The Student Room Group

OCR RS Philosophy and Ethics A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CuriousQuestioner
I have done one for Freud and conscience but I generally do not like planning in advance because then if I forget that plan it will throw me off. My previous technique has been 'JUST WRITE NOW GO' but I will do a few more I suppose - thanks :biggrin:

Whatever works for you haha!:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bookgal
OCR says that you shouldn't try to mention every scholar you know, you should focus the scholars to the question. Otherwise if you mention all the scholars you know you're talking about everything in the topic and OCR really does not like that apparently. You just have to choose your scholars carefully, to see which one answers the question best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly what another teacher in my school told me. I suppose everyone has a different approach. We have about 14 scholars for conscience... Where can I get the syllabus from?
Original post by RoosterTeeth
This is exactly what another teacher in my school told me. I suppose everyone has a different approach. We have about 14 scholars for conscience... Where can I get the syllabus from?

I mean if you can talk about all the scholars in one essay in 45 minutes go ahead *I would do that too if I could haha* but OCR are really looking for argument and evaluation *yawn.* I think the syllabus might be on the OCR website? I'm not 100% sure, I got mine from my teacher..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NickGreen
Ok so the first Modern virtue Ethics theorist is MacIntyre. He believed that ethicist lived in "ivory towers" debating the meaning of good and bad while they should be concerned with real ethical issues. He stated that modern ethics put to much emphasis on reason and not enough stress on people, their characters and the contexts of their lives. For MacIntyre virtues are not fixed for all time, they change over time according to culture and context so different qualities of character will be valued at different times. The 3 most important virtues for MacIntyre are justice, courage and honesty, these are core virtues which prevent organizations and institutions from becoming morally corrupt. It is mainly through institutions that traditions, cultures and morality spreads: if these institutions are corrupt, the vices become widespread.

Nussbaum stated that Virtue Ethics was an absolute theory, she claimed that justice, temperance ect are essential elements of human flourishing across societies. She believed an relative approach is incompatible with Aristotle's theory.

Hursthouse tackled the criticism that virtue ethics does not provide moral guidance in dilemmas. She says although it does not explain how a person should respond it does explain how a virtuous person would think about a moral dilemma.

Foot states also counted a modern criticism of virtue ethics which is that virtues may be used to a bad end e.g. an end which is not Eudaimonia. Foot replied that a virtue is only virtuous if used to the right end e.g. Loyalty -a virtue is only virtuous if use to the right end e.g. loyalty to Jesus in comparison to Loyalty to Hitler.

unfortunately that they are the only modern philosopher I have covered, I am probaly going to have a look what Anscombe said later on and go over popular criticism later as well.

That's great!! Thank you!!! :colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 1384
Original post by appleduck
Just lay on my floor crying for 30 minutes. I feel like I'm going to fail this exam no matter how hard I try now :frown:

I feel exactly the same as you. Considering philosophy went crap for me.. I wanted to put my blood and sweat into this exam - go crazy with revision. But it's like i'm going downhill. I keep wasting time. Still have loads of **** to cover. I've only covered 2 and half topics.. Ahh
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bookgal
I mean if you can talk about all the scholars in one essay in 45 minutes go ahead *I would do that too if I could haha* but OCR are really looking for argument and evaluation *yawn.* I think the syllabus might be on the OCR website? I'm not 100% sure, I got mine from my teacher..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll be able to cover all 14 in detail. I'd rather write a lot for the ones on syllabus.
Original post by Naf13
LOOOL great pun :wink:. Yeah I may consider going over meta if i'm done with the others. Not sure :/

How's revision going for you? Covered everything?

Haha, I know... My A-level English skills at work there, obvs!

Oh, I've just started. Finished Ethical Naturalism (on my coffee/TSR break)

I haven't covered everything as that was the intention. I've still got about 2 hours left to finish Meta-Ethics then I shall spend the last 3 hours going over my covered topics: Meta-Ethics, Virtue Ethics, Conscience and Free Will Determinism

How about you? You feeling alright about getting everything done?
You can talk about Aristotle - he's got a lot of swag you can talk about, you can also evaluate him quite well.

Here's a summary of Aristotle.

- Goal of Eudaimonia, life long pursuit, basically means human happiness, flourishing ect. Aristotle claimed following the life od contemplation and theoretical wisdom is the greatest of human virtues and the highest form of happiness. Remember than Aristotle was sexist and only believed than Men could be virtuous though. Eudaimonia is the highest good, the best and happiest life according to Aristotle is living in a community respecting the interests of those around you and your own interests.

- Being part of a virtuous community. Aristotle concern was primarily the well being of the polis, the community which embraces all other communities; the state that is concerned with the common good. Virtue Ethics was mainly intended to privide a community in which citizens live meaningful social and political lives.

- The Golden mean, the mean point between the 2 vices. For Aristotle, virtues were found in the Golden Mean: the right balance between 2 extremes, each extreme was called a vice. The virtuous mean is not a mid point but a judgement point that depends on the situation. e.g the courage for a soldier is different to the courage needed to remove a spider from the bath. Aristotle claimed we needed to use reasoning, which he said was the quality which sets humans apart from animals. Human choices are based on phronesis (the practical reason which is used to make the right ethical decision)

- Developing virtues through habit (arete). Virtues need to be practiced until they become habit. Virutes of Aristotle are aretes, a skill in which one become excellence through practice.

- Following the examples of virtuous people. Aristotle also stated that we can become virtuous by following virtuous people, e.g. Gandhi and Ned Stark.

If you want me to sum up Modern V Ethics just say.

Oh wow, I missed out so many key things in my notes like arete The Golden Mean and etc, thanks a lot!

And I think I'm alright with the modernity but if there was a question, i think it would be an application question
I really dislike how the 2 sections I know best probably won't come up :frown:

Well remember when a little birdy told all of us that symbols won't come up this year as it came up last year in Philosophy.... WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL IT DID!

So you never know, the heavens might be kind... Hopefully OCR will be kinder though :redface:
Original post by Cool_JordH
Haha, I know... My A-level English skills at work there, obvs!

Oh, I've just started. Finished Ethical Naturalism (on my coffee/TSR break)

I haven't covered everything as that was the intention. I've still got about 2 hours left to finish Meta-Ethics then I shall spend the last 3 hours going over my covered topics: Meta-Ethics, Virtue Ethics, Conscience and Free Will Determinism

How about you? You feeling alright about getting everything done?

I've revised the exact same things as you- do you think we'll be okay having not touched any of the applied ethics...? :/ :/
How important is spelling and grammar, I'm dyslexic and am poor in both, I've realized that half the names I'm spelling are seriously wrong, what's the max amount of marks I can lose from spelling and grammar?

If you are dyslexic, shouldn't you have extra time or is it not that bad? However, examiners would know that your dyslexic anyway as it should be in your school file so it's fine anyway :smile:

You only get marked on your spelling and grammar by about 1-2 marks per Band so that's like 5 marks in total you could lose.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. I've looked at some many mark schemes, i can't tell which way is up and which way is right... wait...?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Original post by ani1095
hey does anyone know how they would structure a question linking sexual ethics with free will and determinism? I am so confused about how they are related:frown:

Who knows but could be something like "Evaluate the claim that homosexuality is part of free will"?? I DUNNO I haven't revised Sexual Ethics but it would be something to do with that... I dunno... stupid answer I know but meh :tongue:
Original post by appleduck
Just lay on my floor crying for 30 minutes. I feel like I'm going to fail this exam no matter how hard I try now :frown:

OMG, we have all been there! Don't let the stress get to you! Get some fresh air?? New oxygen helps the flow of blood to the brain which makes you think clearer and calmer!! If you can't be bothered to go outside (like me) stick your head out of a window :P

Just keep on going... I presume this is your last exam now?

We all feel tired, but just think of the thought of having NOTHING to do after the exams... no more philosophy, no more ethics NO MORE PREDICTIONS! oh it sounds wonderFUL!

Take small, frequent breaks!
Original post by Tatty101
I've revised the exact same things as you- do you think we'll be okay having not touched any of the applied ethics...? :/ :/

What's applied ethics LOOL?! Like Sex, Business and Environment?
You can talk about Aristotle - he's got a lot of swag you can talk about, you can also evaluate him quite well.

Here's a summary of Aristotle.

- Goal of Eudaimonia, life long pursuit, basically means human happiness, flourishing ect. Aristotle claimed following the life od contemplation and theoretical wisdom is the greatest of human virtues and the highest form of happiness. Remember than Aristotle was sexist and only believed than Men could be virtuous though. Eudaimonia is the highest good, the best and happiest life according to Aristotle is living in a community respecting the interests of those around you and your own interests.

- Being part of a virtuous community. Aristotle concern was primarily the well being of the polis, the community which embraces all other communities; the state that is concerned with the common good. Virtue Ethics was mainly intended to privide a community in which citizens live meaningful social and political lives.

- The Golden mean, the mean point between the 2 vices. For Aristotle, virtues were found in the Golden Mean: the right balance between 2 extremes, each extreme was called a vice. The virtuous mean is not a mid point but a judgement point that depends on the situation. e.g the courage for a soldier is different to the courage needed to remove a spider from the bath. Aristotle claimed we needed to use reasoning, which he said was the quality which sets humans apart from animals. Human choices are based on phronesis (the practical reason which is used to make the right ethical decision)

- Developing virtues through habit (arete). Virtues need to be practiced until they become habit. Virutes of Aristotle are aretes, a skill in which one become excellence through practice.

- Following the examples of virtuous people. Aristotle also stated that we can become virtuous by following virtuous people, e.g. Gandhi and Ned Stark.

If you want me to sum up Modern V Ethics just say.

Could you sum up modern virtue ethics please :smile:
Can someone explain Fromm to me please?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NerdFighteria
Can someone explain Froom to me please?

Froom? It would help if you could spell his name right to start off with, love!

(It's spelled Fromm btw) :P

FROMM: believed that we had2 consciences: Authoritarian and Humanitarian.

Authoritarian: conscience is the voice of an external authority eg parents. "the internalised voice of an externalised authority". The guilty conscience is caused by displeasing authority and the rejection this causes. Authoritarian can be good or bad.
The good version which is good authority provides secuirty and good moral foundations.
The bad version leads us to commit immoral actions as we believe them to be good or feel we can't disobey authority. (Hitler would be the authority for the soldiers during the Holocaust).

Humanitarian: a reliable moral guide in assessing our moderate behaviour by developing our integrity and honesty to become moral people.
This conscience calls us back to humanity from the "real conscience" and this conscience guides us to achieve potential.

STRENGTHS:
Practical in application: the Milgram experiment shows us that some people can break away from authoritarian conscience as we should do as humans to return to the humanitarian conscience.

WEAKNESS:
Authoritarian and Humanitarian conscience can be the the same as it brings up the question by what is the difference between being called (by Humanitarian) and being controlled (by Authoritarian) conscience?
Anybody else skipping business and environmental ethics? I had an exam Tuesday and today and now ethics tomorrow and just dont have the time to cover it all and really cba anymore
Original post by Naf13
I feel exactly the same as you. Considering philosophy went crap for me.. I wanted to put my blood and sweat into this exam - go crazy with revision. But it's like i'm going downhill. I keep wasting time. Still have loads of **** to cover. I've only covered 2 and half topics.. Ahh

Ahh I know the feeling!
I've just given up now
Original post by TinasheM96
Anybody else skipping business and environmental ethics? I had an exam Tuesday and today and now ethics tomorrow and just dont have the time to cover it all and really cba anymore

I'm doing this! And so are a lot of people here. You'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending