The Student Room Group

Struggling to urinate

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mushi_master
Did your doctor recommend you any laxatives in particular or prescribe you any? Dulcolax isn't really the best as it doesn't soften your stools, rather just makes your gut work harder. You don't necessarily need prune juice for fibre intake, you can get plenty from cereals such as bran, fruit and vegetables and avoiding things like loads of starch and red meats. This may be worth another trip to the GP to discuss ways of treating any contipation and they may be able to prescribe something more appropriate.

Will they try to give me a suppository or enema though? I would like to avoid this as I'm getting sore, will they give me a normal laxative first?

I probably sound quite childish, I just haven't ever had experience in hospitals or Gps etc I'm never ill. So it's quite worrying for me.
Original post by Anonymous
Will they try to give me a suppository or enema though? I would like to avoid this as I'm getting sore, will they give me a normal laxative first?

I probably sound quite childish, I just haven't ever had experience in hospitals or Gps etc I'm never ill. So it's quite worrying for me.

If you really are extremely backed up, and laxatives/diet fail to shift it, then that may become an option, although they will likely try some appropriate laxatives in the first instance. Definitely worth a trip to the GP either way, this really needs sorting (and if this approach doesn't work, other diagnoses may need to be considered).

My main advice though is to not worry about what people on the internet has said, even those here with medical training haven't assessed you clinically/examined you. Even if something has taken a few trips to the GP, it is still worth reattending, GPs often use time and reappointments to follow patients up and to clarify a diagnosis, so it would be an appropriate thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mushi_master
If you really are extremely backed up, and laxatives/diet fail to shift it, then that may become an option, although they will likely try some appropriate laxatives in the first instance. Definitely worth a trip to the GP either way, this really needs sorting (and if this approach doesn't work, other diagnoses may need to be considered).

My main advice though is to not worry about what people on the internet has said, even those here with medical training haven't assessed you clinically/examined you. Even if something has taken a few trips to the GP, it is still worth reattending, GPs often use time and reappointments to follow patients up and to clarify a diagnosis, so it would be an appropriate thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I mean, it is coming out in bits and bobs. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I have been eating much more fibre/fruit/fruit juice so I'm thinking maybe in a couple of days, when all the old unhealthy bit is out, I might start to feel better? I was going to go back to hospital earlier but then I suddenly did loads and loads of wee so left it (got revision to do).

Yeah that is good advice thank you, I have spent so long reading various things it could be online and worrying myself mad. I was examined on Tuesday, he tapped my kidneys and felt my stomach etc and said it was all fine. I think I'm just being impatient and it might take a few more days really.

Quick Reply

Latest