The Student Room Group

The Non League Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Expression
I bet you like it even less after the bore draw at Rockingham Road.

Pull up a chair, it's a long haul to get out of this league; not many clubs bounce straight back.

Sounded like you lot struggled today. Only one nil against the Chester sounds a bit poor. Especially if their chairman's son is as bad as everyone says he is...

On another note. I wonder when Chester's goal difference will equal their points.
Arrogant Git
Sounded like you lot struggled today. Only one nil against the Chester sounds a bit poor. Especially if their chairman's son is as bad as everyone says he is...

On another note. I wonder when Chester's goal difference will equal their points.

1-0 against Chester is better than Luton's 0-0 against Chester, and that will do me nicely!

All the same, yeah it doesn't look impressive, but after last years lame away record, I'd take 1-0s any day.

We're scoring plenty at home and not conceding many, so Field Mill is fairly safe; quite happily keep taking 3 points on the road.

Yes I would have liked another goal after scoring after 2 minutes, but it sounds like we had the chances, a disallowed goal and a good pen shout.
Expression
1-0 against Chester is better than Luton's 0-0 against Chester, and that will do me nicely!

All the same, yeah it doesn't look impressive, but after last years lame away record, I'd take 1-0s any day.

We're scoring plenty at home and not conceding many, so Field Mill is fairly safe; quite happily keep taking 3 points on the road.

Yes I would have liked another goal after scoring after 2 minutes, but it sounds like we had the chances, a disallowed goal and a good pen shout.

We didn't even deserve that point either to be quite honest. Tyler, our goalkeeper, kept us in that game and he did the same thing yesterday apparently. It's so frustrating because we do have a good team, infact i think that's an understatement, but since we hammered you lot in the second half 4 games ago we seem to have forgotten how to even string two passes together let alone play any decent football.

No disrespect to this league, and i know it's not easy to get out of, but with the players we have at our disposal we should be performing. I don't mean we should be winning every week, i just mean we shouldn't be playing so badly that the players are being boo'd off of the pitch after every game!
DougLTFC
We didn't even deserve that point either to be quite honest. Tyler, our goalkeeper, kept us in that game and he did the same thing yesterday apparently. It's so frustrating because we do have a good team, infact i think that's an understatement, but since we hammered you lot in the second half 4 games ago we seem to have forgotten how to even string two passes together let alone play any decent football.

No disrespect to this league, and i know it's not easy to get out of, but with the players we have at our disposal we should be performing. I don't mean we should be winning every week, i just mean we shouldn't be playing so badly that the players are being boo'd off of the pitch after every game!

All you can do is just try to get through the first few games of the season as painlessly as possible before the part-time teams start to falter. If you look at the conference, in recent years, the side that's been top at the end of September hasn't gone on to win the championship. The sides that have dominated have had relatively quiet starts to the season and started to dominate in September and October. If you aren't beginning to assert yourselves within the next few month or so then you can start to worry.
Half Time Scores

Only 7 goals so far.

Altrincham 1-0 Chester City, HT
Eastbourne Borough 0-0 Ebbsfleet United, HT
Grays Athletic 1-2 AFC Wimbledon HT
Hayes & Yeading United 1-1 Salisbury City HT
Histon Town 0-1 Stevenage Borough HT
Mansfield Town 0-0 Kettering Town, HT
Oxford Utd 0-0 Forest Green Rovers, HT
Rushden & D'monds 0-0 Cambridge Utd, HT
Tamworth 0-0 Kidderminster Harriers, HT
Wrexham 0-0 Barrow AFC, HT
Expression
Half Time Scores

Only 7 goals so far.

Altrincham 1-0 Chester City, HT
Eastbourne Borough 0-0 Ebbsfleet United, HT
Grays Athletic 1-2 AFC Wimbledon HT
Hayes & Yeading United 1-1 Salisbury City HT
Histon Town 0-1 Stevenage Borough HT
Mansfield Town 0-0 Kettering Town, HT
Oxford Utd 0-0 Forest Green Rovers, HT
Rushden & D'monds 0-0 Cambridge Utd, HT
Tamworth 0-0 Kidderminster Harriers, HT
Wrexham 0-0 Barrow AFC, HT

Two at Ossett too, one for each team. Ben Deegan's just equalised for FC :smile:
Full Time Scores

Altrincham 1-1 Chester City, FT
Eastbourne Borough 1-2 Ebbsfleet United, FT
Grays Athletic 2-4 AFC Wimbledon FT
Hayes & Yeading United 3-4 Salisbury City FT
Histon Town 0-2 Stevenage Borough FT
Mansfield Town 0-0 Kettering Town, FT
Oxford Utd 0-0 Forest Green Rovers, FT
Rushden & D'monds 1-1 Cambridge Utd, FT
Tamworth 2-1 Kidderminster Harriers, FT
Wrexham 0-0 Barrow AFC, FT
Good to see AFC Wombles winning again after their defeat on Saturday :smile:

FC win 2-1 with a late goal from their captain David Chadwick, another good three points.
FCUtdWill
Good to see AFC Wombles winning again after their defeat on Saturday :smile:

FC win 2-1 with a late goal from their captain David Chadwick, another good three points.

Ex Alty lad Ben Deegan scored the first as well i think.

And to the Luton fan, you're unbeaten so far this season and getting booed off the pitch? I cant understand that. And to be honest, is a draw at Kettering really that bad a result?
bighairedmike
Ex Alty lad Ben Deegan scored the first as well i think.

Yep he did, see my previous post before I said FC won. :smile:
Draw for us at Rushden which isn't a bad result, with all respect to our next two opposition, it's got to be 6 points from 6.
FCUtdWill
Yep he did, see my previous post before I said FC won. :smile:

So you did. Didnt see that. :smile:

Dozzer_Cufc
Draw for us at Rushden which isn't a bad result, with all respect to our next two opposition, it's got to be 6 points from 6.

I dunno who your next game is but didnt your fans say that about us last year too... :biggrin:
bighairedmike
So you did. Didnt see that. :smile:

Doing well at the minute, scored two this season.

Can get 15-20 I reckon.
bighairedmike

I dunno who your next game is but didnt your fans say that about us last year too... :biggrin:

You are our next game aren't you? It's either you or Forest Green Rovers.

We knew it'd be hard, but to be fair we did dominate the game, the only thing was Altrincham came to spoil the party with 11 men behind the ball, in a regular league match it wouldn't make as much sense to do that. Coburn had a blinder though, but we weren't half crap finishers!

Anyway, two lower half sides at home you should definitely be trying to beat, especially when you've got quite a few tough games during the rest of the month.
bighairedmike
And to the Luton fan, you're unbeaten so far this season and getting booed off the pitch? I cant understand that. And to be honest, is a draw at Kettering really that bad a result?

They're booing because our performances have been absolutely woeful and our goalkeeper has rescued us in the last two or three games from losing. I don't condone it obviously but it is very frustrating seeing your team, who you know are capable of playing, look utterly clueless and unable to string a couple of passes together. Also, our tallest striker is about 5ft 10" and, at the moment, all we are doing is hoofing it which obviously won't work against defenders of 6ft 2" plus. I haven't booed and i won't because it doesn't help, but when some fans boo, others join in.

One of our own supporters actually head butted another of our supporters on the way out of Kettering on Saturday because he was booing and was told to be quiet and support his team. Our fans are always at eachothers throats, so i'm never surprised when they turn on the players or manager. :mad:
DougLTFC
They're booing because our performances have been absolutely woeful and our goalkeeper has rescued us in the last two or three games from losing. I don't condone it obviously but it is very frustrating seeing your team, who you know are capable of playing, look utterly clueless and unable to string a couple of passes together. Also, our tallest striker is about 5ft 10" and, at the moment, all we are doing is hoofing it which obviously won't work against defenders of 6ft 2" plus. I haven't booed and i won't because it doesn't help, but when some fans boo, others join in.

One of our own supporters actually head butted another of our supporters on the way out of Kettering on Saturday because he was booing and was told to be quiet and support his team. Our fans are always at eachothers throats, so i'm never surprised when they turn on the players or manager. :mad:

I don't understand the booing either. It is still ridiculous to boo them. People don't seem to realise how tough this league is whether or not we've got a good squad. The standard has significantly dropped and therefore our standard will be dragged down. Once we get a big target man we should improve.

Also, do you know if we get any money from Carlos Edwards' transfer to Ipswich?
pasta_man_beast
I don't understand the booing either. It is still ridiculous to boo them. People don't seem to realise how tough this league is whether or not we've got a good squad. The standard has significantly dropped and therefore our standard will be dragged down. Once we get a big target man we should improve.

Also, do you know if we get any money from Carlos Edwards' transfer to Ipswich?

I assume we'll get some money but i don't actually know for certain. Most of the players we sold around the same time had sell on clauses so i think it's likely.

As for a big man, we definitely need one, i just don't want to see us lumping it forward all game. With Newton and Burgess on the wings we should have enough quality to get into the channels and whip some good crosses in, but at the moment we can't even pass very well, let alone do that. Let's just hope they improve tonight, are you going?
But Hatch and Craddock are the messiahs though aren't they? Lol...
Come on AFC - from despair to a smile longer than the M25!
Dozzer_Cufc
But Hatch and Craddock are the messiahs though aren't they? Lol...

Hatch would be if he was fit! As for Craddock, he is God. :p:

Anyway, tonight we actually played football and no booing was heard, and no one had a bad game. Ok, Crawley were woeful but so were Gateshead and Chester and we only narrowly beat Gateshead and drew 0-0 with Chester! I'm glad the players showed that they haven't lost it and to see them celebrate the first goal with Harford was excellent after muppets were calling for his head all week.

Oh, and it turns out the supporter who was head butted at Kettering was a friend of my dad's who was at the game with his elderly parents. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest