The Student Room Group

A level choices

We were told today in assembly that were going to have to start planning what to do at aa level since applications start going in soon. I already have planned 3 subjects which are maths, chemistry and biology but im stuck on what to take as a 4th subject. I enjoy sciencey and mathsy subjects. I'd like to take medicine in uni and id like to take a 4th subject at AS level? i was thinking accounting since it is something i can fall back on and enjoy asa career if i dont make it in medicine. However, i don't know if it will look bad to the uni's and if i should take another as like further maths or physics or statistics or something? Im already taking an AS this year early in Theology, had to because of school but yeah? Any idea on what my 4th a level subject should be? i'd appreciate all points of view and suggestions.

Thanks, Sam
Useful stuff to read - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

The choice depends on 1) what subjects are available to you at your school, 2) what you intend to do after you leave school, 2) what subjects you are good at or enjoy.

With 3 sciences, you would be advised to also do a Humanities or Social Science subject to 'keep doors open' and improve your general knowledge - so something like Economics, Geography, Sociology etc or even English Lit. Accountancy is NOT a good idea as its regarded as a weak subject and often not accepted by Universities.
Reply 2
Original post by SamMartyn
We were told today in assembly that were going to have to start planning what to do at aa level since applications start going in soon. I already have planned 3 subjects which are maths, chemistry and biology but im stuck on what to take as a 4th subject. I enjoy sciencey and mathsy subjects. I'd like to take medicine in uni and id like to take a 4th subject at AS level? i was thinking accounting since it is something i can fall back on and enjoy asa career if i dont make it in medicine. However, i don't know if it will look bad to the uni's and if i should take another as like further maths or physics or statistics or something? Im already taking an AS this year early in Theology, had to because of school but yeah? Any idea on what my 4th a level subject should be? i'd appreciate all points of view and suggestions.

Thanks, Sam

If you enjoy maths I would probably try further maths at AS, the good thing about maths and further maths is you can swap modules around to improve your grades, I did maths, chem, bio, further maths then dropped further maths at A2 :smile:
Reply 3

Thanks, Sam

psychology fits well with your other subjects and the prospects of medicine so that could be a possibility. however if you want to keep you options more open then maybe something like geography
pS. Useful stuff to read about Applying for Medicine - includes advice about what A level subjects are accepted/preferred by each Med School - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Also, remember that 'Medicine' is the most competitive Uni course possible, and that there are other medical career areas that are equally impressive/demanding/important/fulfilling - http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/
Reply 5

Thanks, Sam

If you like maths and science and are good at both i suggest Physics as it fits in really well will chemistry and biology so you get a better understanding. However at AS its not the got the best content but at A2 it gets a lot more interesting

Thanks, Sam

Physics goes brilliantly with maths - they really compliment each other, but all 3 sciences plus maths may be quite difficult. Accounting would probably be quite interesting but I haven't studied it before.

For medicine doing the 3 main sciences or 2 and maths is always preferable, but the more the better really.
Some Medical schools (e.g. UCL) like you to show breadth and take a 'different' fourth subject - e.g. a Humanities subject or English. Therefore, you may want to take a subject like Economics or Psychology. There's no point in doing Statistics if you do Maths really, but either Physics or Further Maths would work if you weren't worried about having to work ridiculously hard and having a very narrow focus.

Quick Reply

Latest