The Student Room Group

Average GCSE's for good universities?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrishBoyInLondon

Oh and as a final incentive to feeling better, My cousin got AABBBBBCC and now does Medicine at Cambridge. Think I'm lying? Well I have no way to prove it to you but just take my word. A strong A Level performance ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS outweighs that of GCSEs.

Sorry to interrupt! My I just ask, what a levels did you cousin take? And also what were his grades?:smile: in a similar position with GCSE grades and would like to know which subjects I have the best shot at medicine with! Thanks in advance!!
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
SERIOUSLY? I've been stressing over my GCSE grades cuz I did average! and was thinking I wouldnt get into some Unis! But now I feel a bit content and can enjoy summer peacefully haha

No don't stress! :smile: TSR wasn't really popular when I did my GCSE's (3 years ago) so I thought mine were ok, then I came on here and was like :redface: :redface: :redface: omg I will never get into uni. But it has never been a problem. I even took a gap year, re-applied again and still had 5 offers with my GCSEs which are mediocre compared to other TSR users.

I must note that I did go to a state school, so if your getting state school grades at private school then unis may think you could have achieved more. But still, I honestly think with the amount that goes into clearing nowadays, it would be ridiculous for even the top universities to be extremely stringent on GCSE grades. Don't stress! :-)
Original post by i-love-coffee
No don't stress! :smile: TSR wasn't really popular when I did my GCSE's (3 years ago) so I thought mine were ok, then I came on here and was like :redface: :redface: :redface: omg I will never get into uni. But it has never been a problem. I even took a gap year, re-applied again and still had 5 offers with my GCSEs which are mediocre compared to other TSR users.

I must note that I did go to a state school, so if your getting state school grades at private school then unis may think you could have achieved more. But still, I honestly think with the amount that goes into clearing nowadays, it would be ridiculous for even the top universities to be extremely stringent on GCSE grades. Don't stress! :-)

Oh wow thank you for this :smile: :smile:
I guess A level results much more and it seems like they will be looked at more than the GCSE results (and the personal statement) I'm gonna focus on getting the best A level results then so that it kind of rules out my GCSE results etc :smile:
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Oh wow thank you for this :smile: :smile:
I guess A level results much more and it seems like they will be looked at more than the GCSE results (and the personal statement) I'm gonna focus on getting the best A level results then so that it kind of rules out my GCSE results etc :smile:

Definitely a good plan. My PS was quite good, with lots of work experience and I was predicted AAB with good references from teachers.

Once your at uni, and your work experience starts to build up, you have to edit your CV to make room for degree & work. The first thing to give on mine was my GCSE grades which are now just characterised as 7A*-B to make room for a levels, uni and work. I've never been asked in which subjects my gcse grades were in once. (Although if your going into Law, you might be)
Original post by i-love-coffee
Definitely a good plan. My PS was quite good, with lots of work experience and I was predicted AAB with good references from teachers.

Once your at uni, and your work experience starts to build up, you have to edit your CV to make room for degree & work. The first thing to give on mine was my GCSE grades which are now just characterised as 7A*-B to make room for a levels, uni and work. I've never been asked in which subjects my gcse grades were in once. (Although if your going into Law, you might be)

Ooh thats interesting! Thank you! I'm hardly that worried now. I guess you worry more about the future than the past and A levels are regarded as more important anyway :smile:
OP, You may think those grades are average for TSR
But have a look around at a few statistics, and you'll see you're significantly above average
I think the average is 6 Cs. Taking Independents into account (which you wouldn't have to worry about if you go to a Comp) the average is perhaps 7.5 Cs (I know a lot of Public school boys and they think they're above the law, you'd be surprised how many fail).

So yeah you're above average dude. Hell, see the report by Ofsted this week? 32% of White boys who go to Comprehensives got 5 Cs, makes me feel like Superman tbh (seeing as I'm a white boy).

And just remember this, A Level Grades >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GCSEs. They might ask for an A in Maths GCSE at the very very worst (I'm talking Russell Group unis other than Oxbridge + Imperial), but even then they could be lenient if you got an A in Maths A Level which is OBVIOUSLY more weighted.

I had this kind of feeling after my GCSEs, felt really good after getting them, found TSR, then felt dreadful. But trust me you did above average, like really above average :biggrin:

Oh and as a final incentive to feeling better, My cousin got AABBBBBCC and now does Medicine at Cambridge. Think I'm lying? Well I have no way to prove it to you but just take my word. A strong A Level performance ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS outweighs that of GCSEs.

and don't let these bastards on TSR tell you GCSEs carry that much weight because that's such *******s. They carry 1% of weight, but potentially 0.1% if you do well these 2 years.

Okay I'm done with my rant now :P

Can you send me a link to this report please? I'm sure it'll be an interesting read!
Original post by ireallydontknow7
Sorry to interrupt! My I just ask, what a levels did you cousin take? And also what were his grades?:smile: in a similar position with GCSE grades and would like to know which subjects I have the best shot at medicine with! Thanks in advance!!

Practically what you'd expect :biggrin:

Chemistry, Biology (Literally 100% Essential), then he did Mathematics (Still looks good on the application) and then I believe the 4th one wouldn't harm you at all (some people get Es and Ds on TSR for their 4th subject) so probably choose an Arts subject as (no offence to anybody) it requires less time.

To be honest with you though, he did sit 5, not that the College thought ''Oh wow he's a genius, he can sit 5'', he sat Human Biology as a Private Candidate to give him that extra edge, plus they didn't offer it at his school so it seemed necessary.

Good luck!
Original post by Sacred Ground
Can you send me a link to this report please? I'm sure it'll be an interesting read!

For White Boys it's actually lower (28.7%), Girls actually drag our average up!! haha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27886925
Practically what you'd expect :biggrin:

Chemistry, Biology (Literally 100% Essential), then he did Mathematics (Still looks good on the application) and then I believe the 4th one wouldn't harm you at all (some people get Es and Ds on TSR for their 4th subject) so probably choose an Arts subject as (no offence to anybody) it requires less time.

To be honest with you though, he did sit 5, not that the College thought ''Oh wow he's a genius, he can sit 5'', he sat Human Biology as a Private Candidate to give him that extra edge, plus they didn't offer it at his school so it seemed necessary.

Good luck!

Ahh okay thank you for that!!:smile: do you mind me asking what grades he/she got?!
For White Boys it's actually lower (28.7%), Girls actually drag our average up!! haha

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27886925

Many thanks! This actually makes me seem smart, hurrah!
Original post by ireallydontknow7
Ahh okay thank you for that!!:smile: do you mind me asking what grades he/she got?!

A*A*AAB
(The B was in History luckily for him - which he dropped after Y12)
I know that sounds daunting but you really need to be on your A game (pardon the pun) from here on out if you want to be a doctor
Original post by Sacred Ground
Many thanks! This actually makes me seem smart, hurrah!

Glad to hear it!
Just remember, never ever ever listen to 99% of TSR
EVER!
A*A*AAB
(The B was in History luckily for him - which he dropped after Y12)
I know that sounds daunting but you really need to be on your A game (pardon the pun) from here on out if you want to be a doctor

Wow he did so well! I guess they only really look at gcse's if your a levels are lacking!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending