The Student Room Group

The Non League Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
Ah man horrible for Stourbridge :s-smilie:

I am guessing Whitehawk of Brighton then will go into the Conference South as they won the Ryman Premier League

Yup, lost 2-1! Oh well, onwards & upwards!

They will go Conf South yeah :smile:
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin

They will go Conf South yeah :smile:

Unlucky tonight :frown:
Original post by bun
Oh that's good then - they must be expecting a fair few! And wow!! That's an exceptionally good deal, considering its bank holiday weekend as you say. I can't remember prices for us as we drove.

Haha!! Reed is actually a quality finisher - he just has no other strengths. We've released him (along with nearly everyone else!) today. I'd put a bet on him ending up at Chester.

Yep - unfortunate but true. Hahaha oh dear! I kept getting in as an U16 until I started uni and got in as a student.

Mm - that would be a shame, hopefully all the talking will be on the pitch! After the earlier Luton encounters (ie our players having to hide amongst our fans as they were pelted by coins etc) and several other clashes, I'm surprised the final went without a hitch. They all just admitted the better team had won. Hopefully it will be similar with you!!

Well, you’d think so! The update on Tuesday was Newport had sold 4000 tickets and we were on 6000. Attendance is going to be so low. Had this game been given an extra week to sell tickets and had it not been over a bank holiday weekend I would have expected more. I don’t think many Wrexham fans thought we would make it this far either. We have fallen out twice at the semi-final stage and with it being bank holiday I know quite a few had already made plans to have a weekend away.

Yeah, he wanted to be back closer to home so probably Chester will be the team for him... Although, I wouldn’t complain if he came back to Wrexham! He was never given a chance here though. Time for your squad to rebuild again then!

Haha, I actually think that is worse than my case if you got in as an U16! Wrexham don’t do student discount (which I find bizarre seeing as our stadium is owned by Glyndwr University!) but some away grounds do. The good thing for me is even though in 2 weeks time my student days will be over, my student card doesn’t have an expiry date on it I’ll be saying I’m a student until I can get in for O.A.P prices!

That’s good then. .Hopefully that’ll be the case for us but I think there may be a scuffle here and there!

Original post by Olie

Lots going on tonight (and no I don't mean the champions league!), looks like King's Lynn will get a second successive promotion, various playoff finals decided, some great attendances (Both King's Lynn and Maidstone got 2,000 at the 8th tier of English football!) and my team AFC Rushden & Diamonds need just a point on Saturday to get promotion in our first season, going back from uni specially for it:biggrin:

You R&D fans deserve a pat on the back with the attendances this season. Some excellent gates you’ve had. You deserve to get back up so hopefully you keep climbing up those leagues! Good luck for Saturday.

Ah, sorry to hear that. That’s so unfortunate, it makes it worse it was such a narrow loss too.
Reply 1783
^ Thanks and yeah hoping to have over 1000 at our big final away game this Saturday, which is ridiculous at a level where there has been single figure attendances and most teams average about 40 lol!
Original post by Olie
^ Thanks and yeah hoping to have over 1000 at our big final away game this Saturday, which is ridiculous at a level where there has been single figure attendances and most teams average about 40 lol!

Yeah, i read an article somewhere saying your average attendance has been 500+ this season - fantastic. Great crowd expected at the weekend too, i can see why you could make the journey especially! I think because of what the club has been through you appreciate these little things more.

Although Wrexham haven't had it as bad as you, i can't be too upset on Sunday if we don't win. I just appreciate the fans saved this club and we can all still head along to the Racecourse and watch a team play on that pitch!
My first post in advance of Barnet's appearance next season in the Conference, as I used to call it.

Of the teams in the play-off final, I hope Wrexham win, only because some of my ancestors lived in Ruabon, not far away.
Today we have the Conference North and South Play off semi-final second legs, while on Sunday it is the Conference National Play Off Final, Wrexham v Newport.
Reply 1787
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Yeah, i read an article somewhere saying your average attendance has been 500+ this season - fantastic. Great crowd expected at the weekend too, i can see why you could make the journey especially! I think because of what the club has been through you appreciate these little things more.

Although Wrexham haven't had it as bad as you, i can't be too upset on Sunday if we don't win. I just appreciate the fans saved this club and we can all still head along to the Racecourse and watch a team play on that pitch!

Yeah its nice to see a club actually being saved for once, you had several years of problems iirc? But I certainly enjoyed my trips to the Racecourse, think my last ever R&D away game was Wrexham and I remember the game at the end of the 2009/10 season where it was free entry for fans and it was quite funny at the end, cause your fans invaded the pitch and started singing up to us away fans in that little corner!
Original post by Olie
Yeah its nice to see a club actually being saved for once, you had several years of problems iirc? But I certainly enjoyed my trips to the Racecourse, think my last ever R&D away game was Wrexham and I remember the game at the end of the 2009/10 season where it was free entry for fans and it was quite funny at the end, cause your fans invaded the pitch and started singing up to us away fans in that little corner!

Second this, or a club being risen from the ashes by the fans and going on to having a fairytale in the terms of several promotions. On that note I was really pleased to see Bournemouth go up to the Championship after all the trouble they have had.
Hednesford or North Ferriby for the Evo-Stik Northern Premier title this afternoon - the latter need to at least match Hednesford's result to win. The other will be in the playoffs with Witton Albion, AFC Fylde and FC United of Manchester.

It's also the Blue Square North & South playoffs second legs:
Brackley (1) v Altrincham (2)
Guiseley (1) v FC Halifax (1)
Dover (3) v Eastleigh (1)
Salisbury (0) Chelmsford (1)

It's also Maidstone v Faversham in the Ryman Div 1 South playoff final today.
Reply 1790
So happy right now, AFC Rushden & Diamonds were promoted today, won 3-0, such a good feeling to go up in your first season and the celebrations on the pitch afterwards were crazy! Long way to go still to get back to where we were before (that's the first out of 5 promotions we'd need to make it back to the conference), but one step at a time :biggrin:

Another Northamptonshire team, Brackley beat Altrincham to make the blue square north playoff final and I see Maidstone were promoted to the Ryman Premier as well. And Spennymoor won the FA Vase against Tunbridge Wells at wembley, 16,000 there as well, to see 2 step 5 teams, great crowd that:eek:
Original post by Olie

Yeah, we've had a few problems since 2005. Went into administration and had all those problems that comes along with that and then 18 months ago players didn't get paid during the summer and the Conference people demanded a deposit of £250,000 from the club or they would kick us out of the leagues and they gave us two weeks to find that cash. All sorts went on and then fans decided to give them their savings, deposits for weddings etc and it was literally half an hour or so before the deadline we were saved. Rubbish has gone on between the fans and "potential" owners but finally the fans got the club. We still have our cash problems and that is why we need to get back to the FL! Tomorrow's game is a potential £800,000 difference for the club. We also have 17 players with their contracts running out next month. I know Newport have had their fair share of cash problems too so even for them that money would be huge (although they now have a £45.5m lottery winner as a chairman who i'm pretty sure would help them out...) but we need this money to just keep the club safe for another season.

Haha, we still shove the away fans in that corner. :tongue: Although, having sat there for Bangor vs Maritimo in the Europa League, it's quite a cosy little corner!

Well done on going up. Hopefully you'll be one of those clubs with consecutive promotions, i didn't realise it was 5 promotions you needed. It just makes the attendances even more impressive!

That excited / sick feeling has completely arrived now... The next time i'm on here we'll either be a Football League club or i'll still have my wonderful away trips to Braintree and Forest Green. :rolleyes:
Wasn't just the Premier and Football league that had drama today, in the Conference North play off semi-finals, FC Halifax won 2-0 away to Guiseley, overall making it 3-1 in their favour. While in the other semi-final Brackley Town pulled back a 2-1 disadvantage by beating Altrincham 3-0, so the final will be Brackley v Halifax. In the South Salisbury won 2-0 against Chelmsford, therefore overturning a 1-0 advantage that Chelmsford had. In the Semi-Final, there was drama as Eastleigh brought back a 3-1 disadvantage by winning 2-0, unfortunately they lost 4-2 on penalties to Dover who will meet Salisbury in the final.

In the Northern Premier League, North Ferriby won the title so I suspect they will go in Conference North, they beat Hednesford in the promotion shoot out, my mate is rather gutted as he went as it is his local home team, they'll have to make do with the play offs with FC United Of Manchester, Witton Albion and AFC Fylde

All set for tomorrow then for the big one in the Conference National.
Hednesford probably deserve to go up after playoff heartbreak in recent seasons. But its a lottery for them now as Stour found out last week.

Meanwhile Aldershot Town in terrible financial trouble which may offer a reprieve to Stockport County and perhaps Barrow too in the Conference National!

Today sees the Ryman League Div 1 North playoff final as well as the all-important Conference Premier play-off final.
Reply 1794
So there we go. Newport 2 - 0 Wrexham. A good game, good advert for non-league football.

Feel really sorry for you. Didn't deserve that - yet another season in the conference, but there are plenty of positives - especially the money you'll have recieved from two wembley appearances should really put you in good stead for the upcoming season.

That drive home after losing in the play off final is horrendous, - the best place to win, worst place to lose etc. But it will hopefully have been a good experience for the players and you'll come back more determined than ever.

Congrats to Newport though - great by Justin Edinburgh to build the squad he has
Newport County will play in League 2 next season, Wales is doing so well. A welsh hitman won both PFA awards, Swansea are establishing themselves as a solid mid-table team and won the league cup, Cardiff promoted to the PL and now Newport promoted to the football league. Congrats to them and North Wales!
Feel so sorry for Wrexham, they couldn't have got any closer these last two seasons. Why on earth hasn't the Conference got a 3rd promotion place yet? It's hardly full of a load of part time cloggers playing on muddy pitches like some people would make it out to be, it's effectively League Three already.
Original post by sr90
Feel so sorry for Wrexham, they couldn't have got any closer these last two seasons. Why on earth hasn't the Conference got a 3rd promotion place yet? It's hardly full of a load of part time cloggers playing on muddy pitches like some people would make it out to be, it's effectively League Three already.

+1, it should be 3 up from the Conference; most are full time outfits and its becoming a massive bottleneck now.

Bad luck to Wrexham; will be interesting to see how Newport County do in the league though.

Commiserations to ra-ra-ra, gutted for you :frown:
Reply 1798
+1, it should be 3 up from the Conference; most are full time outfits and its becoming a massive bottleneck now.

Bad luck to Wrexham; will be interesting to see how Newport County do in the league though.

Commiserations to ra-ra-ra, gutted for you :frown:

completely agree with everything there.
think newport will do ok - they have a tonne of money to chuck at things - and that tends to work - unfortunately
Reply 1799
Yeah, we've had a few problems since 2005. Went into administration and had all those problems that comes along with that and then 18 months ago players didn't get paid during the summer and the Conference people demanded a deposit of £250,000 from the club or they would kick us out of the leagues and they gave us two weeks to find that cash. All sorts went on and then fans decided to give them their savings, deposits for weddings etc and it was literally half an hour or so before the deadline we were saved. Rubbish has gone on between the fans and "potential" owners but finally the fans got the club. We still have our cash problems and that is why we need to get back to the FL! Tomorrow's game is a potential £800,000 difference for the club. We also have 17 players with their contracts running out next month. I know Newport have had their fair share of cash problems too so even for them that money would be huge (although they now have a £45.5m lottery winner as a chairman who i'm pretty sure would help them out...) but we need this money to just keep the club safe for another season.

Haha, we still shove the away fans in that corner. :tongue: Although, having sat there for Bangor vs Maritimo in the Europa League, it's quite a cosy little corner!

Well done on going up. Hopefully you'll be one of those clubs with consecutive promotions, i didn't realise it was 5 promotions you needed. It just makes the attendances even more impressive!

That excited / sick feeling has completely arrived now... The next time i'm on here we'll either be a Football League club or i'll still have my wonderful away trips to Braintree and Forest Green. :rolleyes:

Bangor are playing there again tomorrow in the Welsh cup final, I've watched them several times being at uni there this season, though I do think they should move back to the English system, the Welsh premier is a bit of a pathetic excuse for a league, none of the other teams really have any fans and its set to be dominated by TNS for years and years.

But commiserations for today, losing in the playoffs once is bad enough but to lose it 3 years in a row is awful, fingers crossed you'll go up automatically next year but there really should be another promotion place now with so many ex-FL teams battling it out in the conference. Though I'm pleased for Justin Edinburgh, such a great manager and a great guy, look forward to seeing what he can do in the next few years, I can see a bigger club trying to take him for sure.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest