The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cool_JordH
Exactly, which I would have died if I sat that paper! Really? Meta Ethics isn't a lot. I would say Business/Enviro and Conscience has the most content to remember!

No, I don't think they can because it isn't a big topic. I think it will be OK to leave out Meta-Ethics if you want to. But they could fit that in with Free-Will/Det and Conscience if they wanted it. It's anyone's game to be honest.

But missing out one topic isn't gonna hurt to be honest!

Actually I have pretty good notes on meta ethics so might leave out conscience instead :smile:
Original post by BrunoRussell
There better be two questions from the following: Virtue theory, meta-ethics, free will and determinsm and conscience. They're just better be, I don't want to be doing any applying rubbish in that exam!!! Aint gunna happen #pray

There are always at least 2 application questions :smile:
Omg, that is beauts, you have saved my life! THANK YOU!

How's revision going for you?

No problem haha! Free will is my favourite topic so I'm praying for it! Revisions going okay, I've revised sexual ethics, meta ethics and conscience so far but I feel like nothing's going in :frown: still need to do virtue as well, and there's no way I'm going anywhere near business or environment. How's it going for you?
Exactly, which I would have died if I sat that paper! Really? Meta Ethics isn't a lot. I would say Business/Enviro and Conscience has the most content to remember!

No, I don't think they can because it isn't a big topic. I think it will be OK to leave out Meta-Ethics if you want to. But they could fit that in with Free-Will/Det and Conscience if they wanted it. It's anyone's game to be honest.

But missing out one topic isn't gonna hurt to be honest!

Also, for meta ethics, do I have to know every single scholars views? For example, for intuitionism I have 3 different scholars in my notes. Do you think I need to know them all?
Original post by lizziec1996
Is it worth missing out one topic? Can they ask more than one question on the same topic

Yes ! and think it is the last paper for this spec so they are likely to be e.v.i.l
Where does Kant lie in terms of Free Will and Determinism? The Ethics Textbook (Olliphant) says he's a soft determinist, but the Philosophical Investigations website places him as a libertarian :¬(
Original post by auden1996
No problem haha! Free will is my favourite topic so I'm praying for it! Revisions going okay, I've revised sexual ethics, meta ethics and conscience so far but I feel like nothing's going in :frown: still need to do virtue as well, and there's no way I'm going anywhere near business or environment. How's it going for you?

I prefer Conscience, I think it's quite alright to revise. I do like Free Will actually and I am hoping these two topics come up, it'd be so amazing if they came up! I'm gonna revise Virtue Ethics and Meta-Ethics. Staying well clear of business/enviro and sexual ethics can't be bothered with those!

Today is going a bit slow. Only revised Hard Determinism today, need to finish the rest of the topic and start Virtue Ethics today so gonna be looong night! :'( Have you got anymore exams?
Original post by lizziec1996
Also, for meta ethics, do I have to know every single scholars views? For example, for intuitionism I have 3 different scholars in my notes. Do you think I need to know them all?

See, I don't think it's necessary to know all of them. Name-dropping in essays isn't really all that to be fair. All I have is:

Ethical Naturalism: Bradley
Intuitionism: GE Moore
Emotivism: Ayer
Prescriptivism: RM Hare

That's all I would say you need really. They are the main philosophers and ethicists that you need
Guys, I've revised conscience, meta-ethics, free will and determinism, and virtue ethics so far. If I revise sexual ethics, do you think I'll be okay for the exam?
Or do you think that I should do environmental ethics too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
See, I don't think it's necessary to know all of them. Name-dropping in essays isn't really all that to be fair. All I have is:

Ethical Naturalism: Bradley
Intuitionism: GE Moore
Emotivism: Ayer
Prescriptivism: RM Hare

That's all I would say you need really. They are the main philosophers and ethicists that you need

Original post by Bookgal
Guys, I've revised conscience, meta-ethics, free will and determinism, and virtue ethics so far. If I revise sexual ethics, do you think I'll be okay for the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nahh you should be fine!! I would concentrate on concreting the knowledge into your head that you do know- not revising two topics is fine!! I would just do sexual ethics as business and environmental came up last year- so sex is the most likely to come up- but obviously we can never know for definite!! That's just what i'm doing :smile:
Original post by Bookgal

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you revise sexual ethics, you should be okay. That's what I'm doing, I'm not touching business or environment, urgh :mad:
I prefer Conscience, I think it's quite alright to revise. I do like Free Will actually and I am hoping these two topics come up, it'd be so amazing if they came up! I'm gonna revise Virtue Ethics and Meta-Ethics. Staying well clear of business/enviro and sexual ethics can't be bothered with those!

Today is going a bit slow. Only revised Hard Determinism today, need to finish the rest of the topic and start Virtue Ethics today so gonna be looong night! :'( Have you got anymore exams?

I've had an off day too, it's taking me ages to do virtue ethics, I keep getting distracted and I still need to do moden virtue ethics which I hate haha. This is my last exam thank god, can't wait to be finished! How about you? Also did you do the philsophy exam, and if you did how did you find it?
Original post by Bookgal

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you revise 5/6 topics you will be absolutely fine. In the amount of time that we have, I honestly wouldn't even consider trying to fit in another topic with just about over 33 hours left.. I don't see the point.

Worst case scenario is that they put Business and Enviro as separate questions. However, that still fine as you have revised 5 topics so the 2 will be out of those 5 topics. You will be fine!
I've had an off day too, it's taking me ages to do virtue ethics, I keep getting distracted and I still need to do moden virtue ethics which I hate haha. This is my last exam thank god, can't wait to be finished! How about you? Also did you do the philsophy exam, and if you did how did you find it?

Yeah I keep getting distracted and someone's coming to the house which means there's going to be more distraction which I really don't need!
I HATE virtuous ethics too, but I said I'd revise that over Sexual ethics as it's less to learn.

Omg, I know woo! Thursday at 10:30am, I shall be so thankful to have a life and catch up on my reading and TV shows I've missed from this past 2 months!

Philosophy exam = FAIL. Only 1/3 topics came up that I revised so I completely failed one question whilst I think I managed to scrap a D/C at the other question. So defo got basically an E. However hopefully i get credit for the crap answer I gave :frown: Basically have to full marks on Ethics to get into uni... How did you find it?
Yeah I keep getting distracted and someone's coming to the house which means there's going to be more distraction which I really don't need!
I HATE virtuous ethics too, but I said I'd revise that over Sexual ethics as it's less to learn.

Omg, I know woo! Thursday at 10:30am, I shall be so thankful to have a life and catch up on my reading and TV shows I've missed from this past 2 months!

Philosophy exam = FAIL. Only 1/3 topics came up that I revised so I completely failed one question whilst I think I managed to scrap a D/C at the other question. So defo got basically an E. However hopefully i get credit for the crap answer I gave :frown: Basically have to full marks on Ethics to get into uni... How did you find it?

Yeah virtue ethics is the worst. I spent 3 days trying to learn sexual ethics and I can't remember any of it so I know feel like I've wasted my time :frown:

Philosophy was a nightmare! I was in shock for about 10 minutes, and we weren't taught miracles in class so I had to do numinous and life after death. Not sure how I've done, but I could have done a lot better and need an A for uni so I'm basically stuffed haha. I need to do well in ethics too! So I'm therefore praying for nice questions to make up for it
Original post by hmxo
ahhh thank you! :biggrin:

THough I just came across a section in a mark scheme that said that despite believing moral statements only express emotions, Ayer still asserted that they may still have meaning :s-smilie:

But that is ok, you can still say how othes see that view as meaningless e.g. logical positivists --> fails verification principle.

We can do this :redface:
Seems like examiners know our question spotting tendencies. Despite this, any last minute educated guesses? Ha! I feel like a Hume wannabe for saying that.
Yeah virtue ethics is the worst. I spent 3 days trying to learn sexual ethics and I can't remember any of it so I know feel like I've wasted my time :frown:

Philosophy was a nightmare! I was in shock for about 10 minutes, and we weren't taught miracles in class so I had to do numinous and life after death. Not sure how I've done, but I could have done a lot better and need an A for uni so I'm basically stuffed haha. I need to do well in ethics too! So I'm therefore praying for nice questions to make up for it

Yeah, I HATE when that happens! Happened to be in Philo, just couldn't remember certain things :frown: What degree have you applied for?

OMG, MET OO! I actually literally, was so distraught, I had to read question OVER and OVER again to figure out which ones to go for, it was horrendous experience. Oh I did BOTH those questions! I revised life after death but never revised numinous.. I did revise Revelations and Mystical Experiences.... To this day I don't even know what it means. That was the question I failed big time! Oh god, an A? I need a C in this subject.. I'm praying that nice ones come up, but considering I prayed for Philo and that f**ked me over left, right and centre, fat lot praying's gonna do me!
Absolutely hoping and praying for virtue ethics and free will and determinism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending