I'm still dreaming of going to Anfield this season - didn't like Old Trafford.:biggrin:

Well even if you ended up back at Old Trafford think of all that money your club will get :biggrin:
Reply 87
Carl1982
Well even if you ended up back at Old Trafford think of all that money your club will get :biggrin:

Yes another £800k would do us fine. :smile:
I think Burton have a half decent chance of making the play offs this time out, i'll give maybe two or three seasons and we'll see Burton in League Two.
York to beat Bristol City!! WE CAN DO IT!

C'MON YOU MINSTERMEN!!
Unfortunately, the Mistermen lost...

And so did Lewes, Clevedon Town, Barrow, Leatherhead, Newport County, Gainsborough (and may I say Oxford as well?), who did very well to get this far in the competition.

But great wins for bottom-of-the-Conference South side Basingstoke, who beat Carling Cup giant killers Chesterfield 1-0 away from home, and for Rushden & Diamonds, who beat League 1 side Yeovil 3-1.

Lewes lost, but neighbours Brighton thrashed Northwich 8-0 :eek:

Maidenhead managed to hold Stafford Rangers to a 1-1 draw, despite playing some of the match with 9 men.

And let's not forget King's Lynn and Salisbury, who both safely made it through to the 2nd round :biggrin:
Reply 91
Probably sour grapes but christmas came early for Tamworth. We should have won that. At one point I think we had about 8 corners in succession. Their equaliser was down to Kevin Poole dropping the corner into his own net, and then they scored the winner, after a weak clearance their player scored a 'once in a lifetime' volley. Once again another dodgy referee and a clueless linesman. Never mind, we can concentrate on the league now:rolleyes:
I felt sorry for Tamworth i wanted them to win that. Amazing win for Basingstoke who are bottom of the Conference South League and won away to Chesterfield, who themselves are giant killers.

Brighton just went goal crazy, think Northwich will be a bit shell shocked after that one.

Least there's plenty of Non-League teams left with the possibility of making the 3rd round afterwards, think today it's Weymouth and Bury on BBC 1 today.

In the League my local team Bedford Town lost 3-2 against Bognor Regis after twice being in front, but what cost them was going down to ten men.
Reply 93
Carl1982

Brighton just went goal crazy, think Northwich will be a bit shell shocked after that one.

:party:

Next round either Stafford or Maidenhead at home. :cool: See if we can get more :rolleyes:
Oziris
:party:

Next round either Stafford or Maidenhead at home. :cool: See if we can get more :rolleyes:

Or it will end up like it was when you played Subury United :biggrin:
Reply 95
Carl1982
I felt sorry for Tamworth i wanted them to win that.

Sorry, did you mean Burton as Tamworth won. :confused: I think Basingstoke deserve a 'club of the round' award.
Oh Tamworth won did they, thought they lost, oh well i'm naturally pleased for them howeverto be honest it is a shame for Burton to go out so soon after last year as well.
Reply 97
Just thought I'd enlighten you to, I think, a new non-league record. . . . .

Dartford moved into their new stadium on the weekend who reside in Ryman league division 1 South. They attracted 4100 spectators. I'm not even sure if AFC WImbledon or Yeovil got crowds like that in their hey-day.

I know Yeovil got 8200 (approx) against Enfield in 1998 (approx again) in the then, Isthmian (Ryman now) Prmeier league, whereas Dartford got this in the division below.

I'll suspect we'll see Dartford challenging for league status in the not too distant future with crowds like that, but AFC are struggling slightly in the Premier of the Ryman.
Bloody hell thats a massive crowd for a team in that league, it's nice to see they got their own home back.
Reply 99
Is that the Dartford who have a grass roof? I hope the groundsmen don't have vertigo! :biggrin:

Edit: Yeah, it is. Clicky

Quick Reply

Latest