The Student Room Group

can i take a-level biology & chemistry with combined science

i was predicted 6s in biology and chemistry and a 7 in physics in November. i then moved to combined science thinking it would help me secure a top grade without the stress of memorising the additional triple content since i saw myself getting low grades in the topic tests. i am planning on doing medicine, will
if the sixth form you want to go to has entry requirements for bio and chem as 6 at least you can do it especially if you manage to get more
also universities don't really mind unless it's like Cambridge or oxford you have to get at least 5 7s
i hope you do well
Original post by sourgrls
i was predicted 6s in biology and chemistry and a 7 in physics in November. i then moved to combined science thinking it would help me secure a top grade without the stress of memorising the additional triple content since i saw myself getting low grades in the topic tests. i am planning on doing medicine, will
Yes you're going to be fine! Don't worry that much and I hope you'll have a blessed day.
Original post by niqabiforever21
if the sixth form you want to go to has entry requirements for bio and chem as 6 at least you can do it especially if you manage to get more
also universities don't really mind unless it's like Cambridge or oxford you have to get at least 5 7s
i hope you do well

That's not how either of those medical schools score GCSEs. Cambridge considers them holistically and doesn't have any formal requirements or cut offs. Oxford only scores number and proportion of 8/9 (A* equivalent) grades and on average successful applicants have around >10A*s at GCSE.

Original post by sourgrls

That aside, yes unless your school for some reason requires triple to continue to the A-level (which would be a school policy, and nothing to do with the A-level syllabus which only assumes combined science content) that is fine. Also just to add on to my above comment, not all medical schools score GCSEs at all - some (e.g. UCL, Imperial) just have minimum requirements of e.g. a 6 or above in English language and usually maths.

So even if you get more average GCSEs provided you take the right subjects and do well in them at A-level then you have as good a chance as anyone else for medicine, if you apply tactically (which everyone should, but far too many don't).

Quick Reply

Latest