The Student Room Group

Which way would be best to ensure I can work in the US?

After I have finished doing my A-levels -I'm just finishing my GCSE's at the moment- I have figured out two possible routes for University, but I don't know which one would be best...

I could go to a University here, hopefully a very prestigious one, and study law. Then once I've finished my course, study for the LSAT's and try to get into a good law school.
This way might mean though that it would be harder for me to get a job because I would need sponsoring for a Work Visa (anyone know anything about that?) and it would worsen my chances.

Or I could go to Uni and Law School in America, do the citizenship test, become a citizen and then start trying to find a job.

The only problem would be money, anybody know how generous schools and Unis are for helping financially?

Which option do you think is best?
Reply 1
Here's what I know from my own research:

You'd need personal funding for studying your whole degree in america. UK student loans won't cover your expenses at all if you do an entire course there, and US loans only cover US citizens. So, you can get personal loans but those need immediate repaying so it would be very difficult for you to repay them while sustaining yourself out there. Scholarships are available for international students, here's a link for further information on that:

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/funding/external-funding-bodies

I'm not sure what you're intending to do when you say, "do the citizenship test, become a citizen and then start trying to find a job". I may be wrong, but from my understanding you'd transfer there on a student visa. This doesn't qualify you for citizenship, neither does owning a US based degree. I think you should research into that a little more.

About work visas, there are different ones you can get. You can get a visa which permits you to work for a US company that requires foreign workers due to a short supply in the domestic area and you can also get a transfer visa which simply transfers you from an office from your country to an office in their country. I think there's restrictions on this but I'm not 100% certain, but do bear in mind that sponsoring a visa costs a company money (I've heard around the $5000 mark), so you have to be a very attractive candidate for them. A bachelors degree is pretty essential in all of this, too.

I won't lie to you - overall it is pretty tough but do stick at it and fight your way there. I'd say the best way to go about it is to research into UK based companies which offer graduate schemes which also offer the potential for travel. One thing I'd say to be careful with for a Law degree is that the course and country you study the degree in may affect your career prospects. If you study UK law, you'd be best suited for a career in the UK since your skills apply here. Having a lawyer in the US which is experienced in UK law would be pointless, right?

I'd say keep researching and make sure that you go down the right path. Have an exact plan for the future so you know how you can make it happen. Since immigration restrictions are very tight for the US you'll need to make sure you don't end up in a position where you can't get a working visa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending