The Student Room Group

The Non League Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season so much, despite the fact I'll only be able to take in a few games. It'll just be brilliant not having an owner signing his sons, not paying wages, threatening fans and alienating the rest of the footballing world. Worrying about purely football, not when the next winding up order will come or what the owner's going to do next will make for a season of pure bliss in my view. I put £30 on us to win the league @ 7/2 as well so that'd be helpful. :p:
Caer am Byth
I don't think I've ever looked forward to a season so much, despite the fact I'll only be able to take in a few games. It'll just be brilliant not having an owner signing his sons, not paying wages, threatening fans and alienating the rest of the footballing world. Worrying about purely football, not when the next winding up order will come or what the owner's going to do next will make for a season of pure bliss in my view. I put £30 on us to win the league @ 7/2 as well so that'd be helpful. :p:

It does seem a lot brighter for you, surely you'll miss your derbies with us (wrexham) though? :p: For me, a Welsh derby against Newport won't quite give me the same feeling as it would if we were to play you.

Ah, Wrexham continuing where they left off last season...completely feck up against smaller clubs!
Evo-Stik Premier starts today, I'm quite optimistic of a decent season for us (Hucknall Town) after a few years of miserably slipping downwards since our 2005 FA Trophy Final, league-winning season. New manager, his own squad, a good pre-season, attacking football.. we've got Ossett Town today, relegation favourites, so hopefully a chance to start with a win!
I am very very impressed with the Wombles at the moment. Our team is on form and is playing outstanding football.
ra-ra-ra
It does seem a lot brighter for you, surely you'll miss your derbies with us (wrexham) though? :p: For me, a Welsh derby against Newport won't quite give me the same feeling as it would if we were to play you.

Ah, Wrexham continuing where they left off last season...completely feck up against smaller clubs!

I will to be honest, especially considering Witton Albion is probably our 'derby' this season :p:

Saunders can't have long left with you surely?
Caer am Byth
I will to be honest, especially considering Witton Albion is probably our 'derby' this season :p:

Saunders can't have long left with you surely?

Ha, oh dear!

Judging by the report on the BBC website today, he's going nowhere yet, to me though he doesn't have long left. Many fans have been saying for the past 8-9 months for him to go, myself..i don't say that because i don't quite know who i would want to manage us and whoever does they've got a pretty tough job to do, so i'm not quite sure who would want to manage us! :p: I don't think Wrexham fans should boo at Dean, yeah he's not doing great but surely the booing won't help him at all. I just don't know what's wrong with us and why we don't work as a team!

A draw for you, not too bad!
Wow - I didn't see us top of the leauge at all when we started our league campaign.
Rushden playing well at the minute.. 1 point from the first 3 games and bottom of the league.. 3 wins on the trot now has put us in a very good position :smile:
Diamond Matt
Rushden playing well at the minute.. 1 point from the first 3 games and bottom of the league.. 3 wins on the trot now has put us in a very good position :smile:

Diamonds are crap! You wanna look at Stevenage and get some inspiration :wink: Yeah... guess who 'babe' LOL :smile:
Red_student
Diamonds are crap! You wanna look at Stevenage and get some inspiration :wink: Yeah... guess who 'babe' LOL :smile:

hmm I wonder. haha

When do you bugger off? You've still got my programme haven't you? I think..?
Diamond Matt
hmm I wonder. haha

When do you bugger off? You've still got my programme haven't you? I think..?

Cheers! So nice of you!! I 'bugger off' on 25th Sept. The day we play Lincoln away :frown: I should just go to football and then move in on the Sunday shouldn't I. When do u go up north? (CRAZY MAN!!)

I think I still have the Stevenage V Norwich one. It was in the back of my dads car. I'll have a look and drop it round when I get back off my hols on 17th Sept.
I 'bugger off' for good on the 15th.. So I'll read it when I'm back on Oct 16th weekend. haha
haha this happened during the Fleetwood and Cambridge United match.

17:46 A moment of comedy here at Highbury as a streaker enters the field, if I can call him that as he's wearing a body suit! He ended his show with a cartwheel towards the home end before being tackled by the stewards. Funny stuff!!
This took some digging out..but in reply to what you said in the other thread DJTom..our season..i should be happy that we're currently sitting in the play-offs and not like where you are really..but although we are there we have one of the worst styles of playing football. You watch teams around us and you actually feel they deserve to be there with how they can actually put more than 5 passes together and run into the space etc, with us we just hoof the ball up and hope for the best but i guess football doesn't have to be pretty just as long as you get the results! I just really hope we stay between 2-5, it doesn't really bother me to have the 2nd leg at home just as long as we're in there would be a bonus. We've had so many seasons of utter rubbish so it's about time something good happened! We still have so much rubbish going on off the pitch with buyers and stuff though, things just never seem to be looking up for us so knowing our luck we'll fall out of the play-off places on the last game of the season or something silly like that!

To be honest, i feel bad for moaning, especially as you're sitting at the bottom of the league and it does look pretty grim down there, you just need to stop conceding so many goals and hope results go your way! We don't seem to be helping right now with this Tamworth game..this is exactly the type of game we mess up though!
Went to watch Lincoln City last night with my mate, was good fun even though we got told off by the stewards for looking at the 52 Southport fans who had made the trip lol.
Wow, old thread, didn't even notice it if I'm honest.

Glad to see Truro City more than holding their own in the BSS - I'm sure they were looking to keep their heads above water this season, and they've invested in some proven ability at that level in Les Afful and Barry Hayles.

Secretly hoping Dorchester Town can sneak into the playoffs as they've got a more-than-decent squad - I just don't want them to 'do a Weymouth' if they do make it into the BSP.
Original post by Rock Fan
Went to watch Lincoln City last night with my mate, was good fun even though we got told off by the stewards for looking at the 52 Southport fans who had made the trip lol.

52 is a decent away following in this league. :tongue:
Original post by ra-ra-ra
52 is a decent away following in this league. :tongue:

Yeah not bad for a midweek night and all the way down from Southport which is a heck of a trek to Lincoln, real supporters for sure. I mean Gateshead only took about 20 to Kettering, although again to be fair that is miles to go on a working week night.
There's a ****ing conspiracy to get Blyth Spartans relegated from the Conference North. Absolutely ****ing joke. Been robbed of so many points by refs this season.

Tuesday night, Beating Altrincham 1-0 then the referee orders 4 minutes of injury time (Quite how there was 4 minutes was anyones guess) then in the 96th minute one of there players fell over in the box and the ref gave a penalty... They scored. Finished 1-1., Blyth still 11 points adrift.

Absolute joke. Despite Blyth being a Northern team. We are not wanted in the Conference 'North' as we are miles to far away. Take note there is teams south of London who somehow get put into this league.
Having been to the Lincoln game I have to say the one thing is the refereeing is appalling, but clearly this is something else with Blyth, sounds a bit suspicious.

Quick Reply

Latest