The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gorganite
Even though I understood the second time you explained I understood better :colondollar:
How is your revision going by the way, and how do you revise this?
I really dislike ethics more than last year, it just seems a lot more complicated especially with the business and environmental ethics :mad:

I remember the mock in January we had.. I revised everything except environmental and business ethics, because I thought ''It's impossible that they'd put two questions on these two and nothing on anything else''.. And then we had them both lol. Still got an A somehow.

Ethics I think is easier than philosophy, there's a lot less to remember, but the grade boundaries are usually higher.

I just revise by re-reading my mindmaps and making some plans for past paper questions.. Just gotta make sure you understand what the question is asking you to do lol.
Original post by CheesusCrust
I remember the mock in January we had.. I revised everything except environmental and business ethics, because I thought ''It's impossible that they'd put two questions on these two and nothing on anything else''.. And then we had them both lol. Still got an A somehow.

Ethics I think is easier than philosophy, there's a lot less to remember, but the grade boundaries are usually higher.

I just revise by re-reading my mindmaps and making some plans for past paper questions.. Just gotta make sure you understand what the question is asking you to do lol.

You sound really smart haha. Whilst me I probably sound really dumb :colondollar:
Here's hoping the questions they ask are clear and decent
Does anyone have any predictions? I really hope we get life after death for philosophy and sexual ethics in ethics, purely because that's pretty much the easiest to apply..
Life after death is actually my favorite!
I did better in philosophy last year and found it a lot easier whereas I've got As on almost every essay I've done in ethics this year. I dislike all these modern virtue ethics, environment and business. I love free will and meta ethics.
Something linked with both experience and revelation would be great. I won't touch an attributes question, even with a barge pole.
Original post by Gorganite
You sound really smart haha. Whilst me I probably sound really dumb :colondollar:
Here's hoping the questions they ask are clear and decent

There are 4 questions.. At least two of them have to be fairly easy.

Please.. lol
This may be a really obvious question, but in my book, there is a thought point which states 'if you are a materialist you cannot be a dualist or believe in rebirth, but you can believe in bodily resurrection' can somebody please explain how this works? Thanks!!
Reply 46
Original post by Shannon1329
This may be a really obvious question, but in my book, there is a thought point which states 'if you are a materialist you cannot be a dualist or believe in rebirth, but you can believe in bodily resurrection' can somebody please explain how this works? Thanks!!

Materialists believe body and soul cannot be separated. During bodily resurrection the body is resurrected with the soul, as opposed to spiritual resurrection where it is just the soul that continues after death.

Hope this helps
Original post by JonnyD
Materialists believe body and soul cannot be separated. During bodily resurrection the body is resurrected with the soul, as opposed to spiritual resurrection where it is just the soul that continues after death.

Hope this helps

Ahhh that clears it up, thank you!
Do we need to know about Hindu beliefs about rebirth etc?
Reply 49

I'm planning on chucking it in if I can! :smile:

I don't think we need to I've looked at previous exam reports and have a specific text book and they don't mention
Reply 51

We need to know about reincarnation, and hinduism can be used an an example of a belief in reincarnation. Don't think we need to know any specific beliefs in detail though
Anyone revising propositional revelation? Have a feeling it would come up tied with religious experience.
Reply 53
Hi can someone help me !! What is meant by disembodied existence ? Is that Plato and the idea that only the soul continues. Would really appreciate the help
Reply 54
Original post by willy96
Hi can someone help me !! What is meant by disembodied existence ? Is that Plato and the idea that only the soul continues. Would really appreciate the help ������

Disembodied existence is life after death without your original, physical human body. So yes, Plato did subscribe to disembodied existence because he believed the soul and body were separate - as did Descartes and Price!
Reply 55
Original post by Alpie
Disembodied existence is life after death without your original, physical human body. So yes, Plato did subscribe to disembodied existence because he believed the soul and body were separate - as did Descartes and Price!

Thanks a lot :smile: I've got it now !!
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
Anyone revising propositional revelation? Have a feeling it would come up tied with religious experience.

Yes! Revelation through scripture is on the specification and on the mock we had, the question was about the only way to experience God can be through scripture, so you can write about experience itself and scripture.
Reply 57
hey guys, I am a bit confused about business ethics.. like what qs could they ask that is not applied to one of the ethical theories. eg in the spec it says we need to know about business and consumers.. could that be a whole qs? if so would you just bring in the ethical theories? also can conscience come up with business ethics? thanksss
I really struggle with the subject, I feel there is so much content to know!!
I've been selectively revising and have chosen not to revise miracles (such a big chapter!!) and also revaluation through holly scriptures (hardly ever comes up)
For ethics, I've also chosen not to revise environmental and business ethics (purely because it wasn't taught well and I refuse to teach it to myself despite the fact it does come up nearly every year!)
This means that if there two topics do come up I will have to do the other two question.
Is anyone else doing this or am I being to risky and should try to revise everything :/ ??
Original post by Amberlake
I really struggle with the subject, I feel there is so much content to know!!
I've been selectively revising and have chosen not to revise miracles (such a big chapter!!) and also revaluation through holly scriptures (hardly ever comes up)
For ethics, I've also chosen not to revise environmental and business ethics (purely because it wasn't taught well and I refuse to teach it to myself despite the fact it does come up nearly every year!)
This means that if there two topics do come up I will have to do the other two question.
Is anyone else doing this or am I being to risky and should try to revise everything :/ ??

I'm doing miracles because I understand it and find it works well... and it's a lot.

But we were never taught revelation through Holy Scriptures, so I shan't be revising it... and I'm not revising environment or business because I'm confident in the other topics & hate environment & business with a passion...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending