The Student Room Group

Are A-Levels hard or just a lot of work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Overall, A level's are hard. However, it depends on the exam and how you're feeling on the day really. For example for someone who does Biology, if you can't answer a 6 mark question and about 2 four markers you can say goodbye to your A. In GCSE you can bull**** but not in A levels I'm afraid. It depends on what comes up on the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by x__justmyluck
Who said I didn't learn half the course, revision guides and past papers. Yep it happened, deal with it.

You just said you done no work outside of class? So you lied about that then
Original post by Joe785
You just said you done no work outside of class? So you lied about that then

No I said outside of college, ever heard of a free period?
Neither. I got A*A*A (a*aaa) in bio, chem and maths (EPQ, psychology, further maths and critical thinking) with attendance around 50% and doing no work outside college in my A2 year.

I would have done better had I not been really ill during my pregnancy and had a baby in the first week of yr 13.

omgg how did u mamage to acheieve such high grades
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
A lot of work, I started revising well too late and i've messed up on atleast 2/6 exams I've done; #resits :frown:

same haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither. I got A*A*A (a*aaa) in bio, chem and maths (EPQ, psychology, further maths and critical thinking) with attendance around 50% and doing no work outside college in my A2 year.

I would have done better had I not been really ill during my pregnancy and had a baby in the first week of yr 13.

At first I thought you were joking but I looked at your profile and you're not. :eek: You must be beyond intelligent aha! congrats, how are you finding Oxford?
Cramming.

And you got lucky I presume?
A levels aren't easy, but getting an A isn't spectacularly hard if you put the time and effort in. That doesn't mean spending 8 hours a day panic revising in the last two weeks leading up to the exam, it means working hard all year round. Also, pick the right subjects for you. I'm sure I'd land on my face if I took up a physics A level, and I'm sure some that take physics would do the same if they were tasked with Literature.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Levingne
At first I thought you were joking but I looked at your profile and you're not. :eek: You must be beyond intelligent aha! congrats, how are you finding Oxford?

What exactly validates her profile? She could have easily just made it up...
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
And you got lucky I presume?

Nope I did well because I knew what I needed to know (ok C4 was a bit dodgy, I didn't do enough for that). I didn't have a lot of time but I know the best ways for me to revise and it was effective.
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
What exactly validates her profile? She could have easily just made it up...

You may be sad enough to make something like up but I actually have a life and better things to do.
Nope I did well because I knew what I needed to know (ok C4 was a bit dodgy, I didn't do enough for that). I didn't have a lot of time but I know the best ways for me to revise and it was effective.

It sounds very suspicious, especially because you crammed, with a baby and very little guidance from teachers. You might as well just post a picture, since you are already responding to most of the responses anyway.
You may be sad enough to make something like up but I actually have a life and better things to do.

And what exactly makes you think that? As far as I am aware, I do not flaunt my grades about, expecting huge compliments... For an Oxford student, who is supposed to be getting heaps of work, especially at this time of year, you really do reply very fast don't you? Pretty certain you have "better things to do". That is, if you are actually at Oxford.
(edited 9 years ago)
A level Chemistry = Hard and a lot of work :colone:
Neither
Reply 35
I do those three subjects, alongside physics, and there really isn't an issue about understanding the content. I just hate the work load, especially for biology. My college tutors seem to neglect the idea that I have 3 other subjects to do and pile about 3 pieces of homework a week on me. I also have to write notes, start this early by the way, and they're quite time consuming.
Both/one or the other/neither- I think it depends on your aptitude for your subjects, your enjoyment of them and how effectively you manage your time
(edited 9 years ago)
Content? No. Workload? Pretty damn stressful. Key to doing well? I'd say it's picking subjects that you are genuinely passionate about.
Is it hard to get an A in psychology and sociology guys? At As and A2 level?
Original post by Troytheboy
Is it hard to get an A in psychology and sociology guys? At As and A2 level?

Sociology (AS) No, its not hard. Stay focused and revise hard and its possible.
Sociology (A2) A LOT harder. They dont warn you about how much harder A2 is compared to AS. But that being said the inequality unit is easier than power and control unit.

Psychology (AS) Hmm, yes and no. You can know everything about each study but not use a good technique and fail quite easily. Also the exam boards can be just plain mean and throw nasty questions in there.

Psychology (A2) I believe with a lot of work it can be done but its complex and stressful. However A2 is more fun than AS and its easier to pick up marks because you can write about more.

Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest