The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

aKarma
For you first years there are 115 Cripps rooms, 48 North Court and 11 Hostel rooms to pick from

Is this undisputed fact? I am a long way from the bottom 11 so yay for no hostel! How about North Court, are those rooms desirable? I hear they are close but you have to share? Anyone have any input on the North v Cripps trade-off?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1381
StormStryke
Is this undisputed fact? I am a long way from the bottom 11 so yay for no hostel! How about North Court, are those rooms desirable? I hear they are close but you have to share? Anyone have any input on the North v Cripps trade-off?

Camtools says so

However, the dates for picking have been delayed by the decant ballot, so who knows :whoknows:

North Court rooms are essentially a corridor with a kitchen, bathroom, little bedroom and big bedroom coming off it. They always used to be doubles, but now they've put an 'A' and 'B' sign on the bedrooms and added locks and now they're singles :p:
Tbh, it's sharing between two as much as Cripps is sharing between four. They have fairly nice furnishings, but it's worth noting the big room is significantly bigger than the small one. When you guys finally get onto the rooms system, you'll be able to see some pics.
(Anyone tried their 'Friends' login yet? - rooms.joh.cam.ac.uk)

I'm away for the weekend so if the thing starts, you guys are on your own :p:
I want to email E. M. Baker and ask them what's going on but I dunno if it's a man or a woman LOL someone enlighten me?
And I don't wanna put "Dear E. M. Baker", who does that? :frown:
North court rooms are like 3-4 years old and are very nice. Cripps rooms are sort of the definition of grimy though, but to be honest nothing that should put you off.

Some of the small north court rooms are literally bed desk cupboard with not much walking space, they are generally smaller than the small cripps rooms, but about the same size as most rooms at other unis.
caaakeeey
New court rooms are like 3-4 years old and are very nice. Cripps rooms are sort of the definition of grimy though, but to be honest nothing that should put you off.

Some of the small north court rooms are literally bed desk cupboard with not much walking space, they are generally smaller than the small cripps rooms, but about the same size as most rooms at other unis.

As I understand - in North Court - there are pairs of Big room and small rooms. Are these two rooms independent of each other or one has to go through the other :p: Can you or akarma clarify this for us :o:
New court should read north court, I assume you meant north court in your post too.
Dumb Economist
As I understand - in North Court - there are pairs of Big room and small rooms. Are these two rooms independent of each other or one has to go through the other :p: Can you or akarma clarify this for us :o:

Independent, no walk through, someone in this thread said that the bedrooms have locks now, so they are proper singles, where last year it was the overall 'flat' of 2 bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom which had a lock to it. The new court rooms are the walk throughs, but they aren't for first years.
Grr I'm on holiday during my time slot, guess I'll have to delegate. And am I being thick? Because I can't add rooms to my shortlist, where's the elusive button?

Edit: Scratch that, tried on another computer and the button came up. Don't know why it doesn't on my laptop :s
I'm looking at the rooms database, and the penthouses seem to be a fair bit cheaper than some of the sets. Is it a general rule that the more expensive = the better? Or would I be better off trying to get a penthouse if there's still one available when I come to choose?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1390
aKarma
For you first years there are 115 Cripps rooms, 48 North Court and 11 Hostel rooms to pick from

that's 174 rooms :P at least i get some form of choice...between two rooms!
anotheregostar
I'm looking at the rooms database, and the penthouses seem to be a fair bit cheaper than some of the sets. Is it a general rule that the more expensive = the better? Or would I be better off trying to get a penthouse if there's still one available when I come to choose?
Thank you :smile:

No penthouses available to us :p:
Ziffachan
No penthouses available to us :p:

Really? I found a couple on the rooms database that say available ..
The rooms database is showing some Chapel Court rooms available for me too ... does that mean First Years can choose these as well as Cripps/North?
StormStryke
The rooms database is showing some Chapel Court rooms available for me too ... does that mean First Years can choose these as well as Cripps/North?

I think so. I assume that we can choose from any of the rooms that are still available.
Reply 1395
indeed:yep:
aKarma
indeed:yep:

All i really want is a room with a nice view of the back of new court - so staircase A, B or C.
Assuming there are 8 rooms on each floor, if say B8 has a nice view, isit right to assume that B16 would be vertically above it and on a similar plot?
Thanks.
Reply 1397
Funkachillislap
All i really want is a room with a nice view of the back of new court - so staircase A, B or C.
Assuming there are 8 rooms on each floor, if say B8 has a nice view, isit right to assume that B16 would be vertically above it and on a similar plot?
Thanks.

It should be provided, there aren't any fellows messing things up.
Not absolutely certain though
nothing yet :frown:
Reply 1399
My room's gone already :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending