The Student Room Group

Eton boys/ private schooling

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christabel101
Shame on me? For my parents wanting the best education for us? Oh please!

For us? Did you go to Eton? Why should your brother be allowed to go there and not you?
Original post by Arithmeticae
TBH if you really want to go private, there are other schools that generally perform higher in the league tables (and I think are cheaper), so apart from the prestige associated with the name I don't see why you would apply straight to Eton when there are better alternatives available.

Because it is pretty close or where we live (we love in windsor), hence my mum who is completely paranoid about him leaving to go to boarding school, would feel much better knowing he is close by. It also saves the stress of travelling far back and forth
Original post by scotttb
For us? Did you go to Eton? Why should your brother be allowed to go there and not you?

If you read the start message you would know why. Besides I cannot technically go to eton as I am female, and the last I recall, it is an all boys school.
Original post by Christabel101
Because it is pretty close or where we live (we love in windsor), hence my mum who is completely paranoid about him leaving to go to boarding school, would feel much better knowing he is close by. It also saves the stress of travelling far back and forth

Then why don't you just go to a local private/grammar school that doesn't need pupils to stay there during term times?
Original post by 4.2.0
I wouldn't worry about Ripper-Roo, he made some whacko thread earlier about how education shouldn't be forced on him as an under 16 year old, since he knows how to make his own life choices :rolleyes:

I suspected there were some...issues...with him.
Original post by thechemistress
Oh, shut up. My brother goes to Eton completely free.

thats a lie
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Not taking it out on your brother at all, but instead of hoping he'd get a scholarship, the govt should be more active in improving the condition of state schools then to make it (learning environment) accessible by everyone and it's more long term.

They definitely should. It's sad to see how bad some of them are :/

Original post by teen1234
lol, you were shocked to see year 7s smoking outside school?

Erm, yes? In what world do Year 7s smoke?
Original post by tehforum
thats a lie

I can post a picture of the letter if you'd like? :rolleyes:
I can post a picture of the letter if you'd like? :rolleyes:

I believe you.

Well done on your brother for getting a scholarship,ánd thank your parents for being poor so that all the fees were remitted.
Original post by Arithmeticae
Then why don't you just go to a local private/grammar school that doesn't need pupils to stay there during term times?

This whole thread was meant to find out about eton AND private school in general. Everyone just made it about eton. I have no idea why several people get cranky at the mention of eton, but that's what happened. Anyways we are looking into other options as well, not just eton.he is also quite excited at the prospect of boarding.
(edited 9 years ago)
Umm, it's certainly much better than a lot of state schools in the country but there are equally good (or academically better) grammar schools. This said, Eton has prestige and tends to produce quite a few MPs even if not of all them have the best GCSE/ A-level grades. However, if he's intelligent then he should be able to do well as long as he goes to an average state school which gives him the opportunities.
Go for it I say. I was both private schooled from my first school years to 16. It has been so beneficial.
I went to a sixth-form college and there were people from all walks of life. In my honest opinion, all everyone here thinks about is grades and for a grammar school, fine, they often do the job. But in terms of extra curricular (Sailing, Kayaking, Polo, Golf) I don't know any grammar or state school that gives students this twice a week. Also think that you are groomed through an education. If you go to Eton or any other top private school, you are often more confident, well-spoken, more comfortable in formal environments etc. Finally, a network, people at Eton etc will be more likely to succeed through family connections or general prowess. This is worthwhile.

When I got to my Sixth-form college, I stuck out like a sore thumb, but then, why would you want to be like everyone else.
I really regret going to a state sixth form, because the whole atmosphere was different. I mean if walked with my top button undone, or my shirt hanging out, i was in deep sh*t. What did i learn from that? dress immaculately. If i chewed with my mouth open, i would be in deep sh*t. What did i learn from that? etiquette. I was given a position of responsibility over younger students? Leadership.

I also went to an all boys school, so when i was exposed to girls (lol), it was not the softest way to break the fall... and there are cons. But the benefits fiercely outweigh the cons.

My Mum fought hand and knees to make sure her children go to private schools. I know how it feels to have to cut back on things at home to send your kids to a school like this. My brother and sister were also privately educated and it really gives you a headstart.

I'm on the ipad, so my grammar might be off, but please understand my message Ofcourse, circumstances are different for everyone and people at a state school might not like to hear this, but this is from someone who has experienced both sides and the one that was most beneficial for me was the private.

Thanks.
Original post by JamesTheCool
No. £35,000-per-year is a horrendous amount of money to spend on someone's education, shame on you if you do.

It's not just an education....

It's glorified day care, and evening care, and weekend care. In fact, they'll pretty much raise the kid.
I believe you.

Well done on your brother for getting a scholarship,ánd thank your parents for being poor so that all the fees were remitted.

Being poor certainly does have its perks :wink:
Being poor certainly does have its perks :wink:

srs I bet your parents are so proud

How about you?
Original post by Thestudentreem
Go for it I say. I was both private schooled from my first school years to 16. It has been so beneficial.
I went to a sixth-form college and there were people from all walks of life. In my honest opinion, all everyone here thinks about is grades and for a grammar school, fine, they often do the job. But in terms of extra curricular (Sailing, Kayaking, Polo, Golf) I don't know any grammar or state school that gives students this twice a week. Also think that you are groomed through an education. If you go to Eton or any other top private school, you are often more confident, well-spoken, more comfortable in formal environments etc. Finally, a network, people at Eton etc will be more likely to succeed through family connections or general prowess. This is worthwhile.

When I got to my Sixth-form college, I stuck out like a sore thumb, but then, why would you want to be like everyone else.
I really regret going to a state sixth form, because the whole atmosphere was different. I mean if walked with my top button undone, or my shirt hanging out, i was in deep sh*t. What did i learn from that? dress immaculately. If i chewed with my mouth open, i would be in deep sh*t. What did i learn from that? etiquette. I was given a position of responsibility over younger students? Leadership.

I also went to an all boys school, so when i was exposed to girls (lol), it was not the softest way to break the fall... and there are cons. But the benefits fiercely outweigh the cons.

My Mum fought hand and knees to make sure her children go to private schools. I know how it feels to have to cut back on things at home to send your kids to a school like this. My brother and sister were also privately educated and it really gives you a headstart.

I'm on the ipad, so my grammar might be off, but please understand my message Ofcourse, circumstances are different for everyone and people at a state school might not like to hear this, but this is from someone who has experienced both sides and the one that was most beneficial for me was the private.

Thanks.
Thank you for writing that incredibly long message :smile:. You just mentioned the points that made our family to consider private schooling in the first place. Not necessarily only eton, but a private school. I myself choose to go to a grammar school even though given the opportunity to attend a private one. Although I am quite happy with where I am, I always considered what privileges public schooling would have given me , and It would be nice for my brother to experience that. Thanks once more for the advice. Ps: I'm on my iPad also :smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
Because the children didn't earn it themselves, duh!

No. State schools are poor in comparison to private schools... yet in a lot of cases they are still sufficient enough.

Many people who go to private schools are from abroad and private schooling at a boarding school is the only option for a British education - yet once they get to applying at some universities, they are discriminated against because most universities don't want to seem too lenient towards students coming from private schools.

Private schools are pretty good, but you should probably have a valid reason for going to one - either you live abroad, really want to do ancient greek, or all the state schools in your area are in really bad shape.
srs I bet your parents are so proud

How about you?

I go to a grammar school if that's what you were asking.
I'm a girl and I go to a private all girls school.. I personally think that there is no advantage of going to either type of school, they both have their advantages and their disadvantages. I love my school and I find it has such a good atmosphere. The best thing I feel is the small class sizes this is because I struggle to learn somethings and with a smaller class I can benefit from the attention of the teacher.
The other thing I really love about my school and I'm guessing many other private schools is the boarding, I board weekly and I feel that it has given me more independence and I have a chance to spend more time with friends and have a good time.
To be honest I feel it is up to you which school you go to and there are many reasons why you would chose each option it should just be right for the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
They definitely should. It's sad to see how bad some of them are :/

Erm, yes? In what world do Year 7s smoke?

In the world that most of the public live in....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending