The Student Room Group

Do communal student attitudes differ between universities or are they all the same?

Do students attitude differ between universities or are they all the same? What I'm referring to, are snobs. Like, is it possible that certain universities would have more snobbish students who look down on people who are different from them, and certain universities would have a more cohesive student community? For example, would it be possible that, perhaps in a less prestigious university, most students would have entered it with an attitude like, 'i came here because by accident I performed less than my potential, and hence I'm better than all these *******s here'? And, perhaps having been accepted into an extremely prestigious university, students would regard one another as equals, but still, harbour an extremely competitive behavior? And perhaps, in a sufficiently prestigious university, all the students would feel proud of the university and hence be very accepting towards all other students regardless of where they come from how old they are how pretty they look, simply because all of them have the attitude 'I'm proud of my university, and everyone here is part of our proud family'? On another note, which university (or more specifically law school), would have more nerds? I think nerds might be easier people to get along with, because probably they would have got to where they are because of hardwork rather than their looks/social skills, and be less superficial, and hence would at best be humbly approachable genuine, and at worst be the sorts who simply mind their own business instead of going around judging people in terms of their skin color, height etc etc?
(edited 9 years ago)
This was too long for me to read in detail but you're overthinking it. You'll find people you do/don't get on with everywhere.
I've witnessed a difference in attitudes dependent on subject choice. Still it isn't a one size fits all! I found students following a path in commercial areas (e.g. tax avoidance) not as friendly and keen to look for vulnerabilities less likely to be even noticed in say a postgraduate human rights class.
Overthinking this WAY too much. no law school will have a different makeup to any other that is in a similar ranking tier to it. University wide trends are more noticeable, e.g. both bristol and durham have a rather affluent student body (generalising), but bristol differs in that it is MUCH more indie, to the extend that it can be seen as allmost the mainstream style on campus.

Whilst these wider trends are noticeable they shouldnt be of any concern, the student body is so large you always fall into a group of your type.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending