The Student Room Group

Would I disadvantaged if I only took 3 as levels?

I have heard many horror stories about a levels and how they're hard work and so I only want to take 3 as levels. This is so I can focus on them and achieve straight a's.

I am hoping to take maths, further maths and philosophy and ethics and was wondering if others would have priority over me due to the lack of As levels. I am also doing an EPQ next year which is equivalent to an as level and is accepted by UCL as an extra as.

I really want to know whether or not I will be disadvantaged in any way especially as I want to pursue a career in law which is extremely competitive at uni.
Reply 1
Well i applied for economics and still got all my 5 offers even with 3 AS levels.

But the 'horror stories' are a minority to be honest. Also your probably going to be doing A2 maths in year 1, so you want to fill some of your blocks up. If anything, you could be in a slightly worse position since your doing Maths & Further - On your UCAS, your likely to have 2 official AS results - Maths and Philosophy.
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
Well i applied for economics and still got all my 5 offers even with 3 AS levels.

But the 'horror stories' are a minority to be honest. Also your probably going to be doing A2 maths in year 1, so you want to fill some of your blocks up. If anything, you could be in a slightly worse position since your doing Maths & Further - On your UCAS, your likely to have 2 official AS results - Maths and Philosophy.

I am pretty sure if maths and further maths are taken for a level, you get two separate as levels since they're two separate a a levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Sahara_ad
I am pretty sure if maths and further maths are taken for a level, you get two separate as levels since they're two separate a a levels.

Yes you do, you are correct.

But majority of schools put them into 1 block. So that you do ALL of Maths A2 in year 1 and ALL of A2 further in year 2. In this case, your UCAS application will show you to have only an AS level in Maths (since you may need to juggle modules around for the optimal grades between the 2 subjects). Obviously this stands out on your application.

I would personally just take another subject to fill your timetable. EPQ is usually a summer thing anyways.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer

But majority of schools put them into 1 block. So that you do ALL of Maths A2 in year 1 and ALL of A2 further in year 2. In this case, your UCAS application will show you to have only an AS level in Maths (since you may need to juggle modules around for the optimal grades between the 2 subjects). Obviously this stands out on your application.

I would personally just take another subject to fill your timetable. EPQ is usually a summer thing anyways.

At the college I'm going to, Maths and Further Maths count as one timetable block, yeah...
You do the As of both in year 12, and the A2 of both in year 13.
For this reason, they suggested I take 5 subjects, because otherwise my timetable will be quite empty in places.
You could always do something like an EPQ, I felt it was good and let you explore a topic your interested about. I think you could relate it to a subject that you could do as a degree, I did mine on predicting the price of oil in the future which related to my future degree Economics and then when I did my dissertation, I actually used statistical software to extend on this area.
Original post by Jkizer

You're correct. Normally for students taking both Maths and Further maths, they do only maths for 1st year and only further maths for second year. Therefore when the OP fills out the UCAS form, he/she will have only achieved 2 AS levels which unis won't like, although that's not the real case, but they will be unfavoured.
Some universities, such as cambridge, take maths and further maths as one A-Level so you'd effectively have 2 a-levels in their eyes. As the majority of their applicants would have 4 a levels, this would put you at a disadvantage. It depends on what you're aiming for.
I mean, if someone with the exact same stats as you applied to a university, but they had 4AS' at the same grades to you, they would be at an advantage to you, and would probably get the place. But that's not to say that you couldn't make it up with extracurriculars or a good interview (if applicable).
I think the transition from GCSE to A-levels is the most difficult part especially if, like me, you didn't work very hard for the former. But once you get used to it, the only hard thing is motivating yourself to put in the work. And if you're serious enough about your education, that shouldn't be very difficult. So I'd advise taking a fourth.
Either way, best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jkizer

thankfully my sixth form has maths and further maths in two different blocks which is good however I may consider taking up an extra as level
You would probably be fine if it was 3 different subjects but many places see further maths as an addition not a third subject so u may been an other subject.

Quick Reply

Latest