The Student Room Group

Typical profile of a successful applicant in a good law firm?

What will they typically have for ECs/experience/degree/university/A-levels? I have a 1st class in PPE from a regional red brick. ABB at A-level (severe mitigating circumstances). 6A*4A at GCSE. I am currently working for Grant Thornton in Audit and have done so for 8 months. I absolutely hate accounting and really wish I applied to law firms instead. I can't stand working with numbers all day and should never have chosen this career. I have no legal work experience except for one week observation at Bond Dickinson LLP. Basically I want to know how slim my chances are for the law firms where you will start on around £27k and upwards, i.e. good-sized law firms.

Also, I heard that law firms take on 50% non-law graduates - is this actually true? Considering how high supply of applicants is, why would they pick a candidate who will be an extra year of cost to them? Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You academic background is certainly strong enough to be in with a shot at one of the larger 'national' firms of Bond Dickinson's ilk where the starting salary of an NQ is actually more around £38k. You don't have straight As at A-level but a first in PPE at a red brick is definitely a feather in your cap so I don't imagine they would be too worried about your academic credentials.

If you are still based around Bristol there are a number of firms that would fit the bill in terms of the size you are looking for.

Upon reading your post I would say the main question mark would be: 'why law'? HR people are always keen to explore this with 'career-changers.' Essentially they will want to see that you are going into law for genuine reasons in the sense that (a) you have a skill-set that is suited for commercial law and (b) have a genuine interest in being a commercial solicitor.

Alarm bells will be ringing if you give the impression that you hated your last job. It may sound harsh, but this may lead some firms to question your judgment. Do you really know what you want to do in life? Why did you start working at an accountancy firm if you hate working with numbers?

Of course all of this can be remedied. Focus on the positives and 'commercial awareness' you have gained from working at Grant Thornton. In some ways you will be at an advantage because applicants who have known they wanted to be a lawyer from the age of 16 sometimes have a one-trapped mind and don't appreciate that being a solicitor isn't all about 'the law'.

Provided you come across as an enthusiastic, intelligent and interesting person there is no reason why you shouldn't succeed. You will have to learn how to write stellar application forms and devote huge amounts of time to research the firms you want to apply to/ areas of law (generally) you would like to work in.

It certainly isn't easy, but it's doable. There are plenty of people who get funding for GDL and LPC. Most, including myself, have done humanities degrees.

I would certainly consider applying for vac schemes if you are really interested, but don't be disheartened if you get knocked back. Most people get rejected first time and it can take a while to get the hang of application forms. If you have access to the funds, you might also want to consider self-funding the GDL (you could do it part time) as a means of demonstrating your commitment to law. Doing the GDL would also give you free access to careers advice/ law firm events etc, which will help build your knowledge of the profession.
All sounds good advice - you sound like you will have what it takes theoretically - like previous poster said, you need to really think about why it was you ended up going for accountancy when you don't like numbers, yet wish you had done law. Why didn't you do law? (that's not me thinking that; you just need to think it through). Also, don't over think this or worry about it but maybe think about editing your post so you don't name who you work for? If you want. Good luck - you've got all the credentials though

Original post by lil sister
What will they typically have for ECs/experience/degree/university/A-levels? I have a 1st class in PPE from a regional red brick. ABB at A-level (severe mitigating circumstances). 6A*4A at GCSE. I am currently working for Grant Thornton in Audit and have done so for 8 months. I absolutely hate accounting and really wish I applied to law firms instead. I can't stand working with numbers all day and should never have chosen this career. I have no legal work experience except for one week observation at Bond Dickinson LLP. Basically I want to know how slim my chances are for the law firms where you will start on around £27k and upwards, i.e. good-sized law firms.

Also, I heard that law firms take on 50% non-law graduates - is this actually true? Considering how high supply of applicants is, why would they pick a candidate who will be an extra year of cost to them? Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by lil sister

Fairly certain Bond Dickinson pay £28k to trainees in Bristol. Why not try and use your observation there to get more experience and apply?

Your grades are probably fine for the firms you're after so long as your reason for ABB is convincing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Key123
Fairly certain Bond Dickinson pay £28k to trainees in Bristol.

That's right. I believe the starting salaries for NQs is about £38k at the moment.

That's just about on par with several other Bristol firms and big national firms in other 'regional hubs' around the UK (Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester etc)

One other thing that's worth noting though: firms of that size will usually want to see some sort of solid connection between the applicant and the city, typically that you are (a) from there (b) live there or (c) went to uni there. If neither of those apply, you may well lose points on your application.

London firms of course are less concerned, naturally assuming that anyone would have to be out of their mind not to want to live there :wink:
I decided to start a Commercial Awareness blog - www.commerciallyaware.co.uk after attending a number of open days at City Law firms, where we were repeatedly told of the importance of being able to demonstrate commercial awareness. I am only a first year Law student, so I'm not giving expert advice or opinions, but I'm hoping to make the process of finding and engaging with relevant commercial issues easier for Law students like myself. I created the blog yesterday so there are only two posts, but I'll be posting at least twice a week. Please let me know if you find it useful. Feedback is very much welcomed :smile:
Original post by 333allicsirp
I decided to start a Commercial Awareness blog - www.commerciallyaware.co.uk after attending a number of open days at City Law firms, where we were repeatedly told of the importance of being able to demonstrate commercial awareness. I am only a first year Law student, so I'm not giving expert advice or opinions, but I'm hoping to make the process of finding and engaging with relevant commercial issues easier for Law students like myself. I created the blog yesterday so there are only two posts, but I'll be posting at least twice a week. Please let me know if you find it useful. Feedback is very much welcomed :smile:

Hi there I am starting university this September and have been reading about the various financial markets and trying to become more commercially aware and I've just read the 2 articles on your site and they are really useful! I will be sure to make use of your site
Original post by neal95
Hi there I am starting university this September and have been reading about the various financial markets and trying to become more commercially aware and I've just read the 2 articles on your site and they are really useful! I will be sure to make use of your site

Thank you so much, this means a lot! I've just posted another article about the possible effects of Scottish Independence on the City http://www.commerciallyaware.co.uk/2014/07/scots-and-city.html, I hope this one is useful too :smile:
Tiny willy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending