The Student Room Group

Which Uni is better for Chemical Engineering?

Hi there, just wanted to get everyone's opinion on which of the 3 Uni's that I am gonna mention here are the best (like all rounder: academically, socially etc..)
- Newcastle Uni
- Nottingham Uni
- Aston Uni

Looking at 'The Guardian' and 'The Complete University' the rankings show that Newcastle is better; however, doesn't Nottingham seem like the better uni out of the three?
Also do you think that the institute you studied at would affect your employability? Given that a typical candidate received a 2:1 and excelled in the interview, wouldnt the employer select the candidate who has been to the highest ranked uni ?
Finally do you think chem eng salary is better in the UK or would it be better if you worked abroad?
Would really love to hear what you think ?
(edited 9 years ago)
It doesn't matter about any one else's opinion on the Uni. Choose the one you like the best and feel most comfortable at when you go and visit.

But in my opinion, Newcastle > Nottingham > Aston.

If you get a 2:1 in Chem Eng you can walk straight into a job in many different fields, not just chemical engineering. Uni and rank really won't matter as long as the course is accredited by the iChemE - most UK courses should be.

Institute you study at will only affect your employability with local businesses. More likely to get year in industry, summer placement, etc with companies near the uni, that interact with the uni.

Salary is better in other countries. USA, Australia, Middle East, Germany you will make a much higher salary. But you will then have other factors like higher cost of living, paid medical expenses, lack of language skills, etc.
Reply 2
Your employability will not differ based on going to Nottingham or Newcastle, they are the same standard. It probably won't differ much at Aston either but the other 2 universities are more likely to mould you into a better student imo which will make you more employable, not just the name on a piece of paper I'd you know what I mean. In any case all these unis have professional accreditation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest