The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

angietash
I'm gonna be made to do this, and I've heard that most universtities disreguard it and it's nto respected. Is this true, or does it count for anything? Is it worth trying for it, or will nobody care what grade you get?

It's worth something, but not very much.

"? Is it worth trying for it, or will nobody care what grade you get?" - They'd still prefer an A to a C, despite it not bothering them much.
Reply 2
angietash
I'm gonna be made to do this, and I've heard that most universtities disreguard it and it's nto respected. Is this true, or does it count for anything? Is it worth trying for it, or will nobody care what grade you get?

Hardly any universities that anyone I know applied to will accept it, but there are a few that will. I don't really know anyone that tries with it, we dont bother going to half of the lessons and just treat the exams as a laugh, ie dont do any revision for them or just read a bit of the textbook the night before. Remember though that there are some universities that will exept it, so I would look into before the exams. I have one friend who is now treating it seriously as the uni he wants to go to will accept it
Reply 3
angietash

My insurance accepts it as an A Level :tongue: but my firm UCL doesn't. I suspect it depends on where you apply.
Reply 4
gemma1811
Hardly any universities that anyone I know applied to will accept it, but there are a few that will. I don't really know anyone that tries with it, we dont bother going to half of the lessons and just treat the exams as a laugh, ie dont do any revision for them or just read a bit of the textbook the night before. Remember though that there are some universities that will exept it, so I would look into before the exams. I have one friend who is now treating it seriously as the uni he wants to go to will accept it

good universities dont accept it..
Reply 5
jiefei_ma
good universities dont accept it..

Well nowhere i've applied will accept it, so it dont bother me, im just gunna go into the exams like i did last year and take the mick!
Reply 6
gemma1811
Well nowhere i've applied will accept it, so it dont bother me, im just gunna go into the exams like i did last year and take the mick!

Is it easy to get a good grade then, without trying?
Reply 7
angietash
Is it easy to get a good grade then, without trying?

Well I suppose so compared to your other A Levels, but without any effort you're destined to fail :rolleyes: I find it very enjoyable!
Reply 8
Better unis do not accept GS in offers, but a good grade in it has been known to make the difference when they have had to decide between two people who have missed their offers.

As you can't really revise for it, a good grade will show that you have general interest and can also think on your feet. I think GS is a useful qualification as how well people do is an indication of their general knowledge, intelligence, and general skills like essay writing, maths, and comprehension (both linguistic and scientific).

Also it has been said that how well someone does in General Studies is the best indication of how well they will do in their degree, though I don't know how much evidence there is for this.

It isn't that easy, only 12-14% of candidates get an A. A range of people seem to do it too, from those who hope it will strengthen their Oxbridge application to those who are aiming for an E and an extra 20 points.
Reply 9
University of Sheffield accept it, thats a decent university. But still, our teachers don't bother turning up for our lessons :biggrin: Just do a few practice exams at some point, I know they're not fun, but do that and you'll be fine. Its not something you can revise for. Its not a complete waste of time, for the sake of a few exams, you might as well do it.
Reply 10
From what I've seen, if you're doing only science subjects, and your course requires having 1 non-science subject, they'll count General Studies as the non-science course, although they won't count the points from it.
Reply 11
Alexander

It isn't that easy, only 12-14% of candidates get an A. A range of people seem to do it too, from those who hope it will strengthen their Oxbridge application to those who are aiming for an E and an extra 20 points.

& people who just do it because it's their 6th forms policy, so it's more hassle NOT to do it & they get money from the government for each A level their candidates do, which can then be spent on more worthwhile things..!

If you do certain subjects then i think GS is easier without putting any effort in - apparently students doing history at my college got some of the best marks (which was attributed to essay writing skills) but i also think there are normally quite a few essays Qs that Geography/Economics helps with. Of the sciences, i found Biology was the most relevant - although i disagreed with some 'facts' in their article on cloning we had to respond to, whoops. & i wonder what the mark schemes are like for that kind of thing, because unless the person marking mine was a biology teacher with an interest in genetics...lol :rolleyes:

anyway, even though not all unis do accept it (none of my medicine offers did), i don't see the point in turning up to an exam & doing no work whatsoever or just writing nonsense (like so many people i know did apparently) - that just seems like a complete waste of time :confused:. so try your best & it could always make a difference when it comes to clearing & if not, an extra A is nice anyway.. :tongue:
Reply 12
It really depends what you want to do at uni as to how important GS is. I have a friend who has applied to do journalism (which isn't done at many traditional uni's accept Sheffield) and all of her uni's are accepting it! I applied to do law at leicester and they included GS in my offer, where as they don't include it in History offers (not sure why!) It's suprising how many people in their A2 year get their offers and realise that they might actually need GS...there were plenty of yr 13's doing resits last summer after taking the mick in the AS GS exams!
Reply 13
I'm taking the full AS & A2 this year...nine hours of exams. Yummy.

Anyway, if I get a B in the A2 I'll declare the AS (if it's an A) only.
Tek

And re-take the A2?
Reply 15
Most will not accept it but if it is a fouth A level it can look quite good. Getting an A shows that you have some ability, and seeing as it is not very hard its worth having a go.
Reply 16
It depends on the popularity of the course. Like some subjects at Nottingham and Bristol accept it, whereas most do not.
Reply 17
bono
And re-take the A2?
Maybe...
Tek
Maybe...

So, what subject will you be applying for at Cam/Ox then?
Reply 19
Tek

we did that too..good in some ways as it just gets it over with. annoying in terms of interrupting relaxation between A2s though!

Latest