The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol, really stupid thread (and arguments).

I can't even be bothered to counter it as someone else will. Going to bed now.

Original post by Gillybop
I wouldnt be be concerning yourself mate, I've a funny feeling that won't happen.

Enough man, I'm not that interested in politics, or Economics, but I do want to learn, and that's the main thing. So instead of killing me, just take your time to teach me.

Original post by Asciant
Why the hell would football clubs pay players if the money was going to go to charity? If this was implemented no money would go to charity, instead all football players would be paid less. It is the most ridiculous thing ever. If this was applied to business etc. there would be a mass exodus of anyone with any money at all. Basically, OP, this would not work at all in the slightest ever, unless you closed the borders.

Why can't every person in the world who is working, provide a portion of their money to charity? Why can't it be a law rather than a choice? Like tax in the UK for example?
Original post by AnharM
x

If these players are being paid that much, then they're also having a huge amount taken off them in tax, no? What's that tax money doing? Going into the Government pot. They'll pay in far more than any of the rest of us. They then are doing their bit.

And that's before we talk about the huge amount they do do for charity. Most have their own foundations, their own causes, each club has numerous local charities they support. Lots of players have set up their own charities, work with UNICEF, have set up international charities, do work all over the world and know that their public appeal means that they can do more good for a charity by raising it's profile to the public than merely giving money out.

The argument is nothing but naivety and ignorance. Of the relatively small proportion of footballers who get well paid, the vast majority do huge amounts for charity.
Reply 22
Original post by little_tom
Football is a business, not a charity. They might not deserve the money they get but this is how globalization operates. Your argument is more concerned with how we should redistribute wealth in society, not "why are football players paid so much?" which is an entirely different discussion

That's how the question popped up..so yeah, maybe the title should be ''Why isn't providing money to the poor a law, rather than a choice?''
Original post by AnharM
That's how the question popped up..so yeah, maybe the title should be ''Why isn't providing money to the poor a law, rather than a choice?''

But it already is.

You buy things - you pay tax.
You earn money - you pay tax.

Tax is used as welfare, but nationally and internationally.
Reply 24
Wait, aren't you the guy that said billionaires are good for football?
Original post by Entangled
Why can't they just print more money so everyone can have more money?

Hello Mr Mugabe.
Reply 26
Original post by AnharM
Private sector or not, shouldn't every person help towards the poor? Giving money to the poor should be a duty, like tax, rather than a choice.

Take into account that I don't read newspapers a lot, I'm not interested in politics, and I don't have much knowledge of how the economy works, but I obviously know how the supply and demand works. Just take me through slowly and teach me, instead of killing me. Thanks.

We're not built on communist principles. Good or bad, we're built on liberal politics. If you go through Western political philosophy, you get Hobbes and Bentham. The point of the state is to provide the bare minimum to protect people from perpetual state of barbarity. Apart from that, the state is supposed to butt out of people's lives and not tell them what to do.

This is the foundation of our beliefs. No-one in liberal democracy believes in enforced "charity". If you don't like it, move to North Korea where you get told what to do and get shot if you try and leave.
Reply 27
Original post by Drewski
But it already is.

You buy things - you pay tax.
You earn money - you pay tax.

Tax is used as welfare, but nationally and internationally.

The UK tax is used for Pensions and benefits, NHS, Education, Police, Defence, Prisons etc...but why are there still poor people in Brazil, India, Bangladesh etc? Is it because in these countries, they don't need to provide tax? If not, why not? Why isn't every country imposing this? It still doesn't explain why a small percentage of the human population are super rich, whereas like 3/4 of the world is poor. Do we provide enough?
Original post by AnharM

The fourth point, that's the only one I understand. Isn't there a way of checking how much money is given to the CEO of charities? Surely there must be. They also SHOULD do their part in helping the poor.

They do do their bit in helping people, they're the CEO of a charity.
Reply 29
Original post by 419
Wait, aren't you the guy that said billionaires are good for football?

Hahaha yeah, don't kill me man, I'm in the process of learning a lot about how the world works.
Original post by KongShou
You lot are so naive...

Print more money. Haha

You're what sorry? Lololol, how about we print more money and more money, and then basically everyone will have hundreds of thousands, and eventually, money will be worth absolutely nothingXD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnharM
The UK tax is used for Pensions and benefits, NHS, Education, Police, Defence, Prisons etc...but why are there still poor people in Brazil, India, Bangladesh etc? Is it because in these countries, they don't need to provide tax? If not, why not? Why isn't every country imposing this? It still doesn't explain why a small percentage of the human population are super rich, whereas like 3/4 of the world is poor. Do we provide enough?

We provide benefits to our own people - ie, the people who pay into the pot and are in our area of responsibility - and we provide billions in foreign aid to all those countries listed.
There are still poor because because life isn't fair. And nowhere is it written that it should be.

Frankly, you're being exceptionally dim, and since you state that you're going to university to study branches of mathematics or economics, I can only summise you're a total arse and WUM.
Original post by Jakebarker1605
You're what sorry? Lololol, how about we print more money and more money, and then basically everyone will have hundreds of thousands, and eventually, money will be worth absolutely nothingXD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lul

I was responding to the second post which suggest it. My response was haha.
Original post by AnharM
Private sector or not, shouldn't every person help towards the poor? Giving money to the poor should be a duty, like tax, rather than a choice.

One big reason people aren't in high paying jobs because they simply didn't try hard enough at school/college, or they didn't like the sound of the effort. Why should people who worked hard in life to be punished by giving their money to people who shyed away from the effort? That's what benefits are for. At the end of the day, the economy isn't something you can bluff, you get what you deserve out of life. Nobody has it easy, not even football, they have had to work hard their whole life, the physical demands on their body, the sacrifices, the food they have to put in their body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lul

Oooo I apologise Hahahaha, no I get it now sorry haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
lul

I was going back to quote him and thought it was you by mistake😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Drewski
We provide benefits to our own people - ie, the people who pay into the pot and are in our area of responsibility - and we provide billions in foreign aid to all those countries listed.
There are still poor because because life isn't fair. And nowhere is it written that it should be.

Frankly, you're being exceptionally dim, and since you state that you're going to university to study branches of mathematics or economics, I can only summise you're a total arse and WUM.

Frankly, I don't like this way of thinking. For all we know, you could have been brought up in somewhere like Bangladesh, your parents could have been poor, which would have led to you struggling to survive. According to UNICEF, 22,000 people die each day due to poverty. You could have been one of them. They must be thinking ''why don't they care about us? Why aren't they helping us? I just want to survive.'' So why aren't we providing more? Yes, I know I'm naive for thinking like this, but surely we can close the gap between the rich and the poor?

And I'm actually not a WUM, I'm actually learning. I know very little about Economics, but I want to learn, which is the main thing. That's why students don't have to take A-Level Economics to study a degree in Economics in universities such as Bristol. Again, there's no need to be ****ing rude, you prick.
Original post by Kwekule
Hello Mr Mugabe.

Hey don't knock old man Mugabe, it's thanks to him I'm a genuine trillionairre. I got trillions sitting in my desk drawer right now.
Reply 38
Original post by Jakebarker1605
One big reason people aren't in high paying jobs because they simply didn't try hard enough at school/college, or they didn't like the sound of the effort. Why should people who worked hard in life to be punished by giving their money to people who shyed away from the effort? That's what benefits are for. At the end of the day, the economy isn't something you can bluff, you get what you deserve out of life. Nobody has it easy, not even football, they have had to work hard their whole life, the physical demands on their body, the sacrifices, the food they have to put in their body.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But by making people provide charity a law, like tax for example, the person will still be rich, in comparison to everyone else, because the ''not so rich'' have to provide charity as well. So it will still balance out, and provide enough money to the poor so that they can survive, which is the main thing.

Again, that could mess up a lot of other things, such as for the demand of expensive products being cut down. But, like I said before, survival of human beings should always be the main priority. That's my opinion anyways.
Original post by AnharM
Frankly, I don't like this way of thinking. For all we know, you could have been brought up in somewhere like Bangladesh, your parents could have been poor, which would have led to you struggling to survive. According to UNICEF, 22,000 people die each day due to poverty. You could have been one of them. They must be thinking ''why don't they care about us? Why aren't they helping us? I just want to survive.'' So why aren't we providing more? Yes, I know I'm naive for thinking like this, but surely we can close the gap between the rich and the poor?

No, you can't. The gap only widens, such is the nature of capitalism. People will capitalise on the opportunities available to them providing they're willing to work for it. Doesn't matter whether or not you like the way of thinking - can't say I particularly like it - but it's how the world works and that's the end to the story. You're never going to stop that because the people who are wealthy will never wish to lose their privileged position that they (normally) have worked for.
As for why aren'te we providing more, we provide plenty. We provide billions whether through foreign aid via taxes or through charities, but more often than not they are corrupted in the countries they're given to. The very people we try to help are the ones who screw the system up and that's human nature. Survival of the fittest.

And I'm actually not a WUM, I'm actually learning. I know very little about Economics, but I want to learn, which is the main thing. That's why students don't have to take A-Level Economics to study a degree in Economics in universities such as Bristol.

Frankly, you're going to struggle. This is exceptionally basic/common sense stuff.

Latest