The Student Room Group

Super stressed about GCSEs

I’m so worried about my chances of getting into a good university since my GCSEs aren’t going as well as I hoped and I’m averaging a 6/8/9/9 in the GCSEs that I’m taking to A-Level. I’m worried that I might get a low grade in history (my 6) and that will impact my chances of getting into university. I really really love History but there’s just so much content and the exam itself is so stressful and my teacher rushed through everything.

I tried to teach myself what I’ve missed but I have to do that will give other subjects so I wasn’t able to finish everything.

I’ve been crying literally everyday due to the stress and I’ve been unable to sleep. I really want to do well in GCSEs but I don’t think I’ll be able to get all 9s.

I want to go to Durham or Warwick for an essay based degree but I feel they’ll reject me because of my GCSE grades since I’m weak at STEM subjects and I may get a 6 for History. Will they overlook that if I get a good A-Level result?
(edited 11 months ago)
They'll only be bothered about whether or not you meet the A Level entry requirements. They won't reject you over a 6 in History.
Original post by tiredartist21
I’m so worried about my chances of getting into a good university since my GCSEs aren’t going as well as I hoped and I’m averaging a 6/8/9/9 in the GCSEs that I’m taking to A-Level. I’m worried that I might get a low grade in history (my 6) and that will impact my chances of getting into university. I really really love History but there’s just so much content and the exam itself is so stressful and my teacher rushed through everything.

I tried to teach myself what I’ve missed but I have to do that will give other subjects so I wasn’t able to finish everything.

I’ve been crying literally everyday due to the stress and I’ve been unable to sleep. I really want to do well in GCSEs but I don’t think I’ll be able to get all 9s.

I want to go to Durham or Warwick for an essay based degree but I feel they’ll reject me because of my GCSE grades since I’m weak at STEM subjects and I may get a 6 for History. Will they overlook that if I get a good A-Level result?

Most universities only look at 5 GCSEs at grade 5 and above including English Language and Maths. A few will look at higher grades but universities dont expect everyone to get grade 9s. I dont know about these universities specifically but there will be many very good universities who will accept you on your grades.

Try and relax as you appear to be putting too much pressure on yourself. I dont know if you are having pressure from teachers or parents but please relax and just achieve the best you can. Most universities dont care about GCSE results other than English Language and Maths. The more relaxed you are the better you will do.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities only look at 5 GCSEs at grade 5 and above including English Language and Maths. A few will look at higher grades but universities dont expect everyone to get grade 9s. I dont know about these universities specifically but there will be many very good universities who will accept you on your grades.

Try and relax as you appear to be putting too much pressure on yourself. I dont know if you are having pressure from teachers or parents but please relax and just achieve the best you can. Most universities dont care about GCSE results other than English Language and Maths. The more relaxed you are the better you will do.

Thank you for those kind words. I’m just expected to get all 9s by a lot of people and I don’t want to disappoint them or myself since I spent nearly 8 months revising.
Original post by tiredartist21
Thank you for those kind words. I’m just expected to get all 9s by a lot of people and I don’t want to disappoint them or myself since I spent nearly 8 months revising.

Dont worry about letting others down. It is vital you relax to get your best results. Expectation is putting pressure on you which you dont need.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending