The Student Room Group

my yr 9 son's homework question has me flummoxed

Scroll to see replies

What a moronic question, call me old-fashioned but in my day maths questions had numbers in them...

Are you meant to measure the picture or what?
Original post by Raizor
Howd'ya figure that?

This should be interesting dumb.

its easy 3 loafs of bread + 3 ratios = 6 *2 because small is too lots of large = 12 then -8 because there is 8 letters in simplest which gets you to 4

and sqroot answer and you get 2
Reply 22
Original post by studentwiz
its easy 3 loafs of bread + 3 ratios = 6 *2 because small is too lots of large = 12 then -8 because there is 8 letters in simplest which gets you to 4

and sqroot answer and you get 2

Just like I predicted.
Reply 23
Is that really the whole question? If so then measure the difference across the bottom of the loaves, assign a linear scale factor and make the assumption that they are similar shapes (so in ratio k:k^3).

This is a dumb question though that's poorly laid out.
Reply 24
Did my brain just die?
1:1:1
Original post by Greatthinker
1:1:1

3 breads, different sizes. A,b,c. Simple stuff but can trick you
Original post by Raizor
Then you'd be wrong.

You can only put things into ratios when you're given their quantity.

I doubt a 9 year old would be bothered about technicalities. The aim of the exercise (however was for the child to guesstimate the size of the loaves and demonstrate that they could form sensible ratios
Original post by demhka
Did my brain just die?

Led by example, I suspect.
Reply 29
I would write down
1:42
root(2) : root(3)
and
sin x : e^x

and say "disprove that, teacher!"
large:small
=arge:smal
=rge:sml

medium:large
=mdium:larg
=m^2diu:larg

small:medium
=sall:edium
Reply 32
Wow guys lots of posts. I, m inclined to think that the question is missing a part that is needed to make it a simple level question as these are at the begining of the section on ratio. Going from the questions that preceeded this one it should have been a easy question even for a year 9 student so unless we are all dense....the question is undoable in the standard of math knowledge that would be expected of the class.

Just fyi my son just told me all his friends could not get an answer and one of them is the best at maths in his year so I think this endorses my thinking that the question is missing a part.

Anyhow thanks for all the input its appreciated....
Original post by silverpuma
Wow guys lots of posts. I, m inclined to think that the question is missing a part that is needed to make it a simple level question as these are at the begining of the section on ratio. Going from the questions that preceeded this one it should have been a easy question even for a year 9 student so unless we are all dense....the question is undoable in the standard of math knowledge that would be expected of the class.

Just fyi my son just told me all his friends could not get an answer and one of them is the best at maths in his year so I think this endorses my thinking that the question is missing a part.

Anyhow thanks for all the input its appreciated....

Please tell us the answer when your son gets his homework back!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Edminzodo
Please tell us the answer when your son gets his homework back!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do.....
Reply 35
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I just thought it was

1:2:3

Stumped by a year 9 q :emo:

The ratio of 1:2:3 is correct as it it the ratio of small:medium:large all you had to do was put them in the ratios asked

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't how much bigger one bread loaf is to another ? how can you answer this
Just assume that

i=0i=112\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} i = - \dfrac{1}{12}

and the problem should be trivial from there.

:colone:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arithmeticae

Don't forget to apply the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality in your working!
Reply 39
I'm pretty sure you would need numerical values for the length/volume/height.

Either that or I'm being completely stupid.
Please post the answer up when your son gets his homework back...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest