The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aleena-15103
Hahahaha. Awh man, the only topics I've done for that are verification and falsification and via negativa and signs and symbols. I don't understand how people revise 6/6 topics.. Or even 5 tbh.. I'm not gunna have enough time to get done 5 :s-smilie: feel so screwed. My teacher predicted what was going to come up so hope she's right tbh. And you can get A LOT done in 5 days. You'll be fine
Good luck with the revision!
Original post by miscwhatdo
Good luck with the revision!

Thanks. I shall need it. Good luck to you too!
Thanks. I shall need it. Good luck to you too!

What were your teachers predictions? :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Shannon1329
Right now I am panicking... Who is holland and what did he say about monism and dualism.. I can't find anything in my book or my notes?!

Holland wrote about miracles, supporting the contingency definition of miracles. This definition views miracles as signs pointing to God, events of religious significance rather than violations of the laws of nature. Holland gave the example of a boy playing on a railway line. The train is about to come around a bend and will not be able to stop in time. Luckily, the train driver had fainted and an automatic control switch had stopped the train. The mother interprets this as a miracle even though no laws of nature have been violated.

To summarise, Holland supported the contingency definition of miracles. The contingency definition claims that miracles are simply signs pointing to God and do not violate the laws of nature.

Hope this helps
question to you guys

which textbooks are your go-to for revision? and which sites (if any) have good content?
Verification/falsification/Via Negativa.

Mind/Body topic

One of the attributes from attributes of God section.. Can't remember tho

And like propositional and non-propositional topic

We basically sat down in the last lesson and wrote down which topics appeared going back to 2010 papers or 2011 can't remember

What on earth is propositional & non-propositional?

I'm beyond screwed for this exam. We didn't cover revelation through texts at all, I don't know how to write an essay on Religious Language, and I'm trying to cram in Psychology revision as well, where I need an A* to get into Uni. I need an A in this. Durham's looking like a joke right now. :'(
Original post by Anny Smiles

I'm beyond screwed for this exam. We didn't cover revelation through texts at all, I don't know how to write an essay on Religious Language, and I'm trying to cram in Psychology revision as well, where I need an A* to get into Uni. I need an A in this. Durham's looking like a joke right now. :'(
what is propositional? is this real life?
lol you better start hitting the revision hard soon.
what did you get last year?
Verification/falsification/Via Negativa.

Mind/Body topic

One of the attributes from attributes of God section.. Can't remember tho

And like propositional and non-propositional topic

We basically sat down in the last lesson and wrote down which topics appeared going back to 2010 papers or 2011 can't remember

I really hope we don't get a religious language question that is very specific, like, "to what extent was philosopher X successful?"

I avoided religious experience /attributes of God D: found them boring lol

I wouldn't bother revising it. That's such bad advice but if that was me.. Id make sure the topics I had done.. I knew them really well.. Because in the end.. You only have to do 2. Idk what propositional and non-propositional is, sorry ): it comes under that topic you mentioned. I can try help if you want but I don't think I'm revising that topic.. Not sure yet.

Isn't psychology on the same day as philosophy?

You'll be fine, I feel really screwed too. I need 2 B's in bio and chem which I'm much worst at so can hardly spend time on philosophy :/

What exam board for psychology? I'm on WJEC, it's on the same day as philosophy /:
Original post by WannaGetAnA
I really hope we don't get a religious language question that is very specific, like, "to what extent was philosopher X successful?"

I avoided religious experience /attributes of God D: found them boring lol

I hope it's a really nice 'assess' question with religious language. :frown: I find it pretty hard. And OMG sameeeeee!! But recently.. I discovered that I like God's omnipotence! So I've made notes for it and I might do some on God as rewarder and punisher or something
I hope it's a really nice 'assess' question with religious language. :frown: I find it pretty hard. And OMG sameeeeee!! But recently.. I discovered that I like God's omnipotence! So I've made notes for it and I might do some on God as rewarder and punisher or something

I'm avoiding that topic too oops :/ maybe I should do one of them so then I'll know 4/5. A question on miracles and evil would be good, it would be an interesting debate. I really want a question on the body soul distinction.

Although, I still need to go over the strengths/weaknesses of monism /dualism. Can you help me? :smile:
Original post by miscwhatdo
what is propositional? is this real life?
lol you better start hitting the revision hard soon.
what did you get last year?

We didn't cover revelation through sacred texts, so I'm guessing it's from that, and I'm having to avoid it?

I got full UMS last year, 200/200.

I wouldn't bother revising it. That's such bad advice but if that was me.. Id make sure the topics I had done.. I knew them really well.. Because in the end.. You only have to do 2. Idk what propositional and non-propositional is, sorry ): it comes under that topic you mentioned. I can try help if you want but I don't think I'm revising that topic.. Not sure yet.

Isn't psychology on the same day as philosophy?

You'll be fine, I feel really screwed too. I need 2 B's in bio and chem which I'm much worst at so can hardly spend time on philosophy :/

I figure that I answer 2/4, so not more than one's going to be revelation through sacred texts? We literally skipped it entirely, after being told "we'll get there", and I'm reluctant to try to self-teach something so close to the exam!

But I've done everything apart from that, just not strong on rel lang :frown:

And yes, Psychology is in the morning, Philosophy in the afternoon.

What exam board for psychology? I'm on WJEC, it's on the same day as philosophy /:

I'm Edexcel Psychology, also on the same day as Philosophy! It's a pain :frown:
I'm avoiding that topic too oops :/ maybe I should do one of them so then I'll know 4/5. A question on miracles and evil would be good, it would be an interesting debate. I really want a question on the body soul distinction.

Although, I still need to go over the strengths/weaknesses of monism /dualism. Can you help me? :smile:

Revelation makes me want to sleep. I love miracles but only Hume and Wiles. I think problem of evil would be nice mixed in with that. And ye.. I'll hopefully know at least 4! But idk when I'll do them.

And yeah I want that to come up too! I can try to help you! Is it the strengths and weaknesses?
Revelation makes me want to sleep. I love miracles but only Hume and Wiles. I think problem of evil would be nice mixed in with that. And ye.. I'll hopefully know at least 4! But idk when I'll do them.

And yeah I want that to come up too! I can try to help you! Is it the strengths and weaknesses?

Yeah the strengths and weaknesses :smile:
Time is up. Everyone stop discussing whether or not to revise, and get to it. Whip out the coffee and hit the revision until 2am. We can do this.

/thread
Yeah the strengths and weaknesses :smile:

So if you're making an argument for monism.. You can put forward Bernard Williams who basically argued that there's 1 key to identity and that's 'spatio-temporal continuity' which is continuity through space and time. So you would basically explain him..

You could then criticise him by saying that it's as difficult to prove that a separable soul doesn't exist compared to one saying that it does exist. (Dualists saying that well if monists say that a separable soul exists then there's no way to prove that there isn't a separable soul). And you could add to this by saying that science hasn't explained the existence of consciousness or how pure matter can give rise to consciousness.

(After this I have counter criticisms because that's how I plan to write my essay, so you would just make an argument using that point if you'd want to)

You could use Dawkins to criticise dualism. But the specific dualism criticism like for example for Descartes is : Brian Davis. He argues that the fact that I consider myself sober doesn't mean that I am sober. (Criticising Descartes 'I think therefore I am' argument for dualism)

He then says that it isn't clear what it would mean for a 'soul' to survive death. A 'soul' which doesn't inhabit a body wouldn't have a means of movement, no brain; with which to thing.. Etc.

You can criticise Plato too.. Idk the specific ones but basically you could talk about his World of the Forms briefly because his body/mind view comes from the concept of the Forms so if his Forms and blah aren't reliable then.. Yeah.. His view is rubbish yadda yadda.

You can criticise monism on the basis of 'intentionality of brain'.

Criticism to identity theory: Stephen T. Davis- challenge is that neural activity in the brain has no intentionality (mental events are private)
You'd then discuss this.. Do a counter criticism maybe. Depends on your line of argument.

You could also use out of body experiences to criticise monism.
You'd say:
In many societies there have been reports of people being able to leave their bodies whilst in meditative states and able to see things etcetc.
Give an example of this.

Discuss this.. Counter criticise if you wish.

Sorry, wasn't able to cover everything and in much detail but hope that's kind of helped a little!
Omg man, I managed to do like 1/1000th of revision today... I am completely f**ked for this exam.

I think I'm going to revise Religious Experiences and just Revelations for it. Then Religious Language, probs try and revise all of it. And then Life and Death the Heaven and Hell thing.... I can't fit a year's worth of confusion into my brain in 5 days... esp when French Tennis Open finals are on this weekend :frown:
Original post by Cool_JordH
Omg man, I managed to do like 1/1000th of revision today... I am completely f**ked for this exam.

I think I'm going to revise Religious Experiences and just Revelations for it. Then Religious Language, probs try and revise all of it. And then Life and Death the Heaven and Hell thing.... I can't fit a year's worth of confusion into my brain in 5 days... esp when French Tennis Open finals are on this weekend :frown:

Same position man :frown: apart from will cram in 1 day rather than 5. The stresssssss

Sorry, wasn't able to cover everything and in much detail but hope that's kind of helped a little!

Thank you so much! That helped a lot :biggrin: I really appreciate it! Did you type all that off the top of your head? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending