The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobdol
Hey I have a quick question, with the structure it's important to make a point then counter it then counter the counter. Well when countering does it have to be a counter from the same topic as the first point?

So for instance I just wrote an essay on aj ayer verification/religous language and one part I put a counter of - scientific laws are now meaningless as cant prove they are true by being everywhere to show gravity is everywhere. I then counter that with humes ideas of scientific/natural law being statistical conjunction and how we see things a lot but not actually make them true perhaps scientific laws are actually meaningless.

Would that work even though humes ideas are never brought up in the book relating to religous language?
Thanks

Sounds good to me, the thing with these modules is that you can draw from each of them and incorporate them e.g. religious language's verification and falsification principle can be used with miracles and religious experience etc :biggrin: That is what I am doing
Original post by cocopopscastle
With life after death, an essay 'evaluate the claim that there can be no disembodied existence after death' the mark scheme states that 'Some may for example focus much of their assessment on the thorny issue of identity and what would ‘I’ need to be in order to have some kind of existence after death where I have no body but could still be recognised at least to myself as me.' I have no clue what that means is it like category mistake and descartes??? HELP :eek:

It's basically saying that some philosophers such as Plato consider the soul as being the "I"- a persons identity. He believes that it is the soul which contains who we are as a person. Evidence for this could be that when you cut your hair or get a tattoo, you're not seen as a different person. You are still you! However, people like Hick are saying that with his replica theory, it is also a persons body which identifies themselves. If you were in a room full of 'souls', then what is it that makes you distinct? You do not have a specific trait which distinguishes yourself as an individual in a room of souls, therefore the body is also part of a persons identity.
Original post by hannahlouise1996
just noticed that Religious Experiences wasn't a question last year so there's a good chance that one will come up and for the ethics, sexual ethics hasn't been done since 2010 and conscience was last mentioned 2012.. Just a thought of what might come up

Let's take one step at a time shall we love? Let's leave the predictions and panicking of Ethics until AFTER Philosophy - THAAANK YOU!
I still do not know what the hell Hick is saying about Replica Theory.. Urgh God! What is wrong with me. It's taken almost 2 hours to revise Dualism/Monism... Damn it!! :frown:
Original post by Cool_JordH
Is people who haven't got enough time just basically revising the ones that Bruno said that will come up in the exam?:

1. Critically assess A.J Ayer and Verificationism
2. "Self-authenticity" of religious experiences
3. Is monism more coherent than dualism?
4. "Miracles are not divine but just coincidences". Discuss.

What if non of these come up????!?!

Where did you even get these predictions from??? :s-smilie:
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
Where did you even get these predictions from??? :s-smilie:

BrunoRussell got them from a website that the officials use. It's not going to be the exact questions but the topics are going to be around them. For example everyone's revising monism/dualism and Religious Language, etc.

These officials predicted the AS Ethics and Philosophy and got 3/4 right on both papers this year so people who haven't got time to revise everything are revising those 4 things... cause ya know... the exam IS tomorrow
Original post by appleduck

Had a horrible dream that there was two questions on Religious Language and two questions on Miracles!!!

LOOOOOOOOOL, this made me crease!! It seems like you're stressing so much, you're dreaming about the exam already LMFAO! So funny!!

They would never use 2 topics in one exam! But jesus, I have stitches so funny!
Original post by hannahlouise1996
for the ethics, sexual ethics hasn't been done since 2010 and conscience was last mentioned 2012.. Just a thought of what might come up

Sexual Ethics was on in Jan 2012 and Conscience was on in Jan 2013! Aha, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BrunoRussell got them from a website that the officials use. It's not going to be the exact questions but the topics are going to be around them. For example everyone's revising monism/dualism and Religious Language, etc.

These officials predicted the AS Ethics and Philosophy and got 3/4 right on both papers this year so people who haven't got time to revise everything are revising those 4 things... cause ya know... the exam IS tomorrow

I feel as though I should know who this ineffable Bruno Russell is? :colondollar: It will be interesting to see the similarities tomorrow :tongue:

I still don't think that those questions will turn up tbh

So is it unlikely that Nature of God will come up?
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
I feel as though I should know who this ineffable Bruno Russell is? :colondollar: It will be interesting to see the similarities tomorrow :tongue:

He's like the Philosophy and Ethics guru of this thread. He made this EXCELLENT revision notes of A2 Philosophy... Haven't looked at nothing but it! Absolutely amazing! And yeah, I have a feeling RL and Dual/mon will come up tomorrow for sure!
Original post by cocopopscastle
I still don't think that those questions will turn up tbh

Really? Why is this? I think something about Ayer and mon/dual will come up. My predictions are hot like fire too!

Last year for my English Lang exam, said that they would ask question about Grammar for children's language acquisition... The question was "explain how children use grammar"... this year for language I said I bet Accents will come up.. it came up and also for my lit exam said two poems would come up... it came up.... Also predicted for Ethics resit that Categorical Imperatives would come up... that came up too.. .

So I'm gonna have faith that my predictions and trust of the official ones do come up!
Can someone please explain how they'd answer a question on the "self-authenticity" of religious experience? How would you bring in other areas of religious experience?
I have not revised Life and Death as it simply did not appeal to my revision-focused mind; I am focusing on miracles and religious language. That Ayer question would be wonderful! Trying to figure how I would answer that miracles one now :s-smilie:
Original post by appleduck
So is it unlikely that Nature of God will come up?

Well I think a few people like 3 to 1 are saying it might come up but they are skeptical about it... I never did this topic at school.. even if I did by the sounds of it, it sounds horrendous!
Original post by bobdol
Hey I have a quick question, with the structure it's important to make a point then counter it then counter the counter. Well when countering does it have to be a counter from the same topic as the first point?

So for instance I just wrote an essay on aj ayer verification/religous language and one part I put a counter of - scientific laws are now meaningless as cant prove they are true by being everywhere to show gravity is everywhere. I then counter that with humes ideas of scientific/natural law being statistical conjunction and how we see things a lot but not actually make them true perhaps scientific laws are actually meaningless.

Would that work even though humes ideas are never brought up in the book relating to religous language?
Thanks

I think you can do this if you are careful not to get sidetracked. Religious experience and miracles are two very similar topics and I don't think there's anything wrong with applying criticisms made be Wiles regarding the arbitrary nature of miracles to, say, the Torento blessing. As long as you make sure to stay on track its fine, may even give you brownie points for linking topics.
He's like the Philosophy and Ethics guru of this thread. He made this EXCELLENT revision notes of A2 Philosophy... Haven't looked at nothing but it! Absolutely amazing! And yeah, I have a feeling RL and Dual/mon will come up tomorrow for sure!

Can I access the notes?
Well I think a few people like 3 to 1 are saying it might come up but they are skeptical about it... I never did this topic at school.. even if I did by the sounds of it, it sounds horrendous!

The only year nature of God hasn't come up is January 2011 so I think it probably will come up
Really? Why is this? I think something about Ayer and mon/dual will come up. My predictions are hot like fire too!

Last year for my English Lang exam, said that they would ask question about Grammar for children's language acquisition... The question was "explain how children use grammar"... this year for language I said I bet Accents will come up.. it came up and also for my lit exam said two poems would come up... it came up.... Also predicted for Ethics resit that Categorical Imperatives would come up... that came up too.. .

So I'm gonna have faith that my predictions and trust of the official ones do come up!

Yeah I see that- I have my own policy of guestimation- Hopefully miracles will come up but I have noooooo clue! I think though all/most of the questions from the last two papers won't come up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending