The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Neutral_Tones
Can I ask: where do the 2nd years live if they elect to live outside college in an undergraduate hostel? I've checked the website but can't find much about it! Thanks in advance! :biggrin:.

Well there's the usual shared hostels out of College, plus there's a little 2-floored "house" between magdelene and johns along Bridge St. known as the warehouse. It's basically a shared house - pretty small place but decent rooms - and ideal if you get a bunch of mates together (fits 14 afaik). Personally after a year in Cripps you really won't want to move to anywhere but New Court! Hope that helps.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Thanks! :smile: Whereabouts are the hostels?
Reply 382
Neutral_Tones
Thanks! :smile: Whereabouts are the hostels?

About 5 mins walk from Johns, in St. Johns Road. I would agree with the above though, i wouldnt possibly want to go into a hostel unless i was getting the whole thing with a group of friends. From what i've seen, new court rooms are considerably nicer. That said, it all depends on the ballot...
Thanks very much!!! :smile:
Okay, this is not one of these 'which college is best?' threads, but I am still wavering between Clare and St Johns :biggrin:. However, I stayed over at Clare and only had a glance at Johns, so I wonder if anyone who's there could answer me a few questions.

1. What kind of arts/ science balance is there? I was attracted to Clare because it was fairly equal, but for some reason I have the impression that it isn't at Johns :confused:

2. Male/female ratio? Again, it's even at Clare, but 60% male at Johns. Does it have any affect on student life?

3. Why do you think Johns has such a bad press? Honestly, because when I went round, it did seem to attract a cetain type of person, if that makes any sense.

Thanks in advance for any help, I know a lot of these questions are pretty stupid, but anything else you could offer would be great.
Time to liven up the forum a bit, me thinks...I'm applying for entry next year to study VetMed, and have just finished the SAQ...where do you send it? I've got a list of addmisson tutors, but no actual address...any help please?
Emma the Hippy
Time to liven up the forum a bit, me thinks...I'm applying for entry next year to study VetMed, and have just finished the SAQ...where do you send it? I've got a list of addmisson tutors, but no actual address...any help please?

[Tutor Name]
St John's College
Cambridge
CB2 1TP

I would assume :smile:
Reply 387
Could anyone tell me when the John's decision/rejection (!!) letters came out last year? Or whether they've been told anything this year? I've heard 3rd Jan, but then others have said just before Christmas. Thanks.
Reply 388
Was around the 3rd Jan last year :smile:
I think it's Cambridge policy to send the letters on a certain day, around 2nd Jan. It's probably on the website somewhere.
Reply 389
It'll be the first day of post after the new year, the letters will have either already been sent or will be sent off tomorrow.

Where are all the Johnians!? :p: How many people are waiting for a reply from John's?
Reply 390
Hi all. Have applied to John's for architecture this year and am currently waiting for my rejection letter! Thanks for the post Kaiser_Mole - have been unsure when I'd get the dreaded thing for a few weeks now! Anyone happen to know how many applicants for architecture this year (at John's)?
Reply 391
There were x many applicants for architecture. I think I knew at one stage when the interviews were happening and I plonked myself in the JCR all day (if you went into the JCR chances are you met me), but I don't think it was one of the scarily high ones if that's any help!
Reply 392
Good Luck everyone. There is a Cambridge freshers 2008 group on facebook if you want to join. There is also a Johns one!
Reply 393
www.sjcjcr.com

Also, I am the new access officer of St John's college, so if you have any questions about applying or anything to do with John's/Cambridge feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 394
I like St John's...

Where are the people with offers from John's?! All on facebook? pfft :p:
Sorry, mate, I have an offer for economics. Should make it, unless i screw up majorly.
Were you one of the mathmos sitting in the JCR while the interview candidates were ****ing themselves?
Reply 397
oui, I was. Blonde with glasses and a bit mad.
Yeh, i think i remember. Just out of curiosity, do you know how hard the economists at John's are worked compared to the other subjects? Some people say that we are abused with work and others say that its a bit of a doss. Couls you shed any light on this?
So people...anyone thinking of applying to St Johns for 2009 entry???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending