The Student Room Group

should I drop maths A level

soooo I'm in a bit of a situation atm where i take 4 a levels and an EPQ. I took them knowing I wanted to drop one I just couldn't decide which subject I'd like most. I'm liking them all so far but maths is probably my least fav and I can tell I will find it difficult in the future.

I'm hoping to apply to uni for linguistics at oxford and they have maths as a 'helpful' (green) subject. My other subjects are french, history and english so do you think it would be worth keeping maths or would it not disadvantage my application too much?

If I were to drop maths, I'd take some courses as supracurriculars focusing on the statistical side of linguistics to prove I can do it. Do you think that would be enough or should I just power through maths and drop history?
Original post by issyb_123
soooo I'm in a bit of a situation atm where i take 4 a levels and an EPQ. I took them knowing I wanted to drop one I just couldn't decide which subject I'd like most. I'm liking them all so far but maths is probably my least fav and I can tell I will find it difficult in the future.

I'm hoping to apply to uni for linguistics at oxford and they have maths as a 'helpful' (green) subject. My other subjects are french, history and english so do you think it would be worth keeping maths or would it not disadvantage my application too much?

If I were to drop maths, I'd take some courses as supracurriculars focusing on the statistical side of linguistics to prove I can do it. Do you think that would be enough or should I just power through maths and drop history?

was the maths being a green subject for this course or more widely for oxford? focusing on supercurriculars may be a good idea if you struggle with maths as it does get much harder in y13 (i found y12 quite easy but y13 content was harder for sure). the subjects youre taking now anyway are fine for linguistics and they only require 3 subjects regardless

Quick Reply

Latest