The Student Room Group

Preparing for college...

I really want to make a good start and do really well in college...
These are the subjects i chose to do:
-biology
-chemistry
-maths
-psychology

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how i could prepare myself and if there is things i need to buy for the subjects and so on. All advice would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
For maths, go over basic algebra. Other subjects you don't need to prepare for. Wait until you start a levels before you buy books as you dont know what exam board you're doing yet unless you've been told.
Reply 2
Original post by JackB784
For maths, go over basic algebra. Other subjects you don't need to prepare for. Wait until you start a levels before you buy books as you dont know what exam board you're doing yet unless you've been told.

Ok thanks :smile:
Original post by Kitty-meaw
-biology
-chemistry
-maths
-psychology

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how i could prepare myself and if there is things i need to buy for the subjects and so on. All advice would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

I'm doing those subjects except maths.

Just work from the beginning and buy all your textbooks and revision material beforehand.
-biology
-chemistry
-maths
-psychology

Yay! We're taking the same subjects! ^_^ except for maths, I'm taking pure stats without the core,
I'm also really curious about what I need to prepare and the equipment, because I've heard we need a graphical calculator for maths?
:confused:
and have you finished your exams already?? :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Huda_medo
Yay! We're taking the same subjects! ^_^ except for maths, I'm taking pure stats without the core,
I'm also really curious about what I need to prepare and the equipment, because I've heard we need a graphical calculator for maths?
:confused:
and have you finished your exams already?? :redface:

Yes! I finished all my exams on friday, i'm so happy and relieved, what about you?
Reply 6
Original post by miss fatty
I'm doing those subjects except maths.

Just work from the beginning and buy all your textbooks and revision material beforehand.

I would suggest you find out what board(s) you will be doing, buy some books and get started over the summer. But even without knowing your board at least two topics are going to be mega at A level for maths - Calculus and Trigonometry. You can start on both those or buy dedicated books for those two subjects over the summer. For maths as always the web site Exam Solutions is your friend. Plus Wolfram.
Yes! I finished all my exams on friday, i'm so happy and relieved, what about you?

Wow, well done, and good luck with your results then! :smile:
My last exam is on the 19th :frown::frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Huda_medo
Wow, well done, and good luck with your results then! :smile:
My last exam is on the 19th :frown::frown:

Aww that sucks:frown:, thanks! Good luck with your upcoming exams :smile:
Aww that sucks:frown:, thanks! Good luck with your upcoming exams :smile:

thank you :smile:
Reply 11
-biology
-chemistry
-maths
-psychology

Firstly, I wish you the best in the future.

Having gone through the entire experience and arriving half way through year 12 , I believe I can help you out.

Start on Day 1. Period. If you leave revision too late don't expect to achieve your desired grades under any circumstance. It may sound harsh but that's how it works.

If you start revision on day 1 and follow every topic you cover in lessons, you will get somewhere.

Obviously, make friends and don't study like a mad man, however hard work is definitely an element to success.

Take up a sport or a hobby to take your mind of your studies. Appreciate the free time you have now and cherish it.

Don't pay NO attention to the haters. There always going to be there standing in front of your goal.

Last but not least have fun :smile:

For these will be the best years of your student life!
Original post by woztar
Firstly, I wish you the best in the future.

Having gone through the entire experience and arriving half way through year 12 , I believe I can help you out.

Start on Day 1. Period. If you leave revision too late don't expect to achieve your desired grades under any circumstance. It may sound harsh but that's how it works.

If you start revision on day 1 and follow every topic you cover in lessons, you will get somewhere.

Obviously, make friends and don't study like a mad man, however hard work is definitely an element to success.

Take up a sport or a hobby to take your mind of your studies. Appreciate the free time you have now and cherish it.

Don't pay NO attention to the haters. There always going to be there standing in front of your goal.

Last but not least have fun :smile:

For these will be the best years of your student life!

Wow, this is great. Thank you very much :smile:!
Reply 13
Wow, this is great. Thank you very much :smile:!

No worries. Glad I could help.

ps, thanks for the rep!
Original post by woztar
No worries. Glad I could help.

ps, thanks for the rep!

Your welcome :tongue:
Reply 15
I definitely agree with the person who said go over basic algebra... I wish I would've done that, it would've saved me a lot of time at the beginning of the year trying to understand things that I'd forgotten from GCSE. Only other advice I'd say is buy yourself a lever arch file for each subject and get file dividers so that you can be really organised, it helps for when you need to revise for exams and you need to find a specific page of notes. Other than that, have a rest over the holidays because next year will be a bit of a shock to the system and it'll go really fast.

Quick Reply

Latest