The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CakeIsthebest
The questions we wanted didn't come up..

Oh I know! I prayed about 10 times to make sure this "God" heard me... Damn it, there's no God!

I mean monism/dualism came up so did Miracles... obviously not the main predictions but the topics came up!
Original post by cocopopscastle
Tbh I didn't like the paper- no clue about numinous except the definition :frown: I'm no good at RS essay's funny thing is that I asked about them on the tsr yesterday but anyways- miracles was ok- just hate how detailed you have to be - bye bye uni! Btw if anyone doing the theology paper instead of ethics - let me know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you talk about for miracles? :smile:
Original post by BrunoRussell
I'm sorry but he is right, numinous expereinces are by their nature mystical. It would be like saying I like a 'Jack Russell is not as nice as a dog'. Comparisons against numinious could have been from James, Avilla, Conversion, Corporate or from scripture... any of these may count as 'more effective' ways of God revealing himself.
You could still get something from mystical as it is a type of mystical, therefore any criticism against mystical would work against numinous. However, comparing the two would be wooly and unlikely to gain many marks (it would be like arguing is a Jack Russell better than a dog?)

I didn't compare the two, I argued how better Mystic was compared to Numinous
Original post by mh0000
No we were definitely taught separate
Rudolf THOUGHT all were numinous but that was just his opinion
Mystical are sense of one-ness
Numinous are sense of experiencing the otherness
They are defo different

Thank you!
Reply 784
How much does the way you write control what mark you get?
I wrote like a 2 year old
Original post by annmcc
On the bright side this has shown that people cannot base their revision around what random people on the internet predict will come up :redface:

This is no time to be smug my dear. This is a very sad time for some of up. Show some respect and condole us...

PS: I had to because I never had time to revise EVERYTHING... And I actually revised for Hick and Plato... I didn't revise myth and symbol... Neither miracles or numinous... HOWEVER, I did revise religious experience in general and Revelations AND Mystic Experience so I think there's hope!:rolleyes:
Original post by mh0000
No we were definitely taught separate
Rudolf THOUGHT all were numinous but that was just his opinion
Mystical are sense of one-ness
Numinous are sense of experiencing the otherness
They are defo different

There seperate ideas under the same umbrella. 'Numinous experience' is not just Otoo, he is just one advocate... others include the like of C.S Lewis and the analogy of the tiger in the room. What Otoo believes is different.
Numinous also has oneness but this is exemplified by 'mysterium fascinans' and 'mysterium tremendum': this is the central difference.
You could use arguments in the exam but would depend on phrasing. Afterall to say 'numinious experiences are not effective' BUT 'mystical are' would be ilogical. Questioning the mystical is fine as this would also question the numinous. 'Mystical experiences' anyway are a very broad term, which is why there is so much refute on if conversion/corporarte do fall in to that category even though they are seen seperate to the numinous. You could have easily raised the issue, as Hay does, that 'numinous' is to vague and ambigious: this is why it causes confusion and ultimatley dosen't lead to an effective way of God revealing himself, especially not as succesful as say for example scripture.
Well after the innacuracy of the philosophy ones take with EXTREME caution. Nevertheless, the preditions are:

1. Critically assess Freud's view that conscience is the voice of our upbringing
2. 'Natural Law provides the best approach to issues surrounding contraception'. Discuss
3. To what extent do the strengths of Virtue theory outweight the weaknesses?
4. 'Businesses are unethical as they have no conscience'. Discuss

Natural Law was AS. This **** is wack yo
Original post by annmcc
I agree. They predicted 4/4 units correctly. But have you seen how angry some people on this thread are that Ayer didn't come up?

I WAS PISSED! It was not just because of that ONE prediction BRUNORUSSELL posted, but a lot of others posted some exam analysis saying "OCR have never done a question on that so it's a huge possibility" etc. So people were gearing up for it... I was a fool... such a fool I say...
Original post by lilyfaf
I did the question on Religious Language, but rather than arguing that myth WAS more useful than symbol (or the other way round) I argued that analogy was more useful as it was accessible to all. So I did talk a lot about myth and symbol but criticised both really... do you think this will be ok?

Really wasn't happy with that exam at all :frown:

I think they were predominately asking for you to write about Myth AND Symbols...

However, if you used your argument of analogy correctly, you have will be alright!
Original post by Narutopolaris

The applied ethics can be tested with any of the 4 AS theories or with Virtue ethisc and conscience from A2
Well after the innacuracy of the philosophy ones take with EXTREME caution. Nevertheless, the preditions are:

1. Critically assess Freud's view that conscience is the voice of our upbringing
2. 'Natural Law provides the best approach to issues surrounding contraception'. Discuss
3. To what extent do the strengths of Virtue theory outweight the weaknesses?
4. 'Businesses are unethical as they have no conscience'. Discuss

Well I have like 8 days to revise Ethics so I can get pretty much all of the revision done... But focus more on Conscience/determinism, Virtuous and Sexual ethics and Business/Environment. I prefer Environment then business though so might give one or the other a miss aha
There seperate ideas under the same umbrella. 'Numinous experience' is not just Otoo, he is just one advocate... others include the like of C.S Lewis and the analogy of the tiger in the room. What Otoo believes is different.
Numinous also has oneness but this is exemplified by 'mysterium fascinans' and 'mysterium tremendum': this is the central difference.
You could use arguments in the exam but would depend on phrasing. Afterall to say 'numinious experiences are not effective' BUT 'mystical are' would be ilogical. Questioning the mystical is fine as this would also question the numinous. 'Mystical experiences' anyway are a very broad term, which is why there is so much refute on if conversion/corporarte do fall in to that category even though they are seen seperate to the numinous. You could have easily raised the issue, as Hay does, that 'numinous' is to vague and ambigious: this is why it causes confusion and ultimatley dosen't lead to an effective way of God revealing himself, especially not as succesful as say for example scripture.

https://www.boundless.com/sociology/understanding-religion/the-symbolic-interactionist-perspective/religious-experience/

Have a read of that.
Reply 793
Original post by Cool_JordH
This is no time to be smug my dear. This is a very sad time for some of up. Show some respect and condole us...

PS: I had to because I never had time to revise EVERYTHING... And I actually revised for Hick and Plato... I didn't revise myth and symbol... Neither miracles or numinous... HOWEVER, I did revise religious experience in general and Revelations AND Mystic Experience so I think there's hope!:rolleyes:

Wow okay. I wasn't being smug ('my dear'...very condescending), I looked at the predictions as well. I meant it as I wrote it, it is something to learn from for the next exam. I didn't have time to revise everything either. I'm sure it went better than you think! It always does. So hard to judge with arts subjects as it's so subjective

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG, I am toooooooooootally will you on this! I literally panicked when I saw the questions... The odds were definitely NOT in my favour...

It's because we were relying on the predictions. So so gutted. I was meant to get an A* in this subjects and now I won't even get an A. :frown:

Err we have to know all the ethical theories from last year as we could be asked to apply them to sexual ethics, business ethics or environmental ethics...
Oh I know! I prayed about 10 times to make sure this "God" heard me... Damn it, there's no God!

I mean monism/dualism came up so did Miracles... obviously not the main predictions but the topics came up!

I hadn't revised Hick at all :'( and yeah. I've stopped believing in a God.

I'M NOT SAYING THE TWO ARE THE SAME... they are just not different.

If concept A and Concept B are both part of X this assumes that both require X and not that both look at X in the same way. Numinous is talking of mystical experiences in a different way to the atypical. As I said, you could talk about in the exam but it would be wooly and easily confused. It's much more difficult that a clear alternative such as the scripture.
Original post by mh0000
How much does the way you write control what mark you get?
I wrote like a 2 year old

As in handwriting, or writing style? :smile:

Calm yourself, you can be asked to apply any of the AS theories to any A2 application [including sex, which covers contraception]!
Reply 799
Anyone got any essays for ethics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending