The Student Room Group

French or German

I am about to start my GCSEs and currently study both French and German but was told that I had to do French and could do German as an extra

I am dyslexic and struggle a lot with languages so my parents said that if I wanted then they would speek to my school and see if I could drop French too, but I think that having at least one language at GCSE level looks good on your CV and could help me when I want to get into the college of my choice.

I hav asked if I can do one or the other and i think I can but I was wondering which was easier just for GCSE , I am fine with the speaking it is just the writting , reading grammer point that I struggle with, thanks!
Reply 1
French is easier in my opinion, but German may be more useful.
Original post by Yay
I am about to start my GCSEs and currently study both French and German but was told that I had to do French and could do German as an extra

I am dyslexic and struggle a lot with languages so my parents said that if I wanted then they would speek to my school and see if I could drop French too, but I think that having at least one language at GCSE level looks good on your CV and could help me when I want to get into the college of my choice.

I hav asked if I can do one or the other and i think I can but I was wondering which was easier just for GCSE , I am fine with the speaking it is just the writting , reading grammer point that I struggle with, thanks!

Original post by BBeyond
French is easier in my opinion, but German may be more useful.

I second BBeyond

However if you want to drop both for A-Level pick the easiest
Reply 3
That's the point I'm not sure which one is easiest I hav done French about 7 years and know the same amount of French as I do German which I hav been learning for 2 years so I'm not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did French, my advice is do well in the Coursework and if you're on AQA, hope your teacher let's you take your work into the speaking assessments (cause my teacher didn't but the other class teacher did)
Reply 5
Well, French is more useful, but German is easier; but more or less confusing. :wink:

Which one do you enjoy the most? You will have to put a lot of effort into a language. Or if you speak another language at home, you can ask to take that through an extra GCSE.
Reply 6
German is simpler in terms of tenses (there are less than French by a mile and English) and pronunciation is fairly easy. Some words also look/sound similar to their English counterparts so that's a benefit.

However the German grammar is by far more difficult and will drive you round the bend, so in this way it may seem as if French is a better choice.

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) also states French should be easier to learn than German. And French will be more useful globally due to number of native speakers :tongue:

Ultimately your decision pal :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Aimez
Well, French is more useful, but German is easier; but more or less confusing. :wink:

Which one do you enjoy the most? You will have to put a lot of effort into a language. Or if you speak another language at home, you can ask to take that through an extra GCSE.

Original post by Inexorably
German is simpler in terms of tenses (there are less than French by a mile and English) and pronunciation is fairly easy. Some words also look/sound similar to their English counterparts so that's a benefit.

However the German grammar is by far more difficult and will drive you round the bend, so in this way it may seem as if French is a better choice.

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) also states French should be easier to learn than French. And French will be more useful globally due to number of native speakers :tongue:

Ultimately your decision pal :smile:

Just thought I'd point out this thread is six months old, if you didn't realise :P
Reply 8
Erm.. 'French is easier to learn than French'? Ha ha! :smile:
I took both for GCSE and continued on with French for A Level. I think French is easier because German grammatically is very tricky (you need to know conjugations, cases, word order etc) whereas French grammar is a lot more similar to English.

As for what it more important - it is all relative: if you end up working for a German company, then German will be more useful, but if you end up working for a French company then obviously French will be more useful!
Although my opinion might be a biased, I think that French is quite easy if you put in the effort to understand the tenses, sentence structure, etc. I've never studied German, but my friends who are learning it at GCSE say that it is a bit hard. French is recognised in more countries than German, so it would be handier for work-related purposes. Still, choose whatever you believe suits you best!
Original post by AdamCee
Just thought I'd point out this thread is six months old, if you didn't realise :P

Omg hahaha I didn't see the above poster bumped it

and crikey i meant French is easier than German what is wrong with me today :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest