The Student Room Group

Why are women portrayed as weak in films? Does it annoy you girls?

For example in films etc they are rarely portrayed as hero's. It's always men who know everything has to save them in a storm or crisis the woman just stands there with her make up fully done screaming or struggling. Even when she does pluck up some bravery she often looks terrified ie titanic she saved jack but had to be reassured constantly and told what to do by him lol, he was younger than her wasnt he. In films where woman are running away from killers etc they usually fall in the forest and struggle to get up like some weakling. When does this happen with men.. They get straight up, in fact they don't even run away in the first place lol. They are also in some films made to look like gold dust that men fight over even though they don't do anything but wear dresses and put makeup on:/ Again in reality women often fight over men.

I know that men are generally physically stronger but it is very exaggerated in films, in reality women often are sometimes stronger/braver etc. Does anyone know any films where women are the strong physically fit hero's? I want to watch them they inspire me a bit ha.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some films, not ALL films.

There are a **** ton of films with strong female characters. Alien(s) being a fine example.
The bit where they fall and struggle to get up is my favourite :biggrin:. The only film I can think of right now with a physically strong heroine would be the hunger games ones but im sure there are more.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think they do tend to portray women as being weaker, both mentally and physically. For some reason, Hollywood loves this stereotype of women being prissy and hard-working but unable to cope in the real world (not all women are like that) while the men are charming, unorganised but seem to be able to get everything right and read the woman's mind. However, there are a few exceptions to this.
Reply 5
because its feminine.
There are plenty. Maybe a long time ago this was the case but in film today there are many strong female characters. Like above, Alien films, Hanna, Princess Leia, Sarah Conner Hilary S**** in million dollar baby etc. I could go on. And some of these films such as Star Wars, Alien and Terminator are the greatest films ever.

Edit: Really? A swear filter for Hilary S****? It's her name for crying out loud.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by A5ko
Some films, not ALL films.

There are a **** ton of films with strong female characters. Alien(s) being a fine example.

There's 10x more with strong male characters though. It is noticeable when a film has a strong female lead, whereas it is normal to have a strong male lead. Both genders are stereotyped in films - men being strong, aggressive, emotionally stunted etc., women being reliant on men, unable to solve a crisis on her own or leading him astray by tempting him sexually. This leads to women being more of an accessory for the male character - rather than her being a character in her own right, we she her through the male character's eyes.
Trinity! Help!

*saves Neo's ass*
Original post by inthedark1
For example in films etc they are rarely portrayed as hero's. It's always men who know everything has to save them in a storm or crisis the woman just stands there with her make up fully done screaming or struggling. Even when she does pluck up some bravery she often looks terrified ie titanic she saved jack but had to be reassured constantly and told what to do by him lol, he was younger than her wasnt he. In films where woman are running away from killers etc they usually fall in the forest and struggle to get up like some weakling. When does this happen with men.. They get straight up, in fact they don't even run away in the first place lol. They are also in some films made to look like gold dust that men fight over even though they don't do anything but wear dresses and put makeup on:/ Again in reality women often fight over men.

I know that men are generally physically stronger but it is very exaggerated in films, in reality women often are sometimes stronger/braver etc. Does anyone know any films where women are the strong physically fit hero's? I want to watch them they inspire me a bit ha.

Though you do have a point, all you have to do is turn on a Hugh Grant film to see men being shown as a weak.
Original post by matthewduncan
Or maybe its because theres some truth to it. And throwing around insults wont get you far especially with someone like me trust me.

You believing in something doesn't automatically make it true.

And you don't see the irony in your post?
Reply 11
Original post by I love shopping
Women are portrayed weaker because of specimens like this one here ^^

He's speaking the truth, women tend to be way more emotional than most men do, thus in most pressurized situations women are useless since they lack decision-making.
Original post by hihoho
He's speaking the truth, women tend to be way more emotional than most men do, thus in most pressurized situations women are useless since they lack decision-making.

Sure.
Reply 13
Sure.

Don't you have shopping or cooking to do?
Original post by hihoho
Don't you have shopping or cooking to do?

Nope, I don't like cooking. I work in a lab, just waiting for my experiment to finish so I analyse data before the end of the day :smile:

Oh wait, I couldn't possibly be a scientist because I'm a woman. All those emotions in my head must have confused me!
Reply 15
Original post by inthedark1

Watch frozen :biggrin: a Disney first where there's no male hero

Its ALWAYS like this in Bollywood.. I totally agree with you. Although there are changes coming about

Omg omg watch the help thats actually AMAZINGGGG. Sorry that's my all time favourite inspiring film for women, literally no man on her side.
As for physically oh yeah there's kung fu hustle.. She beats her husband up in that :tongue:
Reply 16
Nope, I don't like cooking. I work in a lab, just waiting for my experiment to finish so I analyse data before the end of the day :smile:

Oh wait, I couldn't possibly be a scientist because I'm a woman. All those emotions in my head must have confused me!

You aren't really a scientist, you are a student and will become an accountant. You don't have to lie on the Internet, poor taste.
Original post by matthewduncan
Or maybe its because theres some truth to it. And throwing around insults wont get you far especially with someone like me trust me.

There are many women mentally 'stronger' than you at least, I can assure you.

Original post by hihoho

*******s.
You believing in something doesn't automatically make it true.

And you don't see the irony in your post?

Show me the irony because i haven't insulted anyone its just you jumping out of your pram and getting way too ahead of yourself. There are strong women out there we all know that.Plenty of them.There are also plenty of women that are stronger than men but the reason why in "most" films men are portrayed as stronger than women is because in reality most of us are.
Original post by hihoho
You aren't really a scientist, you are a student and will become an accountant. You don't have to lie on the Internet, poor taste.

I'm a scientist atm, working in a lab since finishing my degree. I'm going to start working as an accountant in September. If you're gonna stalk, at least put some effort into it.

Latest