The Student Room Group

Does anyone else change channel when the national anthem comes on?

I can't listen to that crap. It makes me feel sick, even worse when people sing along like royal worshiping muppets.

It really needs changing to something that people can actually sing and mean.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RtGOAT
I can't listen to that crap. It makes me feel sick, even worse when people sing along like royal worshiping muppets.

It really needs changing to something that people can actually sing and mean.

I love the bational anthem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try to avoid watching things where they'll sing the national anthem, it's an awful anthem
I sit in silence when the anthems are played.
but it's amusing to see the people crying when it's pleased, what loons
Reply 5
Original post by barnetlad
I sit in silence when the anthems are played.

I generally do for other countries but for ours I change channel, can't be listening to the grovelling **** begging to be reigned over by a leech. Pleading with god to save her while forgetting anyone else (not that there is a god but its the sentiment).

It doesn't even mention the England once (well not the verse that is sung anyway).

A disgusting song.
Original post by RtGOAT
I generally do for other countries but for ours I change channel, can't be listening to the grovelling **** begging to be reigned over by a leech. Pleading with god to save her while forgetting anyone else (not that there is a god but its the sentiment).

It doesn't even mention the England once (well not the verse that is sung anyway).

A disgusting song.

Much as I wish to keep the monarchy and keep party politics out of one area of public life, God Save the Queen should only be played for a team representing Great Britain. I think for an England team Jerusalem should be played.
Reply 7
Original post by barnetlad
Much as I wish to keep the monarchy and keep party politics out of one area of public life, God Save the Queen should only be played for a team representing Great Britain. I think for an England team Jerusalem should be played.

But why should the team be forced/expected to sing it if they don't believe in the monarchy?
I use it as the toilet break time or time to raid the refrigerator for my next tv snack :biggrin:
Nope, I stand up smack my hand on my heart and sing at least four verses.
Depends on whether your English or from one of the other parts of the UK.
Original post by Alfissti
I use it as the toilet break time or time to raid the refrigerator for my next tv snack :biggrin:

So in other words you think the anthem is *****?
Also I am surprised by the amount of English (assumption, I have nothing to f-up) people who hate their own anthem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Laomedeia
So in other words you think the anthem is ****?
Also I am surprised by the amount of English (assumption, I have nothing to f-up) people who hate their own anthem.

But the anthem has nothing to do with England. Its all about sucking up to an outdated, abhorrent institution. That's the problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
I like it. It's a cool song.
I like the monarchy. Don't mind the song either way tbh.
Reply 15
You see all the other countries' anthems & the players and crowd go MENTAL. Then ours comes on...

I really think it is bad mentally for our players to start every game with such a melancholy song.

Uruguay were buzzing after finishing their's last night - our players looked like they just wanted to end it all right there on the pitch.

Plus the meaning of it is pretty retarded.
I don't change the channel, but I don't like the anthem - 'God Save the Queen' manages to encapsulate two outdated ideas into one song.
Original post by Laomedeia
So in other words you think the anthem is s****?

I like football for the skills of the players and team strategies, absolutely nothing to do with nationality or race.

Anthem? I like anthems based upon the beat and lyrics rather than what country it is from.
Well you're free to move to another country, maybe one that you don't know the language of the anthem? I'm sure the other 27 EU states will welcome you.
Reply 19
Original post by leedswest
Well you're free to move to another country, maybe one that you don't know the language of the anthem? I'm sure the other 27 EU states will welcome you.

Why should I have to move?

This is my country just as much as it is the queens.

Quick Reply

Latest