The Student Room Group

Studying University Abroad- in North Sudan, Africa??

Hello,
I want to study Dentistry at university.

I'd rather get straight into what I want to study than waste another year doing A2.

I find the tuition fees in the UK ridiculous. I don't want to be in debt when I leave university. It's £5000 a year (where you pay yourself per year- not a loan like in the UK) in the private university and I know people- although not dentistry, but studied medicine- and are now qualified doctors in the UK.

At the end of the day its if you learn the information and get the qualification (and it's the same here -BDS Dentistry) right? Or do you think university status counts?]

ALSO, any Sudanese people have opinions or know people who go to the University of Medical Sciences and Technology /Mamoun Hemeida
-In Khartoum
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _DMNT
Hello,
I want to study Dentistry at university.

I'd rather get straight into what I want to study than waste another year doing A2.

I find the tuition fees in the UK ridiculous. I don't want to be in debt when I leave university. It's £5000 a year (where you pay yourself per year- not a loan like in the UK) in the private university and I know people- although not dentistry, but studied medicine- and are now qualified doctors in the UK.

At the end of the day its if you learn the information and get the qualification (and it's the same here -BDS Dentistry) right? Or do you think university status counts?]

ALSO, any Sudanese people have opinions or know people who go to the University of Medical Sciences and Technology /Mamoun Hemeida
-In Khartoum

This must be a joke
9k a year for a course like dentistry is 100% worth it.
You will have to work in North Africa for a while before being able to work in the UK. Its unlikely to get a VT placement from an EU university never mind a university in North Africa.
If you're not willing to take a gap year to get into dentistry you're probably not motivated enough. Its blunt but honestly I find this ridiculous
Reply 2
Original post by teen1234
This must be a joke
9k a year for a course like dentistry is 100% worth it.
You will have to work in North Africa for a while before being able to work in the UK. Its unlikely to get a VT placement from an EU university never mind a university in North Africa.
If you're not willing to take a gap year to get into dentistry you're probably not motivated enough. Its blunt but honestly I find this ridiculous

This information is based on opinion?!

I can get a placement. I can get a job here after as the qualification is the same so I will not have to take the same tests an abroad graduate will have to take...Bearing in mind I KNOW people who've come back and worked (in medicine-though I assume it'll be similar for dentistry)

If you think £9000 is "100 percent worth it" then you're a prime example of the government having successfully indoctrinated people into paying TOO much for education. It's so much more cheaper in countries that have much better educational services. It used to be £3000 and they didn't raise it for the quality of the courses or for the courses of great respect or difficulty, it was for financial reasons...and greed.

And you can tell me that I'm not motivated when I'm (hopefully) studying the course and being laid back about it. The main reason I want to go is that I don't see the reason in having a whole year of stress (A2) just for getting accepted when I can take that stress for a bigger outcome- while studying the topics in dentistry.

Although thank you for your opinion:smile: And no I don't think yours "is a joke"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _DMNT

I can get a placement. I can get a job here after as the qualification is the same so I will not have to take the same tests an abroad graduate will have to take...Bearing in mind I KNOW people who've come back and worked (in medicine-though I assume it'll be similar for dentistry)

If you think £9000 is "100 percent worth it" then you're a prime example of the government having successfully indoctrinated people into paying TOO much for education. It's so much more cheaper in countries that have much better educational services. It used to be £3000 and they didn't raise it for the quality of the courses or for the courses of great respect or difficulty, it was for financial reasons...and greed.

And you can tell me that I'm not motivated when I'm (hopefully) studying the course and being laid back about it. The main reason I want to go is that I don't see the reason in having a whole year of stress (A2) just for getting accepted when I can take that stress for a bigger outcome- while studying the topics in dentistry.

Although thank you for your opinion:smile: And no I don't think yours "is a joke"

You'll have to sit and pass the ORE exam which is difficult, expensive and has a waiting list. Plus you'll have British graduates who will have had better training than you competing for jobs. Sudan is a very poor country.
To be honest it's not worth the time or effort..either get in here or pick another career.
Reply 4
Original post by muchomungo
You'll have to sit and pass the ORE exam which is difficult, expensive and has a waiting list. Plus you'll have British graduates who will have had better training than you competing for jobs. Sudan is a very poor country.
To be honest it's not worth the time or effort..either get in here or pick another career.

The ORE exam is if you didn't do the BDS qualification- this uni does it so I don't need to take the exam
Reply 5
Original post by _DMNT
The ORE exam is if you didn't do the BDS qualification- this uni does it so I don't need to take the exam

Loool, the kebabs here are kinda dodgy as well mate :/
Reply 6
Original post by _DMNT

This is not based on opinion.
Do you even know what a VT place is?
To work in the NHS you have to complete a VT year. EVEN if you pass the ORE exam you are very unlikely to get a VT place - it was easier before but going to be virtually impossible now due to the government giving VT place priority to UK grads and THEN Eu grads- never mind those outside of the EU.

Have you seen how much it costs to do dentistry in america? The reason why is third world countries such as SUDAN dentistry is a lot cheaper to study for is because it is a much poorer country there. Imagine what the average wage is there? How incredibly ignorant are you?
Reply 7
Education is priceless. And if you're going to end up with the earning potential of a dentist then really wouldnt worry.
Also Sudan and other parts of that region are not as safe etc and I cant imagine offer the same kind of uni experience as can be offered in the UK or even Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by teen1234
This is not based on opinion.
Do you even know what a VT place is?
To work in the NHS you have to complete a VT year. EVEN if you pass the ORE exam you are very unlikely to get a VT place - it was easier before but going to be virtually impossible now due to the government giving VT place priority to UK grads and THEN Eu grads- never mind those outside of the EU.

Have you seen how much it costs to do dentistry in america? The reason why is third world countries such as SUDAN dentistry is a lot cheaper to study for is because it is a much poorer country there. Imagine what the average wage is there? How incredibly ignorant are you?

No I'm actually serious about this. But you've actually opened my eyes and mind, so thanks, I appreciate it.
Reply 9
Original post by _DMNT

"Dentists who gained their primary dental qualification from a university that is not in either the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland will usually be required to pass the ORE before being able to register with the GDC."

Are you sure you don't need to sit the exam? -_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by muchomungo

Muchomungo, do you happen to know the passing rate for ORE exams btw? :smile: thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Guys what do you think?
Although my GCSEs are weak (2A*s, 5As, 3Bs), I'm actually now hoping I get those grades and will apply to UK uni's. During the summer I'll try and get as much work experience and do some embroidery for manual dexterity. Also, I'll revise for UKCAT which is very much needed as it looks insane. All your contribution has lead me to chose to apply here first. If I actually believe I can get in and work hard, maybe I'll be accepted.

I need to change my attitude and think about my main goal- becoming a dentist.

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by _DMNT
No I'm actually serious about this. But you've actually opened my eyes and mind, so thanks, I appreciate it.

Sorry if I came across a little blunt however i believe it was in your best interests. Once you get some more workexp done you'll be able to ask dentists about it too and Id be surprised if they didnt agree
best of luck
pls give us an update

Quick Reply

Latest