The Student Room Group

Take apprenticeship for pharmacy technician?

(edited 9 years ago)
A Pharmacist requires a MPharm degree, a technician probably just needs A Levels. A big difference in responsibility, application of knowledge, and salary ofcourse. You can never become a pharmacist via an apprenticeship, unfortunately going through university and getting your MPharm degree is the only way.
Reply 2
Original post by Afghan Warrior
I want to study pharmacy at uni but considering im not feeling very confident with how my AS exams went i doubt i'll be able to bring the grades up to AAB next year even by resitting some units (im in year 12 atm).
So I spoke to careers in my sixth form and the advisor has just emailed me a link to apply for an apprenticeship for a pharmacy technician. So im wondering should i just apply? Apprenticeships are competitive anyway and i probably wont get it but if i do get it and no longer want to do it i can always cancel can i not?

It's just that i dont really want to waste a year doing a gap year or anything, so what do you think should i apply? A pharmacist and a pharmacy technician have different roles obv but whats the actual difference?

You can get into pharmacy with lower grades than AAB. Also with pharmacy you can retake your AS/A2 years if you dont get the grades. If you aren't willing to retake a year to study pharmacy are you sure its what you want to do?
Original post by Advice Guru
A Pharmacist requires a MPharm degree, a technician probably just needs A Levels. A big difference in responsibility, application of knowledge, and salary ofcourse. You can never become a pharmacist via an apprenticeship, unfortunately going through university and getting your MPharm degree is the only way.

Original post by teen1234
You can get into pharmacy with lower grades than AAB. Also with pharmacy you can retake your AS/A2 years if you dont get the grades. If you aren't willing to retake a year to study pharmacy are you sure its what you want to do?

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you for your responses. Yeah I guess I'll just retake if I don't get the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
if you are inadequate to enter the pharmacy school, don't bother trying
go for the apprenticeship
Original post by studos
if you are inadequate to enter the pharmacy school, don't bother trying
go for the apprenticeship

I know I have what it takes enter pharmacy school, but due to personal circumstances my exams went badly. That's why I'm not confident about this year and whether I could bring my grades up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending