The Student Room Group

Quick question for graphic design students!

I'm starting uni in September and I was wondering if I would benefit from buying a MacBook. I have a normal dell lapotop, but considering the subject I'm taking and how most graphic designers use a mac I just wanted to know is it needed during uni? Like, would I benefit from using a Mac instead of a normal laptop?
Not strictly graphic design but....

I got a MacBook Pro at Christmas (upgraded from Dell) and it is the best thing I've done. I'm very media orientated and the mac has done wonders for me - from designing magazine covers to producing moving image.

Believe me, as they say, once you go mac you'll never go back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I've had a mac since 2012 and i do graphic design as an a-level. tbh they don't make much of a difference from ordinary laptops if you have the adobe software downloaded which is what you'll have to do when you get your mac anyways? I love mac, for me it's simply more convenient and once you get the hang of it you wont be able to stand anything but macs...seriously! You wont really benefit from it.......unless you want to be seen as a hipster and cool n trendy etc then if thats what you're looking for it will be perfect. :biggrin:
My son's a postgrad art student and has a mac. He wouldn't go back. It seems to have lasted longer than his other laptops, which is why I've just bought one too.
Original post by lightthefuze
I'm starting uni in September and I was wondering if I would benefit from buying a MacBook. I have a normal dell lapotop, but considering the subject I'm taking and how most graphic designers use a mac I just wanted to know is it needed during uni? Like, would I benefit from using a Mac instead of a normal laptop?

I've just finished my graphic design degree & I got through it without a Mac, as well as a good few on my course who got very good grades! So no it's not needed, just as long as your laptop can cope with running all the design programs you need. Your University may have Macs that you are able to use anyway, so you could see how you get on and what you have access to once you start University and then make a decision.

Only in the last few months of studying did I decide to buy one, due to the student discount & thinking I may be better off with one going into the industry. But that's just down to personal choice.
Reply 5
a Mac was essential for design practices maybe 10 years ago. You'll probably get more bang for your buck buying something that isn't apple, but get whatever you prefer.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help guys :smile: Think i'm just gonna stick with my laptop for now and only buy a mac if I feel it's needed once I've started the course

Quick Reply

Latest