The Student Room Group

Shoebox studio flat in London snapped up within 16-hours.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jun/03/shoebox-studio-flat-london-renters-hours

This place definitely represents the housing market and the rental market today. Honestly... who could live in this room? it's depressing as hell!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I really don't know why someone would choose to live in conditions like that just for the sake of living in London. Always puzzles me. I appreciate that work opportunities are greater, but if you're only earning enough to rent that thing, you might as well live somewhere else and be a little more comfortable.

It'd make a reasonable second property for someone who commutes in (a friend of mine works in London Monday - Friday, but comes back to Yorkshire at the weekend; his London 'flat' isn't much larger than that shoebox) but the idea of living in something like that all the time must be incredibly depressing.
Reply 2
... Well, you wouldn't have to move far if you were hungry during the night I guess.
I love how they added 'A six-bedroom house less than a mile from the studio flat is currently being advertised at £2,300 a week, or £9,967 pcm' towards the end.
Reply 4
I think it's quite cute, wouldn't mind living somewhere small like that if I was single (if I was working crazy hours that meant I had to live in London and couldn't commute)

Probably ditch the bed though that thing is ugly and far too large
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Flauta
I think it's quite cute, wouldn't mind living somewhere small like that if I was single (if I was working crazy hours that meant I had to live in London and couldn't commute)

Probably ditch the bed though that thing is ugly and far too large

Yeah I don't get why they have gone for so much unnecessary furniture in there. The least i'd do is get a smaller bed in there. Maybe the bed could even be a 'fold up' one?

Why is there a table and chair in there too? That's insane!!
Bloody hell thats just like Toyko. Good location though.
The furniture and stuff in there is what makes it a 'studio flat' rather than just a 'room'. I rented a single room in Kings Cross (5 min walk from station) last year. The room was more spacious and obviously a shared bathroom/kitchen, but it was only £380 a month - bills inclusive. If the person spent a bit more time searching around, they could have had something better!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by russellsteapot
I really don't know why someone would choose to live in conditions like that just for the sake of living in London. Always puzzles me. I appreciate that work opportunities are greater, but if you're only earning enough to rent that thing, you might as well live somewhere else and be a little more comfortable.

It'd make a reasonable second property for someone who commutes in (a friend of mine works in London Monday - Friday, but comes back to Yorkshire at the weekend; his London 'flat' isn't much larger than that shoebox) but the idea of living in something like that all the time must be incredibly depressing.

Agreed.
Damn what you'd get for £737 a month here...really shows what its like in inner London. I don't know why anyone would want this though, I mean surely if they were just 20-30 minutes further out they'd be able to do better?
The obsession with London must stop.

Actually now I think of it the better option is for London to discard it's obsession with it's skyline and decrepit old buildings and either build upwards with lots of multi-story block buildings and skyscrapers or give up being a 'global' city.

You cant be a global city and continue to pretend that you're some small twee quaint little home-counties town.

Silly London.

Also this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/newhomes/9795268/To-solve-Britains-housing-crisis-we-must-build-up-not-out.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Actually now I think of it the better option is for London to discard it's obsession with it's skyline and decrepit old buildings and either build upwards with lots of multi-story block buildings and skyscrapers or give up being a 'global' city.

You cant be a global city and continue to pretend that you're some small twee quaint little home-counties town.

Silly London.

Also this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/newhomes/9795268/To-solve-Britains-housing-crisis-we-must-build-up-not-out.html

it's time to spread out the investment and use money where it's most needed. I've also noticed a trend that if money isn't spent in London it's spent in Manchester and then MPs and business leaders use that to argue they care about investment in the north as a whole. Manchester isn't a struggling area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hence HS2, but then people complain about that costing money (as if anything could not cost money)..

The problem is that London is the UK's international city - to 99% of the globe, London is England/the UK (they are interchangeable to most people) - if you 'give up' on that, you give up on an absolutely massive financial boon for the entire country. The costs of that would be catastrophic.
Original post by datpiff
it's time to spread out the investment and use money where it's most needed. I've also noticed a trend that if money isn't spent in London it's spent in Manchester and then MPs and business leaders use that to argue they care about investment in the north as a whole. Manchester isn't a struggling area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.

Original post by Drewski
Hence HS2, but then people complain about that costing money (as if anything could not cost money)..

The problem is that London is the UK's international city - to 99% of the globe, London is England/the UK (they are interchangeable to most people) - if you 'give up' on that, you give up on an absolutely massive financial boon for the entire country. The costs of that would be catastrophic.

It's not really a boom for the entire country if it only benefits London and the adjoining counties.

Still I'm not one for shouting against the wind, if anything I am saying London should go full-hog tilt at being the Global City it claims to be and own that title by building and looking and functioning like one.

Big global reach cities build up. They need to to provide enough cost-effective and affordable housing to people within reasonable walking/transport distance of their places of work and leisure.

It'd serve to take cars off the streets, protect the countryside, and generally be satisfying to everyone but the most selfish more interested in some view or twee looking decayed structure.

So yes I agree, London is important. It deserves to start looking the part.
(edited 9 years ago)
Could be alright as a short term thing for someone who needed to be in London for building career experience or study or whatever. If that was me I'd be doing it with the view of no longer than a yearish though.
It's not really a boom for the entire country if it only benefits London and the adjoining counties.

Still I'm not one for shouting against the wind, if anything I am saying London should go full-hog tilt at being the Global City it claims to be and own that title by building and looking and functioning like one.

Big global reach cities build up. They need to to provide enough cost-effective and affordable housing to people within reasonable walking/transport distance of their places of work and leisure.

It'd serve to take cars off the streets, protect the countryside, and generally be satisfying to everyone but the most selfish more interested in some view or twee looking decayed structure.

So yes I agree, London is important. It deserves to start looking the part.

But then you have the problems of building a 21st century city out of one with the heart from the 16th century.

Hell, even some of the most modern/important bits are relics of 200 years ago. Without utterly ginormous investment (that's almost guaranteed to not come from within the country) there's no way that level of competition is possible.
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski

HS2 will only benefit London. Just look at Doncaster. That town is lucky to have a fast and direct line to London but it is still one of the poorest towns in Britain.

What's the point if most of the population are priced off the thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
HS2 will only benefit London. Just look at Doncaster. That town is lucky to have a fast and direct line to London but it is still one of the poorest towns in Britain.

What's the point if most of the population are priced off the thing?

Because it's Doncaster. Who wants to live or work there? I'm 25 minutes further north on that very same train line and it's only because York is a tourist draw that we have some relative wealth, all our industries have long since gone.

The Government can put in all the incentives it wants, but companies want to be somewhere where there's a draw for it's customers and clients. To 99% of companies (and 100% of international companies) that draw is London and that's impossible to 'correct' overnight.
Original post by Drewski
But then you have the problems of building a 21st century city out of one with the heart from the 16th century.

Hell, even some of the most modern/important bits are relics of 200 years ago. Without utterly ginormous investment (that's almost guaranteed to not come from within the country) there's no way that level of competition is possible.

You'd be surprised at how quickly London can shoot up if given the chance.

Every other global city once grew out of more modest origins after all. We just have to stop acting as if it's of vital importance to preserve every brick that happened to be laid just outside and more from living memory. We don't need to bulldoze St Paul's cathedral obviously but large swathes of London have clearly outlived their usefulness, and even the more important famous structures (the above mentioned included) aren't so sacred that views to them from other parts of the city need be kept sacred.

Living cities need to change and grow, and it's unrealistic to keep building outwards because that will only add to traffic and transportation woes.

Plus modern realities mean we cant wait for another World War to flatten the place and make the decision for us. :smile:
You'd be surprised at how quickly London can shoot up if given the chance.

Every other global city once grew out of more modest origins after all. We just have to stop acting as if it's of vital importance to preserve every brick that happened to be laid just outside and more from living memory. We don't need to bulldoze St Paul's cathedral obviously but large swathes of London have clearly outlived their usefulness, and even the more important famous structures (the above mentioned included) aren't so sacred that views to them from other parts of the city need be kept sacred.

Living cities need to change and grow, and it's unrealistic to keep building outwards because that will only add to traffic and transportation woes.

Plus modern realities mean we cant wait for another World War to flatten the place and make the decision for us. :smile:

Couldn't agree more, but this is England and London. The crowd who never accept change would be up in arms, the money is next to non-existent and the people who see the problem aren't in any position to get that powers that be (who don't see the problem at all from their £10m Thames-view apartments) to do anything about it.

Frankly, a world war is probably the only way we would be able to get wholesale change!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending