The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

I'm beyond screwed for Phil & Ethics.

I got full UMS last year, so I'm hoping that'll help me scrape the A I need for Uni [my offer's A*AA, but they A* is going to be my Psychology aim] but I know an A* is beyond ambitious, and I'm worried I'll miss the A too...

Religious Language I can't do- we barley finished it before we left and it's just a mess in my head, I don't know how to apply it to a question; I barely grasp the main principles.

Rel Exp is alright, as is Miracles. Nature of God [attributes] is alright, though it depends on the question focus, as does the soul/life after death.

Ethics is less scary, kind of...
Meta Ethics, Free Will/Determinism, Conscience & Sex are great, though I'm a bit shaky on some of the AS theories for sex [does anyone have any notes or resources for Utilitarianism or Kant??] and Virtue is alright aside from the modern ones. Business & Environment can jog on, I'm not even revising them because I just can't make it stick- surely 3/4 questions can't be about business & environment?? Right??

I think my biggest worry is how they phrase the questions? A lot depends on whether we get fairly broad or really narrow ones, and also what they actually ask for in terms of specific question, eugggh.
[double post]
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Hi guys i have some resources if you want them?? :smile: xxx
Original post by AnnieB

Always useful to have additional resources? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by AnnieB

Resources... Om nom nom...
As long as the questions are worded nicely I think it shouldn't be too bad.
I'm hoping for any ethics other than business or environment.
I find sexual ethics pretty easy as the basic principles of any AS theory are easy to apply I think. Utilitarianism you could look at things like pleasure, what would bring the greatest happiness, who has the ultimate preference etc. Kant you look at things like categorical imperatives, duty and no emotions etc.
Reply 27
Hey guys,
I am sitting both AS and A2 RS this year. I have done OCR AS with everyone else think it went well. However, as I never did A2 in school (I am now external) I don't really get how you structure the essay compared to AS essays where its two questions. Can anyone explain the difference in the questions between AS/A2 like how do you structure the 35 mark question, is it still 25 marks describing and 10 marks arguing just in 1 question?? Also does anyone know where you can find example essays with the marks they got?
Thanks
Reply 28
can anyone help me with the distinction between verification and falsification?? really confusing me :/ xxx
Reply 29
Original post by bobdol
Hey guys,
I am sitting both AS and A2 RS this year. I have done OCR AS with everyone else think it went well. However, as I never did A2 in school (I am now external) I don't really get how you structure the essay compared to AS essays where its two questions. Can anyone explain the difference in the questions between AS/A2 like how do you structure the 35 mark question, is it still 25 marks describing and 10 marks arguing just in 1 question?? Also does anyone know where you can find example essays with the marks they got?
Thanks

hi there the marking is split into A01 21 marks and A02 14 marks :smile: the best way to write it is for every point you make EVALUATE it as you go :smile: this will help it to flow and help gain extra marks :smile: when you evaluate you need to evaluate loads e.g. Point A explain then criticise A with view B then evaluate B with alternative view C. my teacher told us to visualise it like your argument/evaluation is a tennis ball going back and forht between tennis rackets :smile: hope this helps :smile: I will upload and essay where I got full marks to help :smile: xxx
Reply 30
here you go :smile: i re did this question which we did in class where I got a D. It is not timed :smile: xxx
I hope we get religious language as well, I'm starting to look at it and it is one of my favourites as well besides, Attributes of God and Life After Death.

And I do think language will come up, i mean it comes up every year :/
Original post by CheesusCrust
Favourite topic, either miracles or religious experience.. Two questions on these two (but definitely not related to God's omnibenevolence, I can never get enough marks on this topic) and I'll be very, very happy.. haha. What about yours?

I don't see A* as aiming high here, but I guess it's just me.. Last year I got 87/83 and an A, despite doing horrible and not doing too much revision. This year my marks in class are a lot higher, I never even had above 28 at AS and now at A2 I had 30+ consistently, last two essays being 33/35 and 34/35, which really gave me hope for the exam.. And revising 2 hours every day, not counting the school lessons just for Philosophy and Ethics for the last few months really, really helped. I really want full UMS marks even though to get into uni I want is a BCC lol.

Wow almost full marks :redface:
You gotta tell me how you do that. What kind of structure do you use and all. Because for me constantly whatever I do I always manage to scrape a B or get a low B and i would really like to push for a high B or an A at least
Original post by Gorganite
Wow almost full marks :redface:
You gotta tell me how you do that. What kind of structure do you use and all. Because for me constantly whatever I do I always manage to scrape a B or get a low B and i would really like to push for a high B or an A at least

Be obsessed about knowing 95% of the thinkers and theories on a given topic..

How I structure my essay:

Intro: Briefly mention the issues, the views on the topic and your argument..
Paragraph 1:
-Thinker/theory that supports your argument
---Criticise the thinker/theory with another thinker/theory/weakness in the argument
------Criticisee the criticism showing why the criticism fails
Repeat
Repeat
Paragraph 2:
-Thinker/theory that disagrees with your argument
---Criticise the thinker/theory with another thinker/theory/weakness in the argument
------Say why your criticism works
Repeat
Repeat

Conclusion: Summarise your argument(s), say why some disagree, say why they're wrong.

Pretty much what I do every time, and I get level 5 both for AO1 and AO2. It helps to know almost every main thinker's name and their theories and key names.

That should help. And if it helps other people, they will do better in the exam. And if they do better in the exam, they grade boundaries will be higher. And if the grade boundaries are higher, I will find it more difficult to get A*. I am sacrificing here for you! lol

My teacher emphasised criticising the criticism to get the 'critical analysis' in the level 5.. So if the question is about something like hard determinism, you'd state how this hard determinist supports your argument. Then you criticise it by, for example, saying how hard determinism entails no moral responsibility, and this is a weaknes.. You could criticise it by saying how it's simply an appeal to consequences, and that just because we don't like what adopting the hard determinist view would bring, it doesn't mean it's not true - it's like saying that just because you prefer that there is life after death, and not there being nothing, it doesn't mean that life after death therefore exists.
(edited 9 years ago)

Paragraph 1:
Repeat
Repeat
Paragraph 2:
Repeat
Repeat

Conclusion: Summarise your argument(s), say why some disagree, say why they're wrong.

Pretty much what I do every time, and I get level 5 both for AO1 and AO2. It helps to know almost every main thinker's name and their theories and key names.

That should help. And if it helps other people, they will do better in the exam. And if they do better in the exam, they grade boundaries will be higher. And if the grade boundaries are higher, I will find it more difficult to get A*. I am sacrificing here for you! lol

My teacher emphasised criticising the criticism to get the 'critical analysis' in the level 5.. So if the question is about something like hard determinism, you'd state how this hard determinist supports your argument. Then you criticise it by, for example, saying how hard determinism entails no moral responsibility, and this is a weaknes.. You could criticise it by saying how it's simply an appeal to consequences, and that just because we don't like what adopting the hard determinist view would bring, it doesn't mean it's not true - it's like saying that just because you prefer that there is life after death, and not there being nothing, it doesn't mean that life after death therefore exists.

Wow, that looks so... Complex. So much criticism :smile:
How am I gonna do this is an exam :/
Reply 35

Paragraph 1:
Repeat
Repeat
Paragraph 2:
Repeat
Repeat

Is this for the whole question or just the discussion part? Seems like so much evaluation/comparing points compared to AS!
Thanks

BTW thanks Annie for the info and test paper really helpful:smile:!
Original post by bobdol
Is this for the whole question or just the discussion part? Seems like so much evaluation/comparing points compared to AS!
Thanks

BTW thanks Annie for the info and test paper really helpful:smile:!

That's the whole question.. In AS we had to do AO1 for the 25 marker, and AO2 for the 10 marker. At A2 I basically do it like I did the 10 marker, but go a lot more in depth about the thinkers, their theories and what they say, basically combining the two. At least that's what my teacher recommended.

Original post by Gorganite
Wow, that looks so... Complex. So much criticism :smile:
How am I gonna do this is an exam :/

It's not really that complex haha. Intro and conclusion, that's quite obvious lol. It's just a matter of making an argument using whoever/whatever you use, criticising it, and then criticising the criticism, then repeating that two more times, and then second parapraph reversing it, so you say why someone might disagree with you, and you criticise them so in the end your argument is the best one.
Make some practice plans and that should sink in :smile:
That's the whole question.. In AS we had to do AO1 for the 25 marker, and AO2 for the 10 marker. At A2 I basically do it like I did the 10 marker, but go a lot more in depth about the thinkers, their theories and what they say, basically combining the two. At least that's what my teacher recommended.

It's not really that complex haha. Intro and conclusion, that's quite obvious lol. It's just a matter of making an argument using whoever/whatever you use, criticising it, and then criticising the criticism, then repeating that two more times, and then second parapraph reversing it, so you say why someone might disagree with you, and you criticise them so in the end your argument is the best one.
Make some practice plans and that should sink in :smile:

Even though I understood the second time you explained I understood better :colondollar:
How is your revision going by the way, and how do you revise this?
I really dislike ethics more than last year, it just seems a lot more complicated especially with the business and environmental ethics :mad:
Reply 38
Hi everyone, I'm feeling really stressed about RS. I just can't seem to remember everything, especially the topic on life after death which was the last topic our teacher went through. On the whole, the topics this year are much harder than last year's. I am probably going into the exam room knowing 3-4 topics well and hoping that there are two questions on them.
Original post by chowkat
Hi everyone, I'm feeling really stressed about RS. I just can't seem to remember everything, especially the topic on life after death which was the last topic our teacher went through. On the whole, the topics this year are much harder than last year's. I am probably going into the exam room knowing 3-4 topics well and hoping that there are two questions on them.

I know how you're feeling :frown:

But I think philosophy I'm fine for really I understand Life after death, Attributes of God (which everyone seems to hate :confused:), Miracles, Now just need to do religous language and experiences.

It's ethics I need to work on cause my teacher for that was just so bad. We literally rushed through the last units (sexual, business, and environmental). All i have confidence of is determinism and conscience. Meta Ethics not a clue how to answer at all, and Virtue Ethics just seems boring ::unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending